Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

0 members and 2,875 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Some cage set up questions

I’m getting a jungle carpet python next month and just had a few questions. I appreciate any responses if anyone has any ideas.

1. I plan on keeping her in a 36” tub as quarantine and until she’s a little bigger. If I do this, is a UTH fine as the only heat source for ~6 months?

2. If I am able to use the tub temporarily, would just branches (like grape wood) work as perches/climbing, or should I also modify it somehow to have PVC or bamboo perches going across? If the latter, any ideas on how to secure those in a tub?

3. I plan on upgrading to a 4x2x3 PVC cage whenever it arrives (my last one took about 6-7 months from AP Cages). This will still be temporary, I plan on upgrading all of my snakes once space is not an issue. I have the same question as the second, how would I secure PVC or bamboo for her to perch on? In my crested geckos cage I siliconed in shower rod holders and put the bamboo in those, but I don’t know if that’s secure enough for a carpet python and I don’t want her to get hurt if it falls.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    1. That depends on the temp of the room it is in. Maybe... But, probably not. You may need a heat lamp as well. I've done that in tubs and it works fine. A CHE will as well.

2. That will depend on the size of the snake and the room you have to work with. Hardware stores will have closet rod holders like these in different sizes. They come in wood as well but I got plastic so they are easy to clean.

PRIME-LINE N 6568 Closet Pole Sockets, 1-3/8 in., Plastic, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007UTSALU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

That would be easy to epoxy or bolt into a plastic tub.... And PVC cage. I actually just bought those to make some perches myself. I have a bamboo thicket in my backyard I'm going to get the perches from.

3. Same as 2.
    Last edited by KMG; 12-17-2021 at 02:50 AM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-17-2021)

Thanks
    Thank you for the help! I will look into those things. So excited to receive her next month.