Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,802

1 members and 2,801 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    OK, tank temps brought up to 76. At the show now. Tomorrow to Snakesville!

Thanks
    Next question. Snake home. Currently hibernating. Air temps consistent from 75-80. Humidity 55-75%. Warm side at 89-91 and cool side at 78-82. All good.

How long should I wait to attempt feeding? Breeder said 3-4 days. Or should Ghost be left alone for a good week or so?

Ghost explored his tank extensively for the first hour and then has been in his hide for the last 48 hours (as far as I know). Seems happy as he sleeps with his head able to see out of his hide. Pics to follow.

BTW, Ghost is a Lemon Pastel Enchi Yellow Belly Het Pied, 50% Het Ghost……boy that’s a lot of genes! Bought from ML Exotics (Matt Lee).
    Last edited by MR Snakes; 01-11-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I assume you meant "sleeping"? And snakes brumate, they don't hibernate.

Anyway, as to how long to wait before offering food (& assuming you're not handling at all), I'd see how the snake acts in 4 days- if he seems to be looking for food (& by that I mean he's watching from the doorway of his hide- most likely- & in the evening hours- and NOT "cruising the enclosure"- you might go ahead & offer him food, but it won't hurt to wait a few more days either- the main thing is to wait until he's really ready to accept food. Failure is no fun. Your temps sound fine, btw-
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: BP tank set up + accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I assume you meant "sleeping"? And snakes brumate, they don't hibernate.

Anyway, as to how long to wait before offering food (& assuming you're not handling at all), I'd see how the snake acts in 4 days- if he seems to be looking for food (& by that I mean he's watching from the doorway of his hide- most likely- & in the evening hours- and NOT "cruising the enclosure"- you might go ahead & offer him food, but it won't hurt to wait a few more days either- the main thing is to wait until he's really ready to accept food. Failure is no fun. Your temps sound fine, btw-

Ok, ok. So he’s sleeping, napping or slacking off. Ha! He’s doing something that he has not asked permission for! So it’s very confusing when you get differing instructions from the breeder. He said 3-4 days then if he’s chill (which he is), then handle away. He also said to always feed in a separate place so he doesn’t associate reaching into his enclosure with a feeding response. Huh? It is nice as he is about 8 months old and already on frozen weanling rats so no ordeal in transferring over from live to not so live.
    Last edited by MR Snakes; 01-11-2022 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2022),Homebody (01-11-2022)

Thanks

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2022),Homebody (01-11-2022)

Thanks

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2022),Homebody (01-11-2022),Snow Balls (01-11-2022)

Thanks

You’re supposed to wait at least three times that they will eat for you until you handle. It’s an error on the side of caution approach, you don’t want to risk an animal who won’t eat for you. Then you’re stressed, they’re stressed, it’s just all around not fun. Same thing goes for the wait a week until feeding

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Ok, ok. So he’s sleeping, napping or slacking off. Ha! He’s doing something that he has not asked permission for! So it’s very confusing when you get differing instructions from the breeder. He said 3-4 days then if he’s chill (which he is), then handle away. He also said to always feed in a separate place so he doesn’t associate reaching into his enclosure with a feeding response. Huh? It is nice as he is about 8 months old and already on frozen weanling rats so no ordeal in transferring over from live to not so live.
    (At the risk of sounding like an echo) It's up to you, but personally I suggest you feed this snake IN his normal home, where he feels safe & secure & brave enough to grab prey. That is also the standard advice on this forum. Your breeder's advice is a bit goofy, IMO- & this makes me wonder how long he's been breeding snakes & keeping BPs. Or maybe he really wanted to make a sale so he told you just what you wanted to hear. Hmm?

This has been discussed so many times on this forum...you're more likely to get bit handling a hungry snake before or after feeding whenever you put them in another location just to feed- also, there's nothing to stop them from associating YOUR scent with food, instead of associating their home with being fed. Duh? Either way, you can get bit- much better to learn their body language & use other ways to signal them that you are not edible. Also- handling a snake to put them in another enclosure to feed will often cause a shy feeder to refuse food, & picking them up afterwards if they do manage to eat may also make them barf up what they just ate. So many reasons it's better to feed a snake where they live!

And as to "handle away" after only one successful feeding, again, it's not what I'd advise. Handling distracts most snakes from their feeding instincts- I've probably said this a million times now, but in the wild, the only thing that picks up a snake is a predator about to EAT them- so handling often puts young snakes off eating, which may also put their health at risk. Better to be cautious & let the new BP have at multiple successful feedings (3+) WITH YOU before you start handling any more than what's essential. (Psst, put the snake's needs first. It's a living creature with feelings- not a toy.)

When you buy a new snake, you cannot SEE what he may have been exposed to & what germs are lurking to cause infection. New homes are scary for snakes, & a snake under stress is just more likely to get sick from pathogens, because much like us, their immune system is linked to stress- more stress risks their health, just like it does for us. It's your choice, & maybe you'll be lucky, who knows? But I disagree with your source. Good luck.

It IS a good thing that this snake is 8 mos. old- that helps- he's likely used to being handled some- but he's still in a new home with "strangers". And admittedly, I prefer to be cautious- I've just always found it easier to keep snakes healthy & long-lived than to try to get them well again after they get sick. Silly me. So it's totally your call- we don't all advise the same things, but giving you my best advice here.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-11-2022 at 08:56 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-12-2022)

Thanks
    OK, just got off the phone with the owner and he agreed with everything you have said and will talk with the guy who talked with us. The breeder was the largest at the show, even larger than NERD which surprisingly had not many Balls. All straightened out. Ghost will be alright!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2022)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast