Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,006

0 members and 3,006 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Question about lights

There is SO much exciting science emerging around reptile lighting! I 1,000% agree with the above comment that one of the cool things about keeping reptiles is allowing your keeping to evolve with the science. If you're on Facebook, I highly recommend this group for a crazy wealth of information:https://www.facebook.com/groups/384134861721116 . I just had someone from my scrub python group come over to help me wire the RHP in my new bioactive setup and he seriously blew my mind with his knowledge! I've always used day/night cycles for my reptiles because I think that is just pretty basic husbandry. If they live in an environment that sees the sun, they should have light.

But the TYPE of light, coupled with the distance from the bulb is also really important (and I didn't know that until recently!). I always just used intense basking bulbs and called it all good. What I didn't realize (though it seems obvious when you think about it) is that those bulbs can be hundreds of times stronger than any sunlight they would see in their natural environment. The UV radiation can damage both their eyes and skin - just like a tanning bed, really. My scrub looooves to get as close to those bulbs as he can, just to make me mad...but after a tiny bit of research, I found out his natural habitat is in a Ferguson Zone 1/2, which means those bulbs are EXTREMELY intense. Especially on those huge, sensitive eyes.

If you feel like falling down a rabbit hole, check out www.arcadiareptile.com . They're pretty much at the cutting edge of the movement to simulate natural lighting for reptiles and they have a lighting guide that can give you recommendations by species.

And I realize none of this really answered your question, soooo...in light of what was mentioned, I would definitely steer away from colored bulbs. Darkness is necessary for proper hormone regulation and to properly set their circadian rhythm. It will stimulate more natural behaviors to allow them as little light as possible at night. If it gets cold where you are and you need to use heat at night, go with CHE's. You can easily order them online if your local stores are out of the proper wattage

Registered User TedBundytheSandBoa's Avatar
    Thanks

That's all interesting information and you've provided much to think about. I didn't even know what a lux was. Now I have some new reading material.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TedBundytheSandBoa View Post
    That's all interesting information and you've provided much to think about. I didn't even know what a lux was. Now I have some new reading material.
    SAME!! I am literally just now learning as well and it’s super fascinating! Even checking weather reports, it seemed that his natural habitat has a UVI of 6-7, but he doesn’t live on the beach! When I submitted the species to Arcadia for recommendation, his appropriate UVI is 1-2 because he lives in dense forest. That is a huge difference that could potentially cause sun burn or skin cancer. Especially since he loves to curl right up next to that light! I now have a halogen bulb on a dimmer and an Arcadia Shadedweller Arboreal T5 on the way!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12