Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,093

2 members and 3,091 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Enclosure backgrounds

So I want to get some Universal Rocks or Aquadecor backgrounds, but how do you disinfect them?? You can clean them with a brush, but I'm wondering about disinfecting specifically. I normally scrub my enclosures so they're clean, then spray them with a disinfectant, then wipe down with a damp towel. Can you do that with a porous background? How would you rinse it off effectively?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    That's a great question & precisely why I'd never install such a thing. I only put scenery on the outside of my tanks- never inside. I hope someone has a good answer though.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (12-29-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Enclosure backgrounds

Once upon a time I tried one of the Zilla 3D backgrounds that come with some of their 40 gallon breeders, but my BP would wedge himself behind it in such a way that I ended up just taking it out. I would hate for you to spend money on one of these really nice backgrounds just to have to constantly remove it if/when your snake gets stuck behind it. Not to mention the cleaning issues. I love the stick on aquarium backgrounds that most fish stores sell, they cling to the back of glass enclosures and give you a cool background, but I prefer not to use anything inside the enclosure other than normal décor. Hopefully if you're set on using these someone has some more experience with them, but for me the inserts like that just didn't work out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2021)

Thanks
    I can recall seeing other posts about snakes wedging themselves behind those backgrounds too, so it's more common than you think. And if the snake can get behind it, they may also leave "a little something" there too, so it quickly becomes unhealthy -something you cannot properly clean.

Thanks

I have a Universal Rocks background I bought many years ago for a fish tank, that I never used. Was a large one... the background I think being 48" long by 24" tall. I've toyed with the idea of using it in a PVC enclosure for a long time. But, I never actually did it, whether it be because I want to be sure I can sanitize easily, and also because I don't think that "look" goes well with all snakes. Though... I do think the specific background I have would work nice in the woma enclosure.

I'm following this thread for now. And, can hopefully can contribute more if I decide to go ahead and use the background.

The background I have is an exact duplicate of what I have in my fishtank pictured here.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2021),Homebody (12-29-2021)

Thanks

Also... "maybe" you can avoid the snake going behind the background by siliconing the background in place, avoiding any way for the snake to get behind it. So... needs to be explored, because I agree it's a problem if the snake gets behind the background.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (12-29-2021)

Thanks
    If you want a background that the snake can't get behind I recommend making one yourself with expanding foam. There are tons of tutorials out there and I'm currently finishing one up myself.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I wouldn't put anything in the enclosure that does not need to be there especially anything porous. Snakes do stupid stuff. I was down with COVID for a few weeks and I had babies hatching. We were short on tubs so my wife had to prep more. She made one airhole a tad too big. Long story short I walked in the snake room one morning and there was a baby stuck by its head in the airhole. I ended up having to cut the tub off of the snake. The hole it got its head through was less than a centimeter in diameter but still larger than the normal holes. I watched him when I put him in a new tub and he tried it again... More stuff just means more potential problems in my world. The decor is for you not them. They could care less.

All that said I use F10 to disinfect everything. I use bleach after a clutch is laid and put in the incubator. You have to be careful with bleach though. Everything must be rinsed and dried before the animal goes back in.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2021),Erie_herps (12-30-2021),Homebody (12-29-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I wouldn't put anything in the enclosure that does not need to be there especially anything porous. Snakes do stupid stuff. I was down with COVID for a few weeks and I had babies hatching. We were short on tubs so my wife had to prep more. She made one airhole a tad too big. Long story short I walked in the snake room one morning and there was a baby stuck by its head in the airhole. I ended up having to cut the tub off of the snake. The hole it got its head through was less than a centimeter in diameter but still larger than the normal holes. I watched him when I put him in a new tub and he tried it again... More stuff just means more potential problems in my world. The decor is for you not them. They could care less.

All that said I use F10 to disinfect everything. I use bleach after a clutch is laid and put in the incubator. You have to be careful with bleach though. Everything must be rinsed and dried before the animal goes back in.
    So scary, finding a baby snake with it's head stuck in a vent-hole- that could not have been fun, carefully cutting him free from the tub. And they sure DO remember what "worked" (or almost worked) before, & they try it again. I'm so glad you got to him in time. I don't care how nice some "decor" might look, it's all about safety first for me too. Snakes do some weird crazy things sometimes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (12-29-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

I have a Universal Rocks backdrop and ledge combo in with one snake, and a background feature rock in with another. I've attached both by screwing the fixtures into the back wall so they're flush flat against it and then going around and sealing the edges of the fixture with silicone so there are no gaps. Never have had a problem with a snake (or their mess) getting behind them.

There's no way to truly disinfect any porous surface -- Universal Rocks products, wood, non-impervious PVC, or otherwise. I just spot and deep clean the Universal Rocks stuff with Dawn, water, and a good scrub as needed. As long as the backside soft foamy bits are sealed away and you're not dealing with any nasty bugs, it's enough to keep things clean. Your normal cleaning procedure sounds like it would work just fine! Just be a little careful if you're using diluted bleach -- it's great as a disinfectant, but sometimes bleach can eat away at things such as plastic.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2021),Charles8088 (12-29-2021),Erie_herps (12-30-2021),Homebody (12-29-2021),Hugsplox (12-30-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast