Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,356

2 members and 3,354 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

BP learning to signal "handling time is over"?

I'm always interested in learning about how BPs learn and communicate, but there's not much information out there, so let me know if you think I'm off base here, or if you've seen something similar!
    One of the first times I had my male out for handling, he started gripping onto my arm and anything nearby, getting a firm grip with his neck, then squirming around in place like he was dancing inappropriately at a nightclub. He also lifted his tail up in the air and wiggled it around, so you know what came next - he ended up pooping and peeing all over my couch. Since then, whenever I see him start the "poo-poo dance," I put him right back in his enclosure and haven't had another problem. Every so often during a handling session that's going a little long, he'll climb down to my wrist, grip it with his neck, and start with the squirmy routine - what I realized recently is even after I put him back, he almost never actually poops.
    I've heard that putting a snake back in its enclosure after getting tagged teaches them that "bite my owner" --> "go back to tank", do you think mine has maybe learned "do the poo-poo dance" --> "go back to tank"? It'd be great if he did, being able to communicate to me "hey I don't really want to be handled anymore" would be a very useful thing (especially without actually going to the bathroom on me). I have heard of overstimulated/aggravated snakes just pooping on the owner to be like "leave me alone already!" but this seems to be a step down from that. Or, he does just need to get some poop moving and I'm reading too much into it - either way, back he goes!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Maybe you're just very "inspiring"? I don't know- for now, I'll keep an open mind. I've never had a snake do anything of the sort, nor am I convinced that putting a snake back after they bite you teaches them how to control you (ie. make you leave them alone). I do agree that when I snake has to go & we start handling them, that enhances their sense of urgency & they sometimes lose control, but whether that's actually a "signal" of any kind? Let's see if anyone else has had similar experiences though.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    That's a common defense of a snake. My young Speckled King does it often. I just keep on handling him though and tonight I actually pulled him out without it happening. Progress! A Hoggy I had from wild caught parents did it to me often too. That musk is nasty from them.

The only large snake that's ever done it to me was my Dum the day the previous owner brought it to me and my male Blood recently when he was in a MOOD. Other than that it's never happened to me. The Dum was just stressed I'm sure.

I think if I had this happening like you are I would put them in a bathtub and see if they do their business. If so that's a easy clean.... If not I'd go back to handling. I certainly wouldn't put them back in their cage to dirty it up.

As a habit I don't put snakes back after they tag me. I don't know if they really learn from that but I believe they do. I would like to think it goes something like, "hey, I bit this thing and urinated on it and it's not letting me go. But it's not hurting me..... And it's warm. Maybe it's not so bad." I also think snakes are a bit smarter than they are given credit.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-05-2021)