Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

2 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Indented scales?

My ball python has started getting these weird looking indented scales, I ignored it at first because I thought it was a bad shed but it has gotten worse. I looked it up but can’t find anything similar. Does anyone have some insight to what this might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Any chance he's doing physical damage to himself by scrunching against cage furnishings?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Indented scales?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Any chance he's doing physical damage to himself by scrunching against cage furnishings?
    Right now she’s still in her quarantine tub, I don’t know how she could have done this she basically has two hides/substrate and that’s it

Thanks
    I'm also noticing some tiny areas that are the same way- that points to something different, IMO. When you look very close, do the scales look a bit shriveled? If so, it might be a fungal infection of the skin/scales. You mentioned "still in quarantine": when snakes are new, they're under more stress so their immune system is less functional & snakes are more likely to be adversely affected with things they might otherwise have fought off. (Just like with humans & dogs & probably most every living thing- too much stress affects our health.) Anyway, if it's fungal, treat fast before it keeps spreading, for best results.

Might want to check with a herp vet: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (12-11-2021),Homebody (12-02-2021),nikkubus (12-02-2021)

Thanks

I'm also noticing some tiny areas that are the same way- that points to something different, IMO. When you look very close, do the scales look a bit shriveled? If so, it might be a fungal infection of the skin/scales. You mentioned "still in quarantine": when snakes are new, they're under more stress so their immune system is less functional & snakes are more likely to be adversely affected with things they might otherwise have fought off. (Just like with humans & dogs & probably most every living thing- too much stress affects our health.) Anyway, if it's fungal, treat fast before it keeps spreading, for best results.

Might want to check with a herp vet: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    This actually makes a lot of sense, she did start really slow, however since then she’s handled like a champ and eats like a monster. If it were a fungal infection what should I do? I think I may just go ahead and schedule a vet trip but is there anything I could do until then

Thanks
    If that's what it is, it just requires a topical medication to clear it up. And after subsequent sheds, the scales should be back to normal. The faster you treat it, the less spread you have to deal with. BPs seem prone to this (fungi love the same warmth + humidity)- I dealt with it when I had BPs many years ago. It's very treatable, just annoying. Never seen it with any of my other snakes, btw.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-02-2021 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks

If that's what it is, it just requires a topical medication to clear it up. And after subsequent sheds, the scales should be back to normal. The faster you treat it, the less spread you have to deal with. BPs seem prone to this (fungi love the same warmth + humidity)- I dealt with it when I had BPs many years ago. It's very treatable, just annoying. Never seen it with any of my other snakes, btw.
    Thank you so much! I just want you to know you’re awesome and I really appreciate your help every time, your the best man.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallBoa View Post
    Thank you so much! I just want you to know you’re awesome and I really appreciate your help every time, your the best man.

Thanks, & that would be "the best woman".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (12-03-2021)

Thanks

Thanks, & that would be "the best woman".
    My bad sorry! I forgot to ask what medication specifically should I use? Are there any with ingredients to be avoided?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallBoa View Post
    My bad sorry! I forgot to ask what medication specifically should I use? Are there any with ingredients to be avoided?

Since I'm not seeing the issue real close up, it would be better to verify the issue first with your vet, so you're not using something ineffective for the issue at hand.

But IF it's what I think (fungal) what I used (from my vet) in the past was miconazole nitrate 1% ("Conofite" spray) which is actually sold for dogs & cats.

Same ingredient is used in some antifungal products (topical use only!) for humans, but it's 2% instead of 1%, so maybe a bit too strong for pet use. It's used daily & it does take a while to clear up.

Might check & see if Chewy or Petco carry that product (Conofite 1% spray)?

I cannot verify that ANY OTHER anti-fungal meds are safe for snake use, I would NOT use them, & that would be a question for your vet also.

Remember that topical meds are absorbed thru the skin, so use the LEAST amount that is effective. ONLY treat scales that are obviously affected.

I just looked at Chewy: you'd want either of the first 2 listed (lotion or spray, generic Miconazole nitrate 1%)
    https://www.chewy.com/s?query=Conofi...submit-button=
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-02-2021 at 04:07 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-02-2021),nikkubus (12-02-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast