Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,164

2 members and 3,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: BP tank set up + accessories

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh, no, lol...I wasn't implying anything of the sort! But if there was such a list, it might have been in a thread, rather than one of our "sticky" posts that are easier to reference. (Our regular search function leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.) Or possibly it was something you saw elsewhere?

As far as having to log back in, just be sure to check off where it says "keep me signed in" when you first log back in. If that's not working for you, let me know?

Thanks. What ever happened to Zena? Is she still around?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Thanks. What ever happened to Zena? Is she still around?
    Zina10 (-assuming that's who you meant?) hasn't been around in quite a while- not since 02-10-2020 @ 09:54 PM- she had a lot going on, as I recall.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-07-2021 at 10:56 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

You've gotten a ton of help for the enclosure but there's something else that I wanted to point out. Are you having your snake shipped? Shipping is often delayed around the holidays and I think it would be best to wait for the safety of the snake. It's not fun having to wait until getting a snake but it's much better than having the snake possibly arrive dead due to a delay in shipping.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2021),dakski (12-10-2021),Homebody (12-08-2021),MR Snakes (12-09-2021),Snow Balls (12-08-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    You've gotten a ton of help for the enclosure but there's something else that I wanted to point out. Are you having your snake shipped? Shipping is often delayed around the holidays and I think it would be best to wait for the safety of the snake. It's not fun having to wait until getting a snake but it's much better than having the snake possibly arrive dead due to a delay in shipping.
    My son wants to go to the show in Manchester on January 6 so most likely will be taping it to the hood of the truck (to keep an eye on it) so that it won’t strike anyone on the way home. Oh no, poor snake. It will be inside with my son, all snug.

But if we do ship it will be after the holidays so overnight to BFE shouldn’t be an issue. Thanks for the heads up!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-10-2021),Erie_herps (12-10-2021)

Thanks

So here is what I am going to order tomorrow unless someone has a better idea. Thanks

1) 10 gallon tank with requisite top (already have)

2) 1 Exo Terra medium water dish

3) Reptile Prime substrate

4) 2 Exo Terra small hides

5) 2, 4x7 under tank heating mats with thermostat

6) Temp Gun

7) Feeding tongs

8) Aluminum foil tape

9) Thermometer/Humidity digital thingymabobs

10) ???

Let me know if I’m missing anything. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    It seems like that's good as long as you're using a reliable thermostat (they can also be doubled up to reduce the risk of overheating). What's the tape for? Tape shouldn't be used on the inside of the tank as it can get stuck on the snake and cause problems. Also, do you think you're going to need 2 heat mats? Are you going to put one on each side to control both the warm and cool side temperatures? If so you're going to need two separate thermostats.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

It seems like that's good as long as you're using a reliable thermostat (they can also be doubled up to reduce the risk of overheating). What's the tape for? Tape shouldn't be used on the inside of the tank as it can get stuck on the snake and cause problems. Also, do you think you're going to need 2 heat mats? Are you going to put one on each side to control both the warm and cool side temperatures? If so you're going to need two separate thermostats.
    I will add that you can get a thermostat that controls more than one device instead of two separate thermostats. That might be cheaper, but I am not sure.

Either way, get one(s) that can handle more than a small heat mat down the road so you can use it when you upgrade to the enclosure.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2021),Erie_herps (12-11-2021)

Thanks

What do you recommend for thermostats?

Tape is to attach the temperature probe to the bottom of the tank before applying the heat mats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I will add that you can get a thermostat that controls more than one device instead of two separate thermostats. That might be cheaper, but I am not sure.

Either way, get one(s) that can handle more than a small heat mat down the road so you can use it when you upgrade to the enclosure.
    Any thermostat recommendations?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    What do you recommend for thermostats?

Tape is to attach the temperature probe to the bottom of the tank before applying the heat mats.

- - - Updated - - -

Any thermostat recommendations?

This does two devices for about $60 more than the 1 device version, making it much more cost effective. Very good and reliable brand, hence the cost.

https://spyderrobotics.com/index.php...products_id=26

The VE-300X2 is also a dual zone thermostat and highly regarded as well.

https://vivariumelectronics.com/Products.html

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2021),Erie_herps (12-11-2021),jmcrook (12-11-2021),MR Snakes (12-12-2021)

Thanks
    When you're attaching the probe to the bottom of the tank are you attaching it on the inside or outside? It should be on the outside so the snake can't move it, damage it, or get stuck on the tape. Depending what mats you get they might be sticky. The sticky ones I've just placed the probe to the tank and the mat holds them on. I'm not sure if the foil tape would damage the mat or not.
    As far as thermostats the two recommended above work great. I use Inkbird thermostats (doubled up for the reptiles) because at the time I didn't have a whole lot of money to afford the expensive ones (and at the time I didn't see a difference between the two, now I do). I'm planning on upgrading my thermostats to a herpstat or VE model after I fix other things (like finishing a larger enclosure for my crested geckos).
    Last edited by Erie_herps; 12-11-2021 at 12:08 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2021),MR Snakes (12-12-2021)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast