Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,991

0 members and 1,991 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Thinking about a BRB - Advice?

Hey all, I'm thinking about getting a Brazilian Rainbow Boa at a local expo this weekend. I've had a 70 qt tub set up for a while now to test things out and I just have a few questions to make sure my setup is correct.

First - I've read that there's no such thing as humidity that's too high for these snakes, especially hatchlings. I just want to confirm that's true! I've got the tub set up with cypress mulch substrate, a humid hide, a small water dish on the warm end, and a big water dish on the cool end. I've been able to keep the humidity right around 99% all week, and I've noticed condensation forming on the sides of the tub. I know these guys like it really wet, but I'm kinda worried about scale rot issues. Should I make a few more ventilation holes?

Next, I have a few questions about heating. I've got the tub set up with a heat mat on a thermostat set to 85. I know these snakes can be really sensitive to warm temperatures, but even with the heat mat and pretty thin substrate I'm only reading ambient temps at 75 on the warm end and at room temp on the cool end. I know hatchlings especially will burrow to reach the hot spot if they need to, and I know that overheating can be a big concern with these snakes, so am I good with just the heat mat? If I need to raise the ambient temp, I'm thinking about a low-watt ceramic heat emitter on a lamp stand above the tub. What's the best way to get the tub to the right temperature in your experience? I've heard so many horror stories of new BRB owners overheating their snakes that I'm a little paranoid, haha.

Thank you all for any advice!! These have been my dream snakes for years and I'm just over the moon thinking I might be getting one soon.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

benji4801 (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I have several BRB's and have bred them. Neonates need 90% or higher humidity so the cypress mulch is a good choice for substrate. If it's deep enough so they can burrow under it and you keep it damp (not sopping wet, damp) then you won't need a separate humid hide.

A heat mat set at 85*F is fine; they will burrow to the heat and they're quite sensible about thermo-regulating. Also it's high ambient temps that cause issues if they can't go somewhere else to cool off. I actually run my adults with a UTH set to 87-88*F, 75*F ambient (room temp), and when they digest they'll put their stomach area on the heat mat, with their head and tail off of it.

Babies tend to be nippy so expect to get tagged a lot for the first few months. Just don't react by putting the baby back into the tub when it bites you and eventually it will learn that biting doesn't make you go away.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-02-2021),benji4801 (12-02-2021),Bogertophis (12-02-2021),Homebody (12-02-2021),Spicey (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the advice, that helps a lot! I'll deepen the substrate layer a bit and go ahead and remove the humid hide. Glad to hear I'm fine with the heat mat, too!

I've heard they can be pretty nippy when they're little. I'll definitely be mindful of not putting it away after tags. I'm pretty glad I got a hognose first, my little guy is super high-strung and it took him like six months to figure out that bluff-striking at me won't make me put him up.

Thanks again, you've really put my mind at ease! There's a lot of conflicting advice out there about these guys and it's reminding me how grateful I am for this forum. There's nothing better than advice from people like you who really know what they're doing!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Re: Thinking about a BRB - Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by arpowell View Post
    Thank you so much for the advice, that helps a lot! I'll deepen the substrate layer a bit and go ahead and remove the humid hide. Glad to hear I'm fine with the heat mat, too!

I've heard they can be pretty nippy when they're little. I'll definitely be mindful of not putting it away after tags. I'm pretty glad I got a hognose first, my little guy is super high-strung and it took him like six months to figure out that bluff-striking at me won't make me put him up.

Thanks again, you've really put my mind at ease! There's a lot of conflicting advice out there about these guys and it's reminding me how grateful I am for this forum. There's nothing better than advice from people like you who really know what they're doing!
    I would leave the substrate over the UTH thin and place a hide over it. If the substrate is over the UTH and deep it can insulate the heat and get some really unsafe numbers at the bottom will the snake can....and probably will....dig to. The substrate over the UTH should be no more than 1/4 inch.

My BRB was in a nice fully set up cage with real plants but the pita would dig them all up rooting around and digging everywhere he could just destroying things. He is the reason he doesn't have nice things. He lost real plant privileges and lives on newspaper now.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-03-2021),Spicey (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    BRBs have been something under my "distant future radar" ever since my experience with my BP when he was in his temporary tub home and I saw how stupidly easy it was to maintain high humidity in it. They seem like a nice "step up" from a BP (slightly bigger give or take, more challenging temperament but still workable, ect.).

That and the obvious fact that they're freaking gorgeous.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-03-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    BRBs have been something under my "distant future radar" ever since my experience with my BP when he was in his temporary tub home and I saw how stupidly easy it was to maintain high humidity in it. They seem like a nice "step up" from a BP (slightly bigger give or take, more challenging temperament but still workable, ect.).

That and the obvious fact that they're freaking gorgeous.
    Couldn't agree more! I've only put off getting one for so long because I thought the high humidity would be a challenge, but then about a week ago I decided to experiment with setting up a tub and it pretty much maintains itself in the high nineties with the right setup. It seems scary to hear that babies need upwards of 90%, definitely intimidated me, but it's not at all the struggle I expected it would be. Aside from them being, as you wonderfully put it, absolutely freaking gorgeous, I'm really looking forward to a more challenging snake and I'm excited for the learning experience before I eventually get some more advanced species years in the future.

Honestly, after my shy bp and my picky hognose, I'm just excited for a snake that'll (hopefully) eat well without me having to bend over backwards!

The expo Saturday really can't come fast enough, tomorrow is probably just going to drag for me. I'll definitely try to remember to post some pictures here if I do wind up getting a BRB at the expo!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Snagrio (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    My BRB eats like a champ. When I got him the previous owner was feeding live and it took me some time to get him to switch but now he's one of my best feeders. He just ate a rat while in shed that my Ball was going to refuse because she was in shed. I don't usually feed him during shed though. He just got lucky.

Mine is very inquisitive and climbs all over me when I bring him out. His strength will surprise you. He's not my biggest snake but he's one of the strongest.

He's only tagged me once in the stomach and it wasn't bad at all. His teeth are little compared to some of my others.

Overall I love my BRB and he's been a great addition to my collection.

Mine's a bit over 6ft and last time I weighed was a bit over 4.5 pounds.

They do love water and mine soaks the majority of the time.
    KMG

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Only hangup I have is that, with how much humidity they desire and my other thread about humidity in the basement leaching out of enclosure(s), would that make much of a difference compared to a BP where they don't need it practically dripping at all times?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    You've gotten good advice so far. My BRB has never tried to tag me, even as a baby (she's a few years old now). Just keep the humidity as high as possible but balance that with making sure she has the option of relatively dry areas of substrate to choose - you want that high humidity but you don't want substrate that is soaking wet or that produces pools of water on the bottom of the enclosure.

I know you know this but I'll emphasize it just because it'll make me feel better, lol - don't ever let temps go above 85. My girl never actually uses her 85F spot - she hangs out in areas of the enclosure ranging from 75-78F.

One note I always add when chatting with people who want a BRB - be sure you are clear about your own expectations. These are shy snakes, and while it's true that they are incredibly beautiful, they are active at dawn/dusk or at night, and they are happiest when totally buried under their substrate. If you want a BRB because they are gorgeous and you think you'll get to see her a lot, that just isn't at all likely. I adore my BRB girl, but I love her as she is and understand that getting to see her is a rare gift.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

arpowell (12-03-2021),Homebody (12-03-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    One note I always add when chatting with people who want a BRB - be sure you are clear about your own expectations. These are shy snakes, and while it's true that they are incredibly beautiful, they are active at dawn/dusk or at night, and they are happiest when totally buried under their substrate. If you want a BRB because they are gorgeous and you think you'll get to see her a lot, that just isn't at all likely. I adore my BRB girl, but I love her as she is and understand that getting to see her is a rare gift.
    Mine is not shy at all. He's always coming out to check what I'm doing. He's into everything.

Mine did dig a lot but he never really hid under the substrate, my Cen Am Boa does all the time though, and uses his hide, his pool, or will just lay out in the open. If his pool is in there that's where I'll usually find him.

Maybe he's weird though.
    KMG

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (12-03-2021)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast