Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

1 members and 2,880 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: ball python always "playing" in water bowl...I am worried about scale rot

*update*

Thank you all so much! Yes, I have moved her to a new water bowl (one that is really meant to be a human bowl, but it works great for her too) and I fill it with a little less water. What looked like the early stages of scale rot on her belly appear to be just little brown dots maybe scruffed from playing around at night because they are barley noticeable and not getting worse. She is also appearing slightly yellow (being a bel) and so might be starting to go into shed.

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Glad to hear she seems okay, & for changing to a better water bowl. I use 'human' bowls (not made for pets) for my snakes too- nothing wrong with that.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I bought my snakes some new bowls from Reptile Basics recently. I'm going back to the ceramic dog bowls for my Bloods and Col Boa. They keep flipping the new ones.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    Human stuff for snakes... My juvies right now all have glass bowls from IKEA. Lol.

My biggest male had his own ceramic dog bowl for a long while

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-03-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Human stuff for snakes... My juvies right now all have glass bowls from IKEA. Lol.

My biggest male had his own ceramic dog bowl for a long while
    I prefer heavy glass bowls for water for my snakes, & I sometimes find good ones (that won't tip- flat bottom & right size/depth) in thrift stores, but I also raid my own cupboards at times. For example, one of my large rat snakes has a large pale green (vintage "collectible") mixer bowl that I found but really wasn't using anyway. Whatever works, I say. Some "casserole" dishes work well too. Florists use glass bowls too, for arrangements, & the bowls end up in thrift stores or garage sales. No need to spend a fortune on water bowls for snakes- they're "everywhere" in all sizes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (01-03-2022)

Thanks

Yes, it's really great too because I have about 5 or 6 of the same bowl so I can switch them out in the enclosure while I'm doing something with the previous one. I also love it because you can stick them in the washing machine to clean them.

Quick question, I think some one said you can put those plastic black snake breeder hides in the washing machine too? I could be wrong about that but I wanted to clarify if that is alright to do.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Claire&snek View Post

Quick question, I think some one said you can put those plastic black snake breeder hides in the washing machine too? I could be wrong about that but I wanted to clarify if that is alright to do.
    I'm not sure- DWs get very hot (& not all the same), & at some point, most plastic will warp. Might ask the source (brand) for the hides if it's okay too, since we may be talking about different brands of hides here. (I think I've heard of ppl saying they do that- put in DW- but you want to make sure- each situation may differ.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12