Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Re: Advice for New Enclosure Order

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    They are the place to go to get it right.

My problem was I like a cold home and my large cages are built out of thin melamine. I'm sure in my thicker AP cages I would have better results.

You say it's December like that means it's cold. It was 80 here today. Lol! Where are you? Just curious. Having a basement suggests up north.
    Central Ohio. While it hasn't been "consistently" cold here as of yet since it's been anything from a low of 20's to a high of almost 60's the past couple of weeks (schizophrenic is this state's modus operandi when it comes to weather patterns no matter the time of year) it's been chilly long enough that the enclosure should've been noticeably affected by now if the RHP wasn't sufficient.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

KMG (12-04-2021),Myrmida (12-04-2021)

Thanks

There's always lots to learn. I live in a cold climate (Canadian Prairies), although the indoors of my house is roughly the same temperature year-round. It's more of a 72F, though, rather than the warmer temps that are best for a ball python. It sounds like giving Pro Products a call is the way to go, even if they don't ship to Canada, they may be willing to give me a bit of advice or recommend a Canadian supplier.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmida View Post
    There's always lots to learn. I live in a cold climate (Canadian Prairies), although the indoors of my house is roughly the same temperature year-round. It's more of a 72F, though, rather than the warmer temps that are best for a ball python. It sounds like giving Pro Products a call is the way to go, even if they don't ship to Canada, they may be willing to give me a bit of advice or recommend a Canadian supplier.
    At 72 you're not far off from what you need so a RHP for a little boost may work perfect. I try to keep my snake room between 75-77 but with the temp flux through the day it has some swing both above and below that at times. Today my swing was from 75 to 82. Over this year I have tracked from 73 to 88.

I have a wifi thermometer that will alert me to highs and lows so I can make adjustments. That may be using my central air over wifi or simple cracking or closing the door to my snake room. During the hot months it stays open a couple inches. Then stays closed during cooler months.... All two of them.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Myrmida (12-04-2021)

Thanks

RHPs will warm ambient air of the terrarium. I have three differen Animal Plastics terrariums and have a setup of 5 different RHPs for a large enclosure I'd recommend going the the VE 80 from Reptile Basics. Those things are great!

The other week I had to air out my snake room and the ambient temp in the room was in the 60s. The terrariums stayed at 82.

Don't worry about temp gradient. I know it's a thing that is sometimes recommended, but all large breeders and keepers just focus on keeping the necessary ambient temp. Your BP will do great with one static temp.

If you're going with AP caging, I have the AP 8, 10 and 12. The 10 is probably my favorite but the 12 is pretty cool if you have the space. Let me know if you have any questions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Misha For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-12-2021),Myrmida (12-13-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12