Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,208

2 members and 1,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Arboreal species for a 4x2x2 enclosure

Mods... If this is the wrong forum for this question, please move it to the appropriate section. I couldn't find a forum good to discuss multiple different species.

What would be a good arboreal species that would work in a 4x2x2 minimum enclosure, but possibly as tall as 4' (4' enclosure height, that is). The larger the species for this sized enclosure, the better, but I am flexible.

Any recommendations?

I already have a Ball Python, Mexican Black Kingsnake, Boa Imperator, and a Woman Python... all females.
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa!

Unless you don't have $8-10k for a snake.....Then maybe a big Carpet Python.

Man I want a Amazon Basin!
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (12-28-2021),dakski (12-28-2021),Gio (02-11-2022)

Thanks

Re: Arboreal species for a 4x2x2 enclosure

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa!

Unless you don't have $8-10k for a snake.....Then maybe a big Carpet Python.

Man I want a Amazon Basin!
    I forgot to mention.... would prefer a snake that does well being handled often. I know ATB's are handleable, but I'd like something a bit more interactive. I already have a few ideas... but like to see what others say... sometimes we unintentionally overlook a particular species.

Agree on the carpet python. Would love a Bredli Carpet Python.
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles8088 For This Useful Post:

Gio (02-11-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charles8088 View Post
    I forgot to mention.... would prefer a snake that does well being handled often. I know ATB's are handleable, but I'd like something a bit more interactive. I already have a few ideas... but like to see what others say... sometimes we unintentionally overlook a particular species.

Agree on the carpet python. Would love a Bredli Carpet Python.
    Yeah a ETB is not one I want to be tagged by. Luckily my Northern is awesome. I don't think she's even hissed at me before, not that I can remember.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-11-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 417 Posts
    Not an arboreal, but on your want list and quite handleable: Black Milksnake. I have a breeding pair, and they're quite enjoyable captives. I keep mine in 48 x 24 x 12" enclosures, but an extra foot or two of height would be well used.

Rainbow boas are another arboreal-ish possibility -- I keep mine in 48 x 24 x 18", but again more height would be used.
    Last edited by Malum Argenteum; 12-28-2021 at 03:40 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (02-11-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

I forgot to mention.... would prefer a snake that does well being handled often. I know ATB's are handleable, but I'd like something a bit more interactive. I already have a few ideas... but like to see what others say... sometimes we unintentionally overlook a particular species...
    With this in mind, I'll toss in a name that isn't typically classified as arboreal, but which may fit your criteria, judging from the one I have. I'm not so sure about the 4' height, but my 4' long, solo 14 year old female certainly uses her 2' of tank height to frequently bask on her branches under a heat source*, & what's more, she handles beautifully without biting & happily eats f/t from tongs. She is VERY strong when handled & is therefore well-adapted to climbing branches. (*UTH is also provided & used occasionally, & btw, she is always fed while basking on her branches- that's how comfortable she is there.)

Nice iridescence is a bonus with Antaresia too. I'm talking about my Australian spotted python. I have taken her to lengthy public "meet-&-greets" that lasted hours- she was docile & like a pro with all the handling. She does like the warmth of human hands anyway, & she seems to be naturally curious- not shy. In a taller enclosure with branches, I can picture her using the space, along with maybe a "sky-hide" & a basket wired to branches for a platform, as I do for some other snakes I have.

You might also consider a nice American rat snake- such as an Everglades (beautiful orange-tend to be feisty, especially when young, but handles pretty well when raised from hatchling) or a Baird's rat snake (grey-silver with orange/yellow- generally very docile snakes- great for "public relations"). Either of these are likely to out-grow this 4 x 2 x 2 enclosure, but they'll take quite a while doing so. Just a thought- most rat snakes are very under-rated, IMO.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-28-2021 at 04:03 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (12-28-2021),JodanOrNoDan (12-28-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    With this in mind, I'll toss in a name that isn't typically classified as arboreal, but which may fit your criteria, judging from the one I have. I'm not so sure about the 4' height, but my 4' long, solo 14 year old female certainly uses her 2' of tank height to frequently bask on her branches under a heat source*, & what's more, she handles beautifully without biting & happily eats f/t from tongs. She is VERY strong when handled & is therefore well-adapted to climbing branches. (*UTH is also provided & used occasionally, & btw, she is always fed while basking on her branches- that's how comfortable she is there.)

Nice iridescence is a bonus with Antaresia too. I'm talking about my Australian spotted python. I have taken her to lengthy public "meet-&-greets" that lasted hours- she was docile & like a pro with all the handling. She does like the warmth of human hands anyway, & she seems to be naturally curious- not shy. In a taller enclosure with branches, I can picture her using the space, along with maybe a "sky-hide" & a basket wired to branches for a platform, as I do for some other snakes I have.

You might also consider a nice American rat snake- such as an Everglades (beautiful orange-tend to be feisty, especially when young, but handles pretty well when raised from hatchling) or a Baird's rat snake (grey-silver with orange/yellow- generally very docile snakes- great for "public relations"). Either of these are likely to out-grow this 4 x 2 x 2 enclosure, but they'll take quite a while doing so. Just a thought- most rat snakes are very under-rated, IMO.
    Australian spotted pythons are nice. But, I think I've prefer a bit larger (though, not definitely). How big is yours, and how big you think the females get?
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Not an arboreal, but on your want list and quite handleable: Black Milksnake. I have a breeding pair, and they're quite enjoyable captives. I keep mine in 48 x 24 x 12" enclosures, but an extra foot or two of height would be well used.

Rainbow boas are another arboreal-ish possibility -- I keep mine in 48 x 24 x 18", but again more height would be used.
    Both nice snakes. I have a Mexican Black king ... similar in looks to the black milksnake ?except height). Though, I will admit I've been looking for a nice black milk, because I would love a thicker bodied all-blacl snake. And, Eastern indigos are not an easy choice, though would die to have one.
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Australian spotted pythons are nice. But, I think I've prefer a bit larger (though, not definitely). How big is yours, and how big you think the females get?
    As I said, mine ("she") is about 4' long, maybe a little longer, as she's hard to measure (she's not inclined to straighten out).

The trouble with your "ask" is that most really arboreal snakes aren't known for their "social suitability", having both sizable dentition & the inclination to use it.

My adult Trans Pecos rat snakes are a little bigger (4.5 - 5' long) and they excel at handling (docile, not biters, like handling). And they do use their branches quite a bit & gracefully, but I wouldn't classify them as arboreal. The adults should have a wider home than just 2', even though they enjoy & use branches (& also baskets wired to them for platforms).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-28-2021 at 04:33 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Charles8088 (12-28-2021)

Thanks
    If you're actually interested in keeping a Trans Pecos rat snake, that size enclosure 'might' work fine for one- it's just that I've not tried that & hesitate to recommend it, but let me see what Dusty Rhoads has to say in his book, The Complete Suboc, & I'll get back to you, or you can dig up a copy in your local library (maybe?). They do get my highest rating for being docile, curious & easily-handled- & they fit your size request. Mine are never in homes shorter (lengthwise) than 3' though. They do enjoy the branches (etc.) that I install for them, & they aren't inclined to hide much unless in shed. You might be able to make that size home work?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast