Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

0 members and 2,880 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I consider my 7ft easy to handle but I'm a big and very strong guy and she's a puppy dog. I got her a few months back and the previous owner did a great job raising her up.

My big Blood is more of a challenge. She's 6ft but she's so girthy and heavy. She's very good with handling like the boa but how she's built changes the game. Even with my large hands she's hard to grab at times.

Now say either were in a bad mood. That would change things considerably. I don't think I would have any issues but like already stated I know how to handle them and what not to let them do... Like ever coil all the around my neck. They can choke a person without trying or even realizing it, and it doesn't take a long time to choke a person out. A person could accidentally get hurt by just not knowing a simple thing like that.
    Last edited by KMG; 12-23-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-23-2021),Homebody (12-23-2021),nikkubus (12-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Re: Is it safe to handle a 8 foot boa alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxdexter View Post
    Yeah, I won't get a snake anytime soon, because my mom is terrified of them, but I want a Boa in my life. I see females get really thick compared to males, so that was a good sized boa. I need experience with constrictors first to be honest to know what it's like. I can then see how I feel about handling large snakes.
    That's a good plan for now. Always keep in mind that despite the way so many people describe a snake that relentlessly bites as being "aggressive", such snakes are usually afraid & being defensive- only biting us out of fear. I was just the first one to handle that boa that understood her, & was able to show her she was entirely safe with me- thus she learned she had no reason to bite me, ever.

With a snake that has that much power & size, you want to make sure they feel safe, just as you want to feel relaxed when you handle them. Bites are best avoided- especially BIG ones. It's not common, but people have had permanent injury (such as nerve damage in their hands) from severe bites, so depending on your line of work or life goals- it's really best to avoid that.

Of course, snakes also make mistakes at feeding times & accidentally land a bite, but experience with snakes & using smart techniques will prevent those bites. Big snakes do pack quite a big punch when it comes to grabbing prey- & I agree, your mom would NOT be okay with even just seeing that. And yes, my 7.5'+ female boa was "girthy". Fortunately by the time she grew large under my care, she was very sweet & cuddly- not so shy any longer.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (12-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    I consider my 7ft easy to handle but I'm a big and very strong guy and she's a puppy dog. I got her a few months back and the previous owner did a great job raising her up.

My big Blood is more of a challenge. She's 6ft but she's so girthy and heavy. She's very good with handling like the boa but how she's built changes the game. Even with my large hands she's hard to grab at times.

Now say either were in a bad mood. That would change things considerably. I don't think I would have any issues but like already stated I know how to handle them and what not to let them do... Like ever coil all the around my neck. They can choke a person without trying or even realizing it, and it doesn't take a long time to choke a person out. A person could accidentally get hurt by just not knowing a simple thing like that.
    Do you think your blood python could kill an adult cat just out of curiosity?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Yes, easily. She could kill many small to medium sized dogs.

My smaller male Blood, Col Boa, Dum, and BRB could take out a cat as well.
    Last edited by KMG; 01-07-2022 at 05:30 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

This is not something that you EVER leave to chance when keeping snakes & other pets. Dogs or cats or anything else- keep them separated at all times from your snakes. Accidents happen fast.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-07-2022),Homebody (01-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    I know my ball python could easily kill my green cheek conure if he was so inclined. Indeed, in turn the GCC could do some damage back even unprovoked (he's drawn blood from me more than once). Needless to say, I never handle both at the same time and never have either one's enclosures open without the other's closed either.

Bottom line, don't imitate all those "cute" viral images/videos of a bunch of random animals (especially predator and prey) hanging out together. That's always asking for trouble.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-07-2022),Homebody (01-08-2022),SS snakes (01-10-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12