Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,118

0 members and 3,118 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Weak Feeding Response - Is my Boa a BP?

Anyone have experience with a boa with a comparatively weak feeding response? Just curious if this is something they typically grow out of or whether this is indicative of a shy personality? I'm asking b/c in my sibling pair of baby Barranquilla Boas, the female has the expected aggressive boa feeding response whereas the male is exhibiting a more "BP like" lack of gusto. They're still less than 6 months old and so far I've gotten him to eat every time except once when he was deep in shed, but it's a much longer process with him. He slowly comes out to sniff the thawed mouse and I can tell he's interested, but he's not triggered and he acts like he wants to ponder the meaning of life before being bothered to take a bite. I've tried some of the things I've read on the BP forums such as warming with a hair drying and dancing the mouse around with tongs, but again, he acts like a diva with the too hot, too cold, moving too much, not moving enough, etc. I'm not too concerned at this point b/c he is eating and slowly gaining some weight, but was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this.

I believe the husbandry is on point since the other boas, including his sister are thriving. The only thing I can think of was that a few feedings ago, he ate a mouse sideways which left a significant bulge for a few days. He was a shy eater before that, but could this have contributed to his feeding hesitancy?

Thanks

Re: Weak Feeding Response - Is my Boa a BP?

I don't know about boas but was thinking maybe it's just the individual animals? Only reason I thought that is because I learned real quick to open my bps tubs with a hook. Some of them are insane when the tub is opened. Had more the one big girl shoot out their tub tag me and wrap my arm/hand. Like those joke snake in a can things. Wish I could offer better insight but just a thought after reading your post.
    “It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.”

FDR

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2021),Homebody (12-03-2021),Nick_MD (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If it's eating is all that matters.

Both my Cen Am and Col hardly ever strike. I just lay their rat inside their cage and they will eventually come out and eat it. I usually have to leave the room before they will start.

My Ball usually strikes hard and comes out immediately when I bring in the rats to be ready for the air drop.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-03-2021),Homebody (12-03-2021),Nick_MD (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I'll agree with KMG that what's important is that he's eating. One of my young Tarahumara Mountain Boas has always been a little quirky/thoughtful about the way he approaches his food - like yours, he seems to need to meditate on it a bit, lol. How often are you feeding your guys? Even when young, my Boas were on a slower feeding schedule than my Pythons - and the feeding response in the Tarahumara became much more assertive when I waited even a day or so longer to feed rather than sticking to a strict calendar schedule.

But really I wouldn't fret about it. He's eating.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2021),Homebody (12-03-2021),KMG (12-03-2021),Nick_MD (12-03-2021)

Thanks

@ KMG - How long do you typically let it sit? Is getting "cold" a concern? Two feedings ago, I left one about an hour before it was gone. With the last one, I left it for awhile and he just put his head down right next to it. It wasn't until I opened up the cage and waggled it a little before he finally struck and ate it.

@ Caitlin - ~10-12 days with some flexibility. You may be on to something though. The current feeders are on the larger side of the acceptable range. Perhaps I should move out the days to ~14 until he puts on some size relative to that bag of feeders.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I agree- your feeders may be on the larger end of "the range" & many female snakes are better eaters anyway. I'd just wait a few days longer.

I've only raised one boa -a BCI- (not counting many rosy boas), & she was a yearling, super stressed from changing hands so many times in her first year- she had quite a reputation for biting, lol.
    So in the first year that she was with me, I calmed her down (with no bites ever! ) but she went thru some periods of time where her appetite was less-than-stellar too, & she was not over-handled by any means. I chalked it up to all that she'd been thru plus growth, & just stayed patient- sure enough, after a while she turned into a steady & voracious eater, & a sweet cuddly pet.

You know, human children go thru growth spurts & moods, & have so much to learn, so maybe snakes do too- they're just harder for us to "read"?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post
    @ KMG - How long do you typically let it sit? Is getting "cold" a concern? Two feedings ago, I left one about an hour before it was gone. With the last one, I left it for awhile and he just put his head down right next to it. It wasn't until I opened up the cage and waggled it a little before he finally struck and ate it.
    I don't stay to watch. The Cen Am will not start if I am standing there. I feed everyone and leave the room. I then come back in about an hour. Sometimes they are just getting started and other times they are all done. My Dum will always strike hard but then he hugs the rat forever before actually eating. He is usually always still eating when I check on them after feeding.
    Last edited by KMG; 12-03-2021 at 03:26 PM.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_MD View Post

@ Caitlin - ~10-12 days with some flexibility. You may be on to something though. The current feeders are on the larger side of the acceptable range. Perhaps I should move out the days to ~14 until he puts on some size relative to that bag of feeders.
    Don't worry about them getting "cold," or cage temp. Boas don't care. They don't have heat pits like BP's and other pythons do.

As KMG said, if he is eating, all good.

Additionally, moving to every 14 days won't hurt him and might help the food response.

Boas generally eat "smaller" meals than other larger snakes can handle. They still grow without issue and it might even be better for them. I've experimented with different food regiments for my different boas. I tend to think less is more with them.

My boas won't eat unless they strike, but that's not usually an issue. If your guy eats anyway, more power to you.

I have a BP who prefers I leave and walk away most of the time, but once I walk away she generally grabs the prey. I do heat up the prey for her, but if she doesn't eat it quickly, I just offer the following feeding. She is 9 years old though. I also have a corn snake who generally doesn't strike and is shy and most of the time I leave it and walk away and she eats like clockwork.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2021),KMG (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Yes, I meant to add that I didn't make a point of serving warm rodents to the boa (BCI) that I had either- she didn't care one bit- as dakski just explained, no heat pits. And once she got past her first year or so, she settled in to being a very strong feeder, always ready to grab & constrict her rat from my long tongs. LONG tongs for a good reason, I might add!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-03-2021)