Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

0 members and 2,969 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Timor monitor breeders

I am interested in getting a Timor monitor and really want one that is captive bred. I've done some research and the only breeder I can find is Great Basin Serpentarium. While I've read that Timors are generally cheaper than an ackie they are asking $1,000 each. I've found several other sellers that each ask around $200, but none of them say whether or not they are captive bred. Big Apple Herp has farm bred babies for $150. Is farm bred monitors healthy or do they tend to have health issues like wild caught? Also, what impact does farm bred have on the health and size of wild populations? Is $1,000 a good price for captive bred? Does anyone else know of any other breeders?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm not personally into monitors so I can't answer all your questions, but just a few thoughts:

I would assume that those advertised as SO much cheaper are very likely to be wild caught (or "farm-raised") & in "iffy" condition.

Farm-raised generally means raised "semi-wild" outside, then captured to sell- & to me, it's much the same thing as wild-caught, just more of an advertising gimmick to make them sound better (healthier), or to suggest they weren't depleting the "wild" population in selling them. With lizards, it might mean that the adults are free-roaming on a "farm" (land they own) & the eggs are found, hatched & sold. But it could also mean the adults are semi-captive outside, & other wild animals (including parasites) could have enough access to influence their health.

With reptiles, "farm-raised" can mean most anything to some sources (so ask & hope for the truth?) but it's always going to be closer to w/c than it is to c/b. (Example- "farm-raised fish" sounds really healthy, right? Until you learn that the fish are actually raised in over-crowded filthy &/or chemically-contaminated ponds until harvested. Not so yummy.)

Also, this is the holiday season, so I'd assume that prices are higher now than at other times, mostly because they can get away with it. If it's not something essential to buy right now, personally I'd hold off. (& yes, risk having none available, unless $1000 means very little to you & your budget?)

IF you opt for a low-priced "farm raised" or w/c, are you prepared for some likely health issues (parasites etc)? Do you have access & the funds for qualified & experienced vet care near you?

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-07-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

anaka06 (12-07-2021),dakski (12-07-2021),Erie_herps (12-08-2021),Homebody (12-07-2021)

Thanks

Re: Timor monitor breeders

Besides health one of my biggest concerns with WC is the effect it has on the numbers of the wild population. Is this a concern with farm raised animals, or is it better to not support these operations? It's tempting to get a farm raised baby but more important to me to do what's best for the species. I'm lucky to have a great vet only 15 miles away so vet care won't be a problem. It'll take me some time to get the enclosure set up and to figure out the best way to source feeder insects, since we have no stores that sell them near us, so I definitely won't be ready to purchase the Timor until after the holidays.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anaka06 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-07-2021),dakski (12-07-2021)

Thanks
    I wish I had all the answers- like you I'm concerned with the wild populations remaining viable. Have you ever looked into adoption? Like thru animal rescues- there might be one+ that needs a new home? Lots of ppl get pets & then later find out it's not the right pet for them. Try checking with any Herpetological societies near you? Maybe put out some "wanted" feelers (ads)? Since you have "time", I'd keep looking for a while, just in case. And give more time for responses here too.

Thanks

Based on what you've told me/I've researched I'm going to stick CB otherwise; adoption is definitely something I'd consider. Between 3 dogs, and a pigeon we have no shortage of rescues in our house. We have several reptile rescues in our area as well. I'll start watching them when I'm closer to being ready and might let them know I'd be interested in one if one becomes available, although considering the cage I'm looking at has lead times of at least 13 weeks right now I've got plenty of time to research and look around.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to anaka06 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-07-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anaka06 View Post
    Based on what you've told me/I've researched I'm going to stick CB otherwise; adoption is definitely something I'd consider. Between 3 dogs, and a pigeon we have no shortage of rescues in our house. We have several reptile rescues in our area as well. I'll start watching them when I'm closer to being ready and might let them know I'd be interested in one if one becomes available, although considering the cage I'm looking at has lead times of at least 13 weeks right now I've got plenty of time to research and look around.
    That's a really good idea to let the rescues know your interest- in fact, I'd do it well-ahead of time, you never know when something may turn up. Meanwhile, you can get your cage ready also.

I personally love the idea of "rescuing" pets in need too, & you're really fortunate to have several reptile rescues nearby.