Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,717

3 members and 2,714 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: CHE or DHP?

Registered User TedBundytheSandBoa's Avatar
    Thanks

CHE or DHP?

I have a 20 gallon tank, a baby ball python, and too many heating thingies to choose from.

I have a small UTH w/thermostat that works very well.
    I'm trying to do away with the bright heat lamp.

So. Anyone have advice for setting up a DHP with thermostat? I kind of like the benefits it offers vs the CHE though I have one of those I can use if I must.
    What temp do I set the thermostat at for the DHP?

Also, this Inkbird thermostat is ridiculous. Any advice on setting that up would be great too. It's temp readings are WAYYYYYYYYY different from my calibrated thermometers.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,798 Times in 11,829 Posts
    The only one here that comes to my mind offhand that has used a DHP (or at least, posted about it) is bcr229, so if you don't get a response after a while, you might try a pm.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

TedBundytheSandBoa (12-01-2021)

Thanks

Re: CHE or DHP?

Thanks! I'll wait a bit and see. Hopefully I don't break anything while I'm waiting...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts
    I have DHPs in several enclosures and really like them a lot. Thermostat settings aren't really different than for a CHE, but temp probe placement may be different.

I started writing a long post and then remembered that Arcadia Reptile (the company that produced the first DHP, though other good ones are also available these days) very recently produced an excellent video about what DHP are and how to set them up. Give it a look and if you still have questions I will do my best to answer them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XHV...ArcadiaReptile
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-02-2021),Homebody (12-02-2021),Hugsplox (12-02-2021),TedBundytheSandBoa (12-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I use one with a carpet python in a 125-gal fish tank that no longer holds water, and my husband fabricated plexiglass tops for it. It works well because the IR radiation penetrates the plexi top nicely, then warms up objects in the enclosure which radiate heat. The "object" can also include the occupant and he does like to bask under it.

I'm not sure how effective it would be with a mesh-top tank as a lot of the IR radiation will just get the screen top hot instead of penetrating. The other problem you'll have is the same one you have now: the heat (and humidity) will simply fly straight up out of the tank.

For both the CHE and DHP if you could set up a side-mount stand and completely cover the top with foil that will likely be a better solution.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Can't comment on a DHP as I haven't used one, but I can say that using a CHE in a glass tank is asking for dry condition issues unless the top has really good covering. CHEs blast humidity out of the air like nothing else.

Thanks

HAHA I actually watched this video before I decided to try it out! That's part of why I wanted to use it over the CHE.

Thanks

I've heard that about CHEs... A lot of heat really fast, but it's all in the air unlike the DHP which heats the objects first...I think?

Thanks

I'm currently testing it out against my screen lid, because I was wondering about that also. I took it off the lamp stand for a bit to see what happens.

Thanks

I've read and seen several people posting or putting in videos that the DHP really helps with ambient air, so they've placed the thermostat/DHP probes along the sides of the enclosure, closest to the basking zone, to measure the heat that way... Is this what you've done? It makes sense...

I have a different temperature gauge directly in the basking spot, which has one of his hides in it so it can absorb and bounce the DHP energy around.

Also, the Inkbird thermostat that I've just started using is NOT my favorite thing. I'm considering sending it back and getting one of the cheap ones like I've always used.

- - - Updated - - -

I've read and seen several people posting or putting in videos that the DHP really helps with ambient air, so they've placed the thermostat/DHP probes along the sides of the enclosure, closest to the basking zone, to measure the heat that way... Is this what you've done? It makes sense...

I have a different temperature gauge directly in the basking spot, which has one of his hides in it so it can absorb and bounce the DHP energy around.

Also, the Inkbird thermostat that I've just started using is NOT my favorite thing. I'm considering sending it back and getting one of the cheap ones like I've always used.