Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,933

3 members and 2,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Ball hasen't moved in 3 days..worried

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    Seems like he really is shedding soon. My boyfriend said he has dulled quite a bit and has clowdy eyes now.
    And he's still moving in the hide.
    But it's still scary not seeing him out for almost a week.
    I mean I know snakes don't drink much but how long can they really go without water.
    Stop worrying- he's in shed. As for how long they can "really go without water"- how often does it rain? Some snakes live where there are virtually no bodies of water, only rain now & then.
    That's why they don't waste water when they excrete waste products.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (12-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    This thread is a reminder to me, and the rest of us more experienced keepers, of how "alien" having snakes can seem compared to most other animals. I mean, with nearly anything else feeding a pet a couple times a month and only seeing it rarely once in a blue moon would be considered anything but normal ya know?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (12-04-2021),Spicey (12-05-2021)

Thanks

As a newbie owner I find it to be quite refreshing and enjoyable how little daily or even weekly maintance snakes require. I can leave for 2 weeks and just have someone switch water and the snake doesn't care and doesn't need my attention but is perfectly happy alone. It's really not much actuall work for such a rewarding pet.
    But the worries are big. Some things are just so unreal to the inexperienced that it's frightening. Like this topic here.
    Last edited by CakeLike; 12-04-2021 at 03:19 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeLike For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (12-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    This thread is a reminder to me, and the rest of us more experienced keepers, of how "alien" having snakes can seem compared to most other animals. I mean, with nearly anything else feeding a pet a couple times a month and only seeing it rarely once in a blue moon would be considered anything but normal ya know?
    I know- I've kept snakes for so long, their quirks are all second-nature to me, & it sometimes catches me off-guard when I meet someone that asks about my pets & they're so shocked that snakes only eat every week or two. I love dogs, & other animals, but snakes will really spoil ya!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike;[URL="tel:2766798"
    2766798[/URL]]Seems like he really is shedding soon. My boyfriend said he has dulled quite a bit and has clowdy eyes now.
    And he's still moving in the hide.
    But it's still scary not seeing him out for almost a week.
    I mean I know snakes don't drink much but how long can they really go without water.
    It’s hard to say exactly how long they can go without water but as long as your BP has fresh water in his enclosure and adequate levels of humidity then there is nothing to worry about. When they shed you want the humidity to be between 70-80% ideally once the eyes turn blue.

Also yeah snakes really are so different from mammals - so many things about them surprised me when I first got my BP. One thing that shocks a lot of people is how much bigger their food can be than their head when they swallow their food whole. When my family first saw how big my BP‘s rats were compared to his head they were convinced he wouldn’t be able to eat them lol.

Overall I think it’s better to be too cautious than to be overconfident because snakes are so different from humans and they hide injuries and illnesses well. There is nothing wrong with being a concerned snarent and you will learn quickly from paying close attention

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12