Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

3 members and 3,088 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Re: Thinking about a BRB - Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Mine is not shy at all. He's always coming out to check what I'm doing. He's into everything.

Mine did dig a lot but he never really hid under the substrate, my Cen Am Boa does all the time though, and uses his hide, his pool, or will just lay out in the open. If his pool is in there that's where I'll usually find him.

Maybe he's weird though.
    Yet another example of 'every snake is different!' My BRB has only recently (after a few years) started emerging a bit and resting with her head on the edge of the open enclosure door. In my other snakes, this is typically the first step of their gradually becoming more outgoing, but we'll see. It's up to her.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    One note I always add when chatting with people who want a BRB - be sure you are clear about your own expectations. These are shy snakes, and while it's true that they are incredibly beautiful, they are active at dawn/dusk or at night, and they are happiest when totally buried under their substrate. If you want a BRB because they are gorgeous and you think you'll get to see her a lot, that just isn't at all likely. I adore my BRB girl, but I love her as she is and understand that getting to see her is a rare gift.
    Oh, totally! I'm absolutely not expecting a "display animal" at all. I'm prepared to meet the snake where it's at. Aside from being beautiful (which I understand is just a plus), I'm mostly looking forward to a snake that'll hopefully be a good enough eater to help cut down on food waste from my pickier snakes and will be a good introduction to decent-sized boas before I think about larger species in the future. Thanks for all your tips!!

I also almost completely forgot to ask - the BRB will be my first boa, so are there any special precautions I should be taking? I'm planning to quarantine for at least 90 days and test for IBD before I move the snake to my snake room, but is there anything else I should be aware of? I've heard mixed advice on whether to quarantine for 90 days or up to a year, and I'm planning on playing it safe with a year-long quarantine if you all recommend that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Since you are planning on getting the snake screened for IBD, 90 days should be fine. For me, at least, long quarantine times are because the viral diseases I am most worried about can take time to show themselves (understanding that some snakes can even be asymptomatic carriers). But 90 days + waiting for the screening results should be fine. Aside from mites, which you'd pick up on pretty quickly, there isn't much else that would worry me. If others here disagree, please correct me!
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    One note I always add when chatting with people who want a BRB - be sure you are clear about your own expectations. These are shy snakes, and while it's true that they are incredibly beautiful, they are active at dawn/dusk or at night, and they are happiest when totally buried under their substrate. If you want a BRB because they are gorgeous and you think you'll get to see her a lot, that just isn't at all likely. I adore my BRB girl, but I love her as she is and understand that getting to see her is a rare gift.
    Oh dear. I already have a BP that never sees the light of day, perhaps I should reconsider my options.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Oh dear. I already have a BP that never sees the light of day, perhaps I should reconsider my options.
    There's no such thing as a perfect snake- just like us, they all have their quirks. The best thing to do though is learn all you can about any species you're considering so you're aware of the main pro's & con's- then don't be surprised if you get an "exception" anyway. Snakes never read the manuals we write about them.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Welp, I walked into the expo this morning prepared to leave with a BRB and no one had any! Piles of Columbians but no Brazilians. I've been going to this expo every few months for years and this is the first time I've been unable to find BRBs, too! There are usually loads of them here; go figure, right?

I decided to hold off getting anything at the expo and I'm planning to just order a BRB online now. I've had my eye on one for a while that was born in late April, so a more well-established little guy. It'll be my first experience buying a snake online - I've bought and sold tons of bearded dragons online but always close enough that I could drive to drop off and pick up, so it'll be a new experience with having a snake shipped to me. Hopefully it'll go well, and it'll arrive in time to be a nice late Hanukkah present to myself.

I'll update you all and maybe post a progress thread once the snake arrives.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2021)

Thanks
    I've had a few snakes shipped to me with no problems, but honestly, I wouldn't do it at this time of year- what with the known shipping delays even without those usually attributed to the holidays, and also the risks of shipping in very cold weather. Any delays could be risky for your new snake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've had a few snakes shipped to me with no problems, but honestly, I wouldn't do it at this time of year- what with the known shipping delays even without those usually attributed to the holidays, and also the risks of shipping in very cold weather. Any delays could be risky for your new snake.
    Ooh, that's a good point. My area has been in the 60s Fahrenheit at the coldest so I didn't even think about the weather being too cold. Might be okay if the weather stays warm, and if I'm able to avoid shipping delays by some miracle, but you're right, I probably won't risk it until the new year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arpowell View Post
    Ooh, that's a good point. My area has been in the 60s Fahrenheit at the coldest so I didn't even think about the weather being too cold. Might be okay if the weather stays warm, and if I'm able to avoid shipping delays by some miracle, but you're right, I probably won't risk it until the new year.
    Yeah, it really depends on the temps where both you & the sender are- and some breeders/sellers won't ship in the winter (when it's really cold)- just safer for the snake to avoid it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yeah, it really depends on the temps where both you & the sender are- and some breeders/sellers won't ship in the winter (when it's really cold)- just safer for the snake to avoid it.
    Absolutely reasonable. If the weather's still warm here and in the seller's area after the holiday shipping rush dies down (which I doubt), I might go for it, but honestly since we have an expo in my city every other month I'll probably just wait for February's expo. Frustrating not to come home with a snake today, sure, but it's worth it for a healthy snake!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2021)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast