Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,214

1 members and 2,213 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quick question with regards with the positioning of the thermostat probes. Where should they be put?

1) Under the substrate inside the acquarium?

2) Under the tank next to the heat pad?

3) Under the tank, taped to the outside of the pad?

4) Under the tank, between the tank and mat?

5) Under the tank, taped next to the pad?

Tank prep currently underway. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    #4- outside, under the tank between the glass & the UTH-

And then you STILL need to let it run for preferably a few days to a week to stabilize with empty tank set up how it will be (substrate etc), AND double check temps INSIDE with an accurate temp. gun every place the snake may possibly touch to ensure no surface is too hot- (yes, even UNDER substrate, because they can or eventually WILL burrow or push it aside). You want to keep the warmest heat under 90*- some go with 88* or up to 91*, but in the 90's is risky for burn injuries for snakes- some, esp. BPs, don't seem to know when to move away.

You never want the probe INSIDE any enclosure, because it will get moved or damaged by the snake, which can lead to disaster. Just imagine what happens if the snake dumps the cold water bowl on it...for example. There goes the temperature control you're relying on.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-31-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-31-2021)

Thanks
    LATEST UPDATE:

We have my son’s aquarium all set up and ready to go. The following are the thermostat and temp/humidity readings that have been constant for several days;

Hot side: 89-91 degrees, 51-71% humidity, 66 degrees inside air temp

Cool side: 78-81 degrees, 51-71% humidity, 66-67 degrees inside air temp

I have two sets of Thermometer/Humidity gauges and the readings are taken about an inch above the substrate.

My only concern is that the inside air temp might be a tad low. The room stays about 68-70 degrees. I could add an auxiliary heater to warm it up some. I have no light on the top and have found that placing a couple of wet sponges on the screen top does wonders for the humidity. And then the screen is covered by a towel.

So what am I missing? Thanks

Thanks

Re: BP tank set up + accessories

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    LATEST UPDATE:

We have my son’s aquarium all set up and ready to go. The following are the thermostat and temp/humidity readings that have been constant for several days;

Hot side: 89-91 degrees, 51-71% humidity, 66 degrees inside air temp

Cool side: 78-81 degrees, 51-71% humidity, 66-67 degrees inside air temp

I have two sets of Thermometer/Humidity gauges and the readings are taken about an inch above the substrate.

My only concern is that the inside air temp might be a tad low. The room stays about 68-70 degrees. I could add an auxiliary heater to warm it up some. I have no light on the top and have found that placing a couple of wet sponges on the screen top does wonders for the humidity. And then the screen is covered by a towel.

So what am I missing? Thanks
    Yeah that ambient air is quiet low. I’d recommend getting a heater or CHE to help with that, however the CHE will suck humidity out. Instead of having a towel over the top you could always over it with foil and leave about a 1/4 of the top uncovered. That helps with humidity as well as keeping the tank a tad bit warmer. Did you insulate the outside of the cage walls by any chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    Yeah that ambient air is quiet low. I’d recommend getting a heater or CHE to help with that, however the CHE will suck humidity out. Instead of having a towel over the top you could always over it with foil and leave about a 1/4 of the top uncovered. That helps with humidity as well as keeping the tank a tad bit warmer. Did you insulate the outside of the cage walls by any chance?

Thanks for your reply Snowman. I have not insulated the outside of the aquarium. Any ideas what I should use? Going to try the foil thing now.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Thanks for your reply Snowman. I have not insulated the outside of the aquarium. Any ideas what I should use? Going to try the foil thing now.
    Many things can be used to insulate a tank- some have used sheets of styro-foam, cut to fit & taped on- (not very attractive, admittedly, but effective- & it depends on how cold your house is).
    You can use sheet cork (or cork tiles), corrugated cardboard, poster board (comes in white or black, with foam core, but easy to cut & deal with), thin plywood that's cut to fit, or even the foil-bubbles that ppl put on hot water heaters. For insulation to work, it's all about the air spaces that it traps.

If you want this to look nicer, install scenery on the back & sides of the tank first, then your insulation won't even be seen. You can insulate under the tank too, but leave breathing room for the UTH, if you're using one, & you can even insulate partway up the front, just leaving a large "picture window"- it's all up to you. Snakes enjoy privacy anyway, but for health & well-being, I personally like to know what's going on in all my tanks. You want to be able to see prey that's uneaten or feces that need a spot clean without opening it up to let the winter chill in.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2022 at 05:25 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (01-05-2022)

Thanks

Standard project board should be enough. Black preferably, just line the back and 2 sides. It doesn’t help a whole lot but it’s something and helps your BP feel secure as well

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (01-05-2022)

Thanks
    What should the inside the tank air temp be?

Thanks

Somewhere between 75-80 is a comfortable range for them

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (01-05-2022)

Thanks

OK, foil installed. 66 degree reading so we’ll see where it goes up to in a few hours.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast