Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,393

5 members and 3,388 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: How do I heat a wooden enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    Yes the accesability would be a problem to get around somehow. But I don't really want to put the heatmat in the cage without something to seperate it from the snake, since everyones pointing out everywhere how dangerous a heatmat can be when the snake has access to it.

Unfortunately I can't use the Bio Dudes Mix since I am not from the US. A selfmade mix would be possible but I have not yet found a good recipe for a substrate to use without a drainage layer.
    Yeah you definitely need some between your snake and a heat mat.

Makes sense to why you need a drainage layer then.

Is this enclosure just a wooden box? I know someone people who will seal the wood so it's not as flammable and does better with the constant humidity. If the wood is sealed I wonder if you can just continue to use your RHP even make a PVC top if you're concerned about screwing it into wood or PVC bottom if the bottom is a concern endurance wise.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    Yeah you definitely need some between your snake and a heat mat.

Makes sense to why you need a drainage layer then.

Is this enclosure just a wooden box? I know someone people who will seal the wood so it's not as flammable and does better with the constant humidity. If the wood is sealed I wonder if you can just continue to use your RHP even make a PVC top if you're concerned about screwing it into wood or PVC bottom if the bottom is a concern endurance wise.

It's a kind of of plywood enclosure with a glass front.
    I would have also thought about taking of the wood bottom and replacing it with a pvc one. But I already sealed the whole viv with epoxy, so I don't think I can get the bottom off again.

Thanks

It's a kind of of plywood enclosure with a glass front.
    I would have also thought about taking of the wood bottom and replacing it with a pvc one. But I already sealed the whole viv with epoxy, so I don't think I can get the bottom off again.
    Makes sense. I'm not sure how you can do it other than seal up that wood really good with epoxy like you did. I still believe you could use your RHP in it but you still have to figure out some solution since how you have it step up in the other tank is giving you problems. Is there a way you could maybe cut the top so that you could put the RHP on top of the enclosure and not in it? Just have a single metal screen so he can't hurt himself like he keeps trying to do in the other enclosure? This is just an idea and if others who have more experience with the diy stuff should definitely chime in lol. Check out all the reptile YouTube channels that diy stuff and maybe you'll get inspiration there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Since I want to make it bioactive I'd have to use a drainage layer and substrate. So I'd have to find a way to seal the edges of the pvc board so that no water can get to the mat.
    Furthermore I'd have to make a kind of hole in the substrate so that my snake can get to the heat from the mat. So more of a in the ground hide.
    Do you get what I mean? Think it could work?
    All due respect, this is a terrible idea. You're talking about putting a heat mat inside the enclosure in something that you're going to have to constantly add water to. Regardless of how well you think you seal it, the risk of having something electrical with water sitting on top of it is pretty obvious. A RHP is plenty IMO in an enclosure that holds heat well. Take the big PVC enclosures like a T10. All I have in there is a ProProducts RHP and it does exactly what I need it to do without having any other heat source. It creates a nice warm hide and a nice temperature gradient moving down towards the cool side.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2021),dakski (12-14-2021),Homebody (12-13-2021),Mr. Misha (12-13-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12