Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

1 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Ball python rubbing and vent question

The RHP get's so hot it burns me in seconds if I touch it. And if I set the heat lower it won't reach the bottom and the snake so it needs to be hot above to get the proper heat in the enclosure. My snake is a baby and he is long enough to climbe the whole side of the wall to tge top lid by using just the tip of his tail to steady him. And of course if he puts his hole body on the wall with almost nothing to hold on to he falls when he losing grip. What can I do about it? I can't order him not to climb. He climbs very actively.
    And sorry but If I remove the mesh he WILL try to climb to the panel every day and even if he just puts his snout on he will burn himself. And even worse he will very likely try to wedge himself in the gap between the panel and the cealing. He doesn't fit in but can still put parts of his body or face in. And he will do it I know his personality.
    And even though it sucks at the moment I'd rahter he just scratched himself a little instead of burning his face.
    There may be balls that don't climb up or are not interested but mine certainly does and I have tried hard to make it as safe as I could for him.

Thanks

It's taken me months to get the proper heat and humidity arangements, tried tubs and it didn't work.
    Right now I don't have the time to figure out a whole new setup in with the parameters work again. It's gonna be another month or more in which I am extremely busy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    The RHP get's so hot it burns me in seconds if I touch it. And if I set the heat lower it won't reach the bottom and the snake so it needs to be hot above to get the proper heat in the enclosure. My snake is a baby and he is long enough to climbe the whole side of the wall to tge top lid by using just the tip of his tail to steady him. And of course if he puts his hole body on the wall with almost nothing to hold on to he falls when he losing grip. What can I do about it? I can't order him not to climb. He climbs very actively.
    And sorry but If I remove the mesh he WILL try to climb to the panel every day and even if he just puts his snout on he will burn himself. And even worse he will very likely try to wedge himself in the gap between the panel and the cealing. He doesn't fit in but can still put parts of his body or face in. And he will do it I know his personality.
    And even though it sucks at the moment I'd rahter he just scratched himself a little instead of burning his face.
    There may be balls that don't climb up or are not interested but mine certainly does and I have tried hard to make it as safe as I could for him.
    I know you're really worried about your little guy and just so you know he sounds similar to my little man. He constantly climbs except when in shed. If you're that worried about the RHP, maybe look into other heating solutions? I use a heat mat on a thermostat and I'm able to regulate the temps for my baby in his glass enclosure. With those nothing is in the enclosure at all so nothing he could rub against. I'm not sure totally if that would work with your setup but if you're having issues then it's time to try something new.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Homebody (02-23-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Right now I don't have the time to figure out a whole new setup in with the parameters work again. It's gonna be another month or more in which I am extremely busy.
    That’s about all I need to hear on this. Good luck to you and your snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-06-2021),Bogertophis (12-05-2021),dakski (12-06-2021),jmcrook (12-06-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

The RHP get's so hot it burns me in seconds if I touch it. And if I set the heat lower it won't reach the bottom and the snake so it needs to be hot above to get the proper heat in the enclosure.
    In my opinion, you have the RHP set up incorrectly. From Reptile Basics RHP FAQ:

To properly use this RHP with the thermal fuse you must take a couple of small precautions to ensure proper operation-

Do not mount the panel in such a way that the lens is closer than 6 inches from a cage surface
    Do not set the panel lens side down on any surface while it is plugged in (don't know why you would do that??)
    Either of these will cause the internal panel temperature to potentially exceed the operating temp of the fuse and potentially void your warranty and incapacitate the panel!

That mesh is not a cage surface but it's a lot closer than 6 inches. Maybe that's the problem. If it's not that, then maybe the mesh is blocking the heat from the panel requiring you to raise the temperature higher than it should be. Lastly, perhaps your expectations of the RHP aren't realistic. It's not meant to heat the cage, it's meant to create a basking spot. Maybe you have it turned up too high in an attempt to heat the entire enclosure. I make these suggestions in a good faith attempt to help you resolve your problem. I hope they help and I wish you the best of luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12