Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,762

3 members and 2,759 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Woma behavior question

I have no experience with Womas and would be grateful for any feedback. A friend has an 18 year old male Woma that she rescued about two years ago. Up until he was rescued he was kept in very poor conditions and was neglected (enclosure way too small, no hides, unsanitary conditions, sporadic feeding). He adjusted very well to his new home and his temperament was described as "curious, outgoing, and sweet".

Within the last couple of months he has become extremely reactive and defensive as soon as anyone enters the room where his enclosure is. The behavior change has been sudden; she says "it's almost like he woke up one morning and chose violence". As far as the behavior when he realizes someone is in the room: "...it's almost like he's hunting, but in this sort of crazy way, almost like he has dementia". He had never bitten, but has started biting whenever anything is done in the enclosure such as spot cleaning or water changes. He seemed calmer last night so my friend picked him up so that she could do a substrate change. He was calm until one of her kids walked into the room and spoke loudly, and at that point he delivered a hard bite to my friend's upper arm and wouldn't release for 20 minutes.

His appetite has been fine - she tried bumping up food size, but that had no effect on his behavior. Bowel movements and urates are normal, and his behavior in the enclosure is normal until he realizes someone is in the room.

She's an experienced keeper - she does fine with her mainland retic, for example - but is at a loss about what to do here. I am thinking these changes may be age-related, such as developing cataracts or general neurological changes. But I wanted to ask here if there are any other possibilities to consider such as seasonal feeding behavior changes.

She has a good reptile vet so I am recommending she take him in for a checkup, including his eyesight. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome!
    Last edited by Caitlin; 12-01-2021 at 01:56 PM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Honestly, & I almost hate to say this, but I think his health has improved now to the extent that his true "healthy" personality is showing. Before, he just didn't feel good enough to react as he might have. I suppose it could also be "dementia"- I wouldn't rule that out. Or maybe his improved nutrition has also caused a tiny tumor to grow that's affecting his behavior? (or maybe hormones???) I'm sure she'd welcome his former personality back, but it might never happen. Maybe this was why he was so neglected?

And btw, I have zero experience with womas- just giving my "generic opinion" having known many snakes.

His previous home, he was the only snake? Maybe it's the scent of other snakes that's freaking him out now? Or "all of the above"?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-01-2021 at 02:17 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (12-01-2021),dakski (12-01-2021),Homebody (12-01-2021),Team Slytherin (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    That's an interesting thought about the snake finally starting to feel better after years of neglect. I don't think he was neglected due to temperament - he was rescued from a hoarding situation where the person had lots of animals that they accumulated. Some were then flipped for money to get more animals, but all of them were pretty much ignored.

I've heard that Womas can be quirky and defensive, so maybe that really is just his natural behavior starting to come through. The seemingly sudden behavior change is confusing, but then again snakes can let things build up for a long time before it really manifests in behavior.

I just have zero experience with Womas. It sounds like the vet visit is in order but if he's in good health I almost feel like the focus should be on husbandry/enclosure adjustments and some regular handling.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2021)

Thanks
    BTW, I tacked on a few afterthoughts in my answer above. It's a curious situation for sure. I agree with a vet visit- & I hope the vet is an understanding one.

Thanks
    Regarding your additional thought: yes, the keeper and I are wondering about this. In his pre-rescue home he was not the only snake, but he was so debilitated that I'm not sure he would have been responsive to their presence anyway. I saw photos of him right before he was rescued and I can't stand to look at them even now. He just sat huddled in a miserable-looking coil without moving.

He is currently in a room with other snakes, though, so his keeper is going to move his enclosure into a separate room and provide some extra cover and additional hides. I hope it helps.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2021)

Thanks
    I hope that helps too. If I think of anything else, I'll chime back in.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Womas are known for being flighty, defensive, and a little nippy. I would have thought that a change to his true personality may have come a little quicker once he was receiving proper care.

At 18 years old there may be a touch of arthritis to deal with as well. If the snake is in pain that might account for the extra-defensive behavior.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-01-2021),Caitlin (12-01-2021),dakski (12-01-2021),Homebody (12-01-2021),Team Slytherin (12-03-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Even with as little as I know, I've always heard womas to be more on the "testy" side of the temperament scale. But that's my limited knowledge on the matter, by all means a vet visit and the change of scenery/surroundings (as the owner already undertook) are in order just to ensure every stone is unturned.

Thanks
    Update on Woma: Over the phone the vet suspected this was normal feeding behavior in a Woma recovering after being neglected. But once he actually examined the snake, he is convinced the behaviors are a result of possible neurological and sensory issues related to age, in combination with and complicated by years of neglect.

He's going to run a more comprehensive series of tests and once results are in, will suggest a behavior and care plan going forward. I'll update again if any of the new information seems like it'd be helpful to others.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 12-03-2021 at 01:36 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-03-2021),Bogertophis (12-17-2021),dakski (12-21-2021)

Thanks
    Final update: The vet found that this snake had a serious respiratory infection that wasn't showing overt symptoms - the mucus membranes in his mouth were actually slightly cyanotic because he wasn't getting enough oxygen. X-rays also revealed some arthritis along his spine.

He's been doing much better, and back to his normal calm temperament, since being put on antibiotics and painkillers.

I think this is just a testament to the importance of really knowing your own snakes' behaviors, and also the importance of having, and using, a good reptile vet. Womas are known for a strong food response, and this keeper had a lot of people telling her the behavior was normal. And I admit that thought had also crossed my mind. But she knows her snake and knew something just wasn't right.

Anyway, since he is responding well to treatment, this is good news and I wanted to share!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-17-2021),dakski (12-21-2021),Homebody (12-17-2021),plateOfFlan (12-17-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast