Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,157

2 members and 3,155 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    I agree that it does look more like a fungal type issue. I've used some OTC human athlete's foot meds with dogs, rats and guinea pigs in the past while working with a vet, but I'd would consult a vet before using it for reptiles. Especially with the slower metabolisms.

As a side note...if your baby is coming up for a shed and for some reason it sloughs that area of skin, definitely get a vet appointment. I've only seen it happen once while working as a vet tech, but a similar kind of wrinkling of the skin before a shed. The only thing the vet at the time could think of was maybe a burn that wasn't enough to severely burn the snake but affected the tissue under the scales.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2021),nikkubus (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Indented scales?

Quote Originally Posted by BallBoa View Post
    ...what medication specifically should I use? Are there any with ingredients to be avoided? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I just looked at Chewy: you'd want either of the first 2 listed (lotion or spray, generic Miconazole nitrate 1%)
    https://www.chewy.com/s?query=Conofi...submit-button=

Hey, after I posted this earlier, I had second thoughts about whether or not the "lotion" form would be suitable, thinking there might be other ingredients intended for the skin of dogs/cats but less friendly to reptile/snake skin. After reading the ingredients, each option only lists Miconazole- and one reviewer for the lotion said it's "not thick like a lotion", so I think that would be the least messy option to use on a snake. The spray will more easily be going "out of bounds" on scales you don't need to treat. A watery lotion would be easily applied with a Q-tip, I should think.

As I said before, there are other antifungal products on the market (intended for human or other animal use) that are NOT "Miconazole" & I would NOT assume them to be safe on snakes. In the past though, I have used Miconazole 1% (in the form of the trademarked medication called Conofite) that was specifically prescribed & furnished by my vet for my BP with a fungal infection of his scales. It worked both safely & effectively, but not "overnight"- it takes a while, with daily re-application. The Conofite was a clear, watery liquid & it sounds like that's what this generic from Chewy is too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Hey, after I posted this earlier, I had second thoughts about whether or not the "lotion" form would be suitable, thinking there might be other ingredients intended for the skin of dogs/cats but less friendly to reptile/snake skin. After reading the ingredients, each option only lists Miconazole- and one reviewer for the lotion said it's "not thick like a lotion", so I think that would be the least messy option to use on a snake. The spray will more easily be going "out of bounds" on scales you don't need to treat. A watery lotion would be easily applied with a Q-tip, I should think.

As I said before, there are other antifungal products on the market (intended for human or other animal use) that are NOT "Miconazole" & I would NOT assume them to be safe on snakes. In the past though, I have used Miconazole 1% (in the form of the trademarked medication called Conofite) that was specifically prescribed & furnished by my vet for my BP with a fungal infection of his scales. It worked both safely & effectively, but not "overnight"- it takes a while, with daily re-application. The Conofite was a clear, watery liquid & it sounds like that's what this generic from Chewy is too.
    Thank you, I think I am going to wait for the vets opinion on what I should do though unless it gets much worse before we can get there (reptile vet is pretty far away). I really don’t want to take any risks here, I don’t understand enough about this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallBoa View Post
    Thank you, I think I am going to wait for the vets opinion on what I should do though unless it gets much worse before we can get there (reptile vet is pretty far away). I really don’t want to take any risks here, I don’t understand enough about this stuff.

That's really for the best, since we're not getting such a close up look at the scales here. But your description ("indented scales") strongly suggests what I've seen before- close up, the affected scales would appear shriveled, so your description was pretty close. Do let us know what the vet says, when you finally see him or her?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BallBoa (12-11-2021)

Thanks

That's really for the best, since we're not getting such a close up look at the scales here. But your description ("indented scales") strongly suggests what I've seen before- close up, the affected scales would appear shriveled, so your description was pretty close. Do let us know what the vet says, when you finally see him or her?
    Yeah I would say that’s what the scales look like. I will definitely update once we’ve seen them which can hopefully be very soon I just have to make the time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BallBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2021)

Thanks

Alright, we just got back from the vet, and they said it could be a fungal infection, but it didn’t totally look like one. They gave me some fungal cream and told me to use it after she sheds (she is in shed now) just to check if shedding makes any difference.

I wanted to also add since I last posted, in my opinion, it doesn’t seem to have gotten any worse, so I’ve got that going for me here.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BallBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2021),Homebody (12-11-2021)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    He's right about waiting it he sheds at this point. It's less stress for the snake while shedding and the old layer of skin will prevent a lot of the medication from working where the fungal infection is primarily focused.

It will still work to a small extent, and I understand wanting to treat your baby and get them better asap, but the best effect will be after they shed and getting to the fungus layer directly.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2021),Homebody (12-12-2021)

Thanks

Ok so sorry guys I’m late on the update here but after she shed the entire thing was just…. gone. She now looks amazing and is doing fantastic I never even used the cream. I will update again if anything else happens but that’s the current situation and I’m super relieved.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BallBoa For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-17-2021),Bogertophis (12-17-2021),plateOfFlan (12-17-2021)

Thanks
    That's weird...but great news anyway!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12