Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

2 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Unexpected but exciting news...a vendor I'd been talking to at the expo a few weeks back heard I was looking for a BRB and put me in touch with a local breeder in a city that's only about an hour and a half's drive away. I'll be going to pick up a baby tomorrow!

Here's the baby I'll be getting. He's about four months old so he's pretty well-established, and he's apparently the biggest out of his litter. I'm beyond excited!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-16-2021),EL-Ziggy (12-16-2021),Erie_herps (12-22-2021),Homebody (12-16-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Wow, he looks alert & eager to meet life head-on. Such pretty serpents....
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Thinking about a BRB - Advice?

He’s GORGEOUS! I’m glad it worked out well for you! Congratulations!!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Hey everyone, I wanted to give you all a very sad update. I picked up the snake almost two weeks ago, and everything seemed to be going great, but when I checked on him this morning I found he'd passed during the night. I suppose I just wanted to share with people who will understand what I'm feeling right now and see if you all could give me any insight into what might have happened.

All the parameters were the same as when I posted looking for advice here, and I had the tub set up for over a month before I got him so everything was steady. 85 degree hotspot with heat mat, ambient around 75, constant humidity in the high 90s.

Everything seemed to be going very well. He was in blue when I picked him up, and after about a week he gave me a perfect shed. It was textbook perfect, all in one piece, eye caps and tail tip and everything. I was obviously really encouraged by this and took it as a sign everything was going well. I tried to feed him a few days later, and he wasn't interested - but the seller had told me he'd been a bit reluctant to switch to f/t and had eaten earlier in the week before I got him, so I wasn't overly concerned and I just assumed he needed more time to settle in. I knew BRBs often like to stay hidden, and that was the case with him - I never noticed him acting agitated or roaming around his enclosure during the day, or doing any behaviors that would have raised red flags with me.

I'm honestly trying to look for anything that seemed off with him, but genuinely nothing ever did. Yesterday he seemed absolutely fine; this morning he was gone. I'm at a total loss for what I did wrong - aside from him not showing an interest in food (and, since I didn't even have him for two weeks, I'd only ever offered once), everything seemed perfect. My only guess is that he had some sickness or weakness that only showed up once his little system was compromised with the stress of moving to a new home. The suddenness with which he crashed makes me think it wasn't anything I did, but it's hard not to blame yourself when these things happen.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2021)

Thanks
    There most likely wasn't anything you could have done. Sometimes, especially when they are young, they could have health problems that are incompatible with life and not your fault. My daughter had a corn snake that passed suddenly when it was just couple of months old. I'm sorry it had to happen to you but it WASN'T YOUR FAULT, I'm sure.
    *hugs*
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-31-2021),Bogertophis (12-30-2021)

Thanks
    I agree with Spicey's post- I'm so sorry you lost this little guy- but I doubt it was yours or anyone's fault- sometimes the young snakes just "fail to thrive" for various internal, unseen issues.

So sorry for your loss. It seems very unfair that this happened to someone with snake experience & who seemed well-prepared to give this one all the right care. I would let the source know what happened.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-30-2021 at 08:09 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-31-2021),Spicey (12-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thank you both, I really needed to hear that!

It feels doubly unfair because both of my current snakes are rescues I got through a local reptile rescue I volunteer with, and I knew when I took them in there was a very good chance they wouldn't make it, so it's ironic that this happened to the one snake I actually bought for myself with the assumption he'd be healthy. It sucks to lose a dream snake so suddenly and miss out on what should have been many happy years with him, but I know I still have two awesome, thriving snakes and there will be another BRB for me sometime in the future.

I've already texted the seller to let him know what happened. I don't blame him at all, and totally agree this most likely wasn't anyone's fault, but I'd want to know if I was him, and I know he has a huge collection so I definitely don't want any of his other snakes getting sick if it was a case of something contagious. I'll also be trashing all of the boa's stuff and plan on totally disinfecting the room he was in just to be safe - he obviously never graduated from quarantine so there weren't any common supplies or anything between him and my other snakes, but I really don't want to risk anything getting passed on to them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-31-2021),Spicey (12-31-2021)

Thanks

Good call.

FWIW, a BRB is next on my "gotta have it list", so if you find another one you can bet I'll be following the adventures of your danger noodle closely!
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-31-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arpowell View Post
    Thank you both, I really needed to hear that!

It feels doubly unfair because both of my current snakes are rescues I got through a local reptile rescue I volunteer with, and I knew when I took them in there was a very good chance they wouldn't make it, so it's ironic that this happened to the one snake I actually bought for myself with the assumption he'd be healthy. It sucks to lose a dream snake so suddenly and miss out on what should have been many happy years with him, but I know I still have two awesome, thriving snakes and there will be another BRB for me sometime in the future.

I've already texted the seller to let him know what happened. I don't blame him at all, and totally agree this most likely wasn't anyone's fault, but I'd want to know if I was him, and I know he has a huge collection so I definitely don't want any of his other snakes getting sick if it was a case of something contagious. I'll also be trashing all of the boa's stuff and plan on totally disinfecting the room he was in just to be safe - he obviously never graduated from quarantine so there weren't any common supplies or anything between him and my other snakes, but I really don't want to risk anything getting passed on to them.
    When I re-read your early post about finding this snake- that he was actually about 4 mos. old- that's even more surprising that he died so suddenly, & I'm really sad for you- what an awful shock.

It shouldn't have happened, & it makes me think that he may have been exposed to something so I'm glad you're taking precautions. I'm trying to remember what issues have shown up with some BRB's, but alas, my memory isn't cooperating on this one. Plus, from what you said, nothing seemed wrong at all. I'm glad you let the seller know- it might be that some of his animals were exposed to something at an expo- it can happen. Anyway, I hope your new year holds much better luck- you (not to mention this little BRB) deserved better.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-31-2021)

Thanks
    Yeah, that's the most frustrating thing about this whole situation - it really was a case of me feeling great about him one day (and why wouldn't I? Perfect shed, no abnormal behavior, everything in the enclosure seemed locked in, and I figured he'd eat for me with time) and then finding him gone the next. I've tried researching to see if I can find any information about what might have happened, but it's difficult because, aside from him not eating, I didn't notice a single thing wrong. He didn't overheat, he definitely wasn't dehydrated, I checked him over for any obvious injuries...I'm at a loss.

I'm still waiting to hear from the seller, but I'm hoping he might have some clue as to what went wrong. I obviously don't have experience with BRBs, so maybe there was some sign of him becoming sick that I overlooked. Or he might have noticed something in his collection; I know he goes to expos and has a job working with reptiles, so that's definitely a possibility.

When I do try again with a BRB in the future, I think I'm going to seek out a yearling, just to ease my mind a bit. I'm looking forward to the day I'm able to post a success story here. And I can't say how much I appreciate you all - lots of people in my life don't understand getting upset over the loss of a snake.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-01-2022),Spicey (01-01-2022)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast