Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,770

1 members and 2,769 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

BP tank set up + accessories

Maybe I’ve just missed it in my search but there used to be a thread that had a list of everything needed for a BP set up plus recommended brands. Did it go away or am I just an idiot? Umm, don’t answer that. Just wanting to get everything ordered so my son can spend Christmas Day setting up for his arrival on January 6. Tghamnks!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts
    Well, first you have some decisions to make about what KIND of enclosure you'll be doing.

Then, if you look under forum > BP husbandry > either https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!
    or https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!

You'll have to make your own list, depending on your choices. A digital temp. gun will come in very handy too, as will some frozen mousicles/or ratsicles, & feeding tongs.

Best results- set up the enclosure & run with heat on for a WEEK, well BEFORE any live animal comes home with you- to verify temps. in the exact placement in home to verify that your heat is adequate (nothing else is needed) & that the t-stat works accurately.

I'd also recommend that if you buy some nice substrate, don't put it in yet- use white paper towels for the first month+ until you're positive that no mites came home with the snake.

(Instead, use a third hide- one cool side, one warm side, and the third one- a "humid hide" with moss or similar material to provide good humidity otherwise found in the substrate.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-07-2021)

Thanks

Re: BP tank set up + accessories

Well first let me ask how big is this snake going to be? As far as everything else it’s pretty straight forward, when I had tanks and even still in my tubs I use the black reptile basics hides. If you haven’t already decided I recommend going with cocoblox or any other type of coco for the substrate. Zoomed makes good heat pads along with their own thermostat that they sell separately. That’s pretty much it besides a water bowl of course and as Boger said a temp gun and tongs are a must

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-07-2021)

Thanks
    2 places I know of that are great to buy accessories (like hides etc) from (in no particular order) are:

The Bean Farm https://beanfarm.com/

Reptile Basics https://www.reptilebasics.com/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-07-2021),Snow Balls (12-07-2021)

Thanks
    I neglected to say that I already have a 10gl. Tank/aquarium and top.

Thanks
    My son also wants a baby so 3-6 months I’d say.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Well, first you have some decisions to make about what KIND of enclosure you'll be doing.

Then, if you look under forum > BP husbandry > either https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!
    or https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-With-Pictures!

You'll have to make your own list, depending on your choices. A digital temp. gun will come in very handy too, as will some frozen mousicles/or ratsicles, & feeding tongs.

Best results- set up the enclosure & run with heat on for a WEEK, well BEFORE any live animal comes home with you- to verify temps. in the exact placement in home to verify that your heat is adequate (nothing else is needed) & that the t-stat works accurately.

I'd also recommend that if you buy some nice substrate, don't put it in yet- use white paper towels for the first month+ until you're positive that no mites came home with the snake.

(Instead, use a third hide- one cool side, one warm side, and the third one- a "humid hide" with moss or similar material to provide good humidity otherwise found in the substrate.)

I saw those threads yesterday but none of the pictures opened on the 20 gl thread. Also saw they were quite aged and wondered if there was something newer. They still give me a good starting point. Thanks

Thanks
    I know, sorry- the threads are old & pics not all there now- but it's a lot of work to update a site like this- so if you're motivated (& "techy") do lend a hand?
    In any event, I don't ever recall seeing such a "list" that you sought here.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-07-2021 at 08:34 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I know, sorry- the threads are old & pics not all there now- but it's a lot of work to update a site like this- so if you're motivated (& "techy") do lend a hand?
    In any event, I don't ever recall seeing such a "list" that you sought here.
    Ok, ok. I’ve been told that I’m a couple of tacos short of a combo plate, alright?

And if I was techy at all I’d love to help. Heck, I can’t even figure out why the site makes me log back in every 10 minutes or so.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Ok, ok. I’ve been told that I’m a couple of tacos short of a combo plate, alright?

And if I was techy at all I’d love to help. Heck, I can’t even figure out why the site makes me log back in every 10 minutes or so.
    Oh, no, lol...I wasn't implying anything of the sort! But if there was such a list, it might have been in a thread, rather than one of our "sticky" posts that are easier to reference. (Our regular search function leaves a lot to be desired, IMO.) Or possibly it was something you saw elsewhere?

As far as having to log back in, just be sure to check off where it says "keep me signed in" when you first log back in. If that's not working for you, let me know?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast