Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,071

1 members and 3,070 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Venomous snake found lurking in family's Christmas tree

Seems there's more than one way to get snakes for Christmas? (What's in a name, eh? They should have been expecting this from Santa? LOL)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/14/afric...ntl/index.html

Venomous snake found lurking in family's Christmas tree

By Lianne Kolirin, CNN
    Updated 10:08 AM ET, Tue December 14, 2021

Now PlayingFamily finds deadly...

Family finds deadly snake in Christmas tree 01:13

(CNN)There's usually a sense of excitement about what lies beneath the Christmas tree, but for one festive family the biggest surprise was lurking in the branches up above.

Rob and Marcela Wild wasted no time in calling in a professional after they discovered one of Africa's most venomous snakes hiding between the tinsel and baubles at their home in South Africa on Friday.
    Having decorated the tree just hours earlier, they spotted their cats staring at its branches.

Deadly and 'very agitated' snake found in English shipping container

Rob Wild, a British stock market trader who moved with his Costa Rican wife to South Africa 18 years ago, told CNN on Tuesday: "The cats were peering into the tree and my wife said 'there's probably a mouse in there somewhere.'"

They soon discovered a rather different animal staring back, however -- a boomslang.

"I didn't know what it was at the time but then I Googled what snakes are in our area and it came up immediately as a boomslang. I thought 'holy Moses, this is the king of all poisonous snakes,'" the 55-year-old said.
    The boomslang is known as a shy species, but it is one of the most venomous in Africa. The animal's venom causes hemorrhages and can be fatal to humans in small amounts.

The Wild family discovered the deadly serpent at their home in the Western Cape.

Snake catcher Gerrie Heyns confirmed the animal's identity when he arrived at the family's property in Robertson, the Western Cape, soon afterwards. The snake was female and between 1.3 meters (4.3 feet) and 1.5 meters (4.9 feet) long, Heyns told CNN on Tuesday.
    He said he instructed the family to stay away from the tree, but to "keep their eyes on the snake" until his arrival.
    "The snake stayed in the tree for two hours until I got there," Heyns said. He used "snake tongs" to place it on the floor, where it was "easier to handle," he added.
    "Once I had it under control the family came right up to see the snake. It didn't try to bite or be defensive because I gave it no reason to. A scary moment turned into an exciting moment for the children," Heyns said.

Snake catcher Gerrie Heyns recovered the animal from the family's tree.

He then held it behind the neck and placed it in a "snake tube." As it was getting dark, Heyns took the reptile home where he temporarily housed it in a snake enclosure before releasing it back into the wild on Sunday.
    Heyns said the snake would have likely entered the property in search of food, water and shelter.
    "Probably when it saw the first movement it tried to escape into the nearest hiding place which was the tree," he said.
    Heyns, who has removed hundreds of snakes from South African homes, said that bites from a boomslang are rare.

Heyns said that in his eight years as a professional catcher, he has only been bitten once -- and that was because he hadn't realized the animal had been shot and was acting defensively.
    "They (snakes) are very reluctant to bite but have just been demonized so much," he added.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (12-14-2021),Homebody (12-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Venomous snake found lurking in family's Christmas tree

I'd love to get a snake for Christmas, but not that snake.

Thanks
    That would be a nice surprise to find, lol.

Thanks
    Much as I love finding snakes, I must admit that a boomslang wouldn't have been my first choice either. But I'm glad everyone, including the snake, was okay.

Hey, he was just looking for his present from Santa...? (Actually, if it was a real tree, it might have had the scent of birds & rodents on it too?)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

"The snake stayed in the tree for two hours until I got there," Heyns said. He used "snake tongs" to place it on the floor, where it was "easier to handle," he added.
    "Once I had it under control the family came right up to see the snake. It didn't try to bite or be defensive because I gave it no reason to. A scary moment turned into an exciting moment for the children," Heyns said.

Aw, this part was very sweet. And I like that they emphasized that even though it's a dangerous species it will leave you alone if you keep your distance. I live in rattlesnake country and people here are also mostly fascinated by them and are always excited to see one by a trail and view it from a distance instead of running screaming.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2021),Erie_herps (12-15-2021),Homebody (12-14-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    Aw, this part was very sweet. And I like that they emphasized that even though it's a dangerous species it will leave you alone if you keep your distance. I live in rattlesnake country and people here are also mostly fascinated by them and are always excited to see one by a trail and view it from a distance instead of running screaming.

I totally agree- and I liked the way this article handled the subject & ended on that note.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (12-15-2021)