Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

2 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Children's Pythons

hello everyone

i am looking for information on children's pythons since i am thinking of keeping one and i want to do as much research as possible before i get one or just general antaresia

does anyone have any resources i can look at or have a perspective on what it's like to keep one? general care and requirements would be helpful

sorry if this question has been asked endless times before, i just want to get as much information as possible
    pictures are welcomed

thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Hi & Let me first refer you to a recent thread, & then see what further questions you have, ok?

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...en%27s+pythons

There's several of us here keeping some Antaresia- I have one "Spotted" python (granite phase), no "Children's pythons" but consider they're very similar, with Spotted getting slightly larger.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (12-22-2021),Homebody (12-22-2021),Hugsplox (12-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Children's Pythons

Welcome to the forums!

Happy to see someone else asking about Antaresia! There was some great info shared in the thread that Boger linked you to, so after you've read through it let us know. I love talking about these awesome little snakes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (12-23-2021)

Thanks
    thanks for the thread, it has a lot of good information! i really like hearing first-hand experiences from people who own them!

they seem like fun little pythons lots of personality!

antaresia are so overlooked would you say they are good for beginners?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blisterbeetle View Post
    thanks for the thread, it has a lot of good information! i really like hearing first-hand experiences from people who own them!

they seem like fun little pythons lots of personality!

antaresia are so overlooked would you say they are good for beginners?
    Yes, the larger Antaresia (Children's or Spotteds) would be a good beginner snake, as long as you understand & correctly set-up their home for the temperatures & humidity they need.

The fact that they PREFER dead prey items & easily take f/t (frozen thawed) mice of the appropriate size actually, in my opinion, makes them a better pet than a ball python, as does the fact that they don't much care if their meal has lifelike warmth either, the way ball pythons do, & even though they too have heat-sensing pits.

Snakes that are easier to feed, & that don't go on extended fasts the way many (or most) BPs do makes them much better pets, IMO. Like BPs, they stay small & easy to handle, but they're also more curious & outgoing- making them more fun to keep & watch.

Every kind of pet has pros & cons, but as snakes go, Antaresia is worth seeking for a pet, even though they aren't as common as BPs, nor as colorful.

Overall, I'd say Children's/Spotted pythons are easier than ball pythons, but harder to keep than corn snakes. In terms of experience, they're "do-able" for beginners that do their "homework".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-24-2021 at 10:57 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (12-23-2021)

Thanks

thank you again! i will definitely do my research, i would only want the best for any reptile!

this might be kind of a silly question but i see a lot of differing opinions on what humidity should be used for children's/spotted pythons.. are they able to tolerate a wide range of humidity or does it just not matter that much?

i think most reptiles would be fine not following every single care guide to a T but maybe i'm just inexperienced

Thanks

thank you again! i will definitely do my research, i would only want the best for any reptile!

this might be kind of a silly question but i see a lot of differing opinions on what humidity should be used for children's/spotted pythons.. are they able to tolerate a wide range of humidity or does it just not matter that much?

i think most reptiles would be fine not following every single care guide to a T but maybe i'm just inexperienced
    I honestly don't obsess about humidity. My area of the U.S. is humid, but as you likely know, our HVAC systems suck a lot of humidity out of our homes anyway, as does heating the snake's home.

My Spotted python has always lived in a glass tank with screen top, not covered to retain humidity. BUT: she has 3 hides, one cool (no heat), one over the UTH (heated), & one with some warmth & humidity (moist sphagnum moss)- she needs the humid hide to shed well. (I do not use a humid substrate either. If I did, I could probably skip the humid hide.) She also has an over-head heat source. I got her in 2009, at roughly one year old, so that's a long time that I've had her- even though she's my only Antaresia to judge from. She also sports a very healthy iridescence.

Another advantage compared to BPs is that you'll never need to size up from mice to rats, or worry about whether your pet snake will accept the new smell & taste of rats. Antaresia start on mouse pinkies, BPs start on mouse hoppers usually (they have a bigger head/mouth). So Antaresia will be cheaper to feed, since mice (any size) cost less than rats, plus you won't be throwing food away either, or very rarely (like only if you thaw food before noticing your snake is deep in shed).

Antaresia are not known for refusing food- not only aren't they fussy eaters, but mine reliably grabs her prey from my feeding tongs. Easy! The only thing that makes them "harder" than keeping a corn snake is that they need more warmth.

One other difference between these 2 modest-size pythons is that while a BP may hang onto you, a spotted python has a very strong grip for such a small python- she means nothing by it- she just doesn't want to fall- she climbs very well & enjoys her branches & driftwood. BPs are mostly terrestrial, while Antaresia are at home climbing on branches. Their body is more slender than a BP- my mature python is roughly 4', whereas BPs may exceed that length.

There's no such thing as a silly question- ask away! This counts as research.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (12-23-2021),Homebody (12-24-2021)

Thanks

sounds like a great snake to have!! i really appreciate all the information! do you think a 40 gallon tank would be big enough of an enclosure for an adult?

Thanks

sounds like a great snake to have!! i really appreciate all the information! do you think a 40 gallon tank would be big enough of an enclosure for an adult?
    Yes, a 40 gal. would be just perfect for an adult Australian Spotted python. (or Children's) They really make a nice size pet (not too big) as adults.

One other thing, & you might ask the question as a separate thread to make sure the other Antaresia keepers here see it & respond (or pm them). If you've been reading a lot on BPs, most here keep them in fairly tight quarters while they're young, otherwise they won't eat- they need to feel secure. Well, I've only had this one Spotted python & got her as a yearling- she was still tiny at that point, but I kept her in a rather spacious 20 gal. right off the bat, & she wasn't a bit shy- in fact, she ate the first day home with me, & virtually never refuses meals.

I'm just not positive whether that applies to all Antaresia, even as fresh hatchlings- but mine has always been pretty "outgoing". She used her hides, & I left her alone to settle in and digest, just delivered pinkies on schedule, but I'd see her roaming around exploring too- she obviously approved of the place, lol. From what others here have posted about theirs, I don't think mine is at all exceptional.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-24-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If you've been reading a lot on BPs, most here keep them in fairly tight quarters while they're young, otherwise they won't eat- they need to feel secure. Well, I've only had this one Spotted python & got her as a yearling- she was still tiny at that point, but I kept her in a rather spacious 20 gal. right off the bat, & she wasn't a bit shy- in fact, she ate the first day home with me, & virtually never refuses meals.
    i have read that about ball pythons! that's really fascinating, they seem like such good eaters the only big negative thing i have heard about antaresia is that some can be nippy?

have any pictures of your spotted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast