Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,359

2 members and 1,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User TedBundytheSandBoa's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Juvie BP regurgitated 11 days ago, was told to wait 14 days

We did have some issues with temps & humidity in the early days. He ate really well a few times before the time that he didn't... So maybe it's all related that way. His temps/humidity are fairly spot on now that I got a newer thermostat.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TedBundytheSandBoa View Post
    We got him at a pet store. So I'm hoping it was something I wasn't doing right also.
    He's got a really good shape and his color is great, iridescent and bright, so he's hydrated at least.
    There are no breeders that I'm aware of close to here, but the expo comes a couple of times a year. That's where we'll be getting our next critter.

The sand boa is in a completely different room and they're never out at the same time
    Just so you know, buying pets at expos are not risk-free either- plenty of cross-contamination occurs there, with some snakes going home with mites that didn't arrive with them, so if they can transfer mites, they can also share pathogens that cause diseases. But yes, snakes in pet stores have generally had the most risky exposures of all, while buying direct from responsible breeders is usually the safest.

Since you're planning to attend the "next expo", a word of advice: find out from the promoters well-ahead of time as to what breeders will be there, & research their reputations ahead of time. And then try not to be impulsive & forget what you learned once you get there. And taking a checklist of health signs to look for when buying a snake might help too, so you don't forget anything. Expos can be very busy & distracting- & many feel pressured to buy "that nice snake before someone else beats you to it".

Glad your KSB is in another room- but don't forget to handle him first, & the new (quarantined) snake always last. No sharing food or tongs- & wash up after dealing with the BP- preferably shower & change clothes, just in case- & btw, ALWAYS do that after attending an expo! (YOU too can transfer germs from one to the other.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-28-2021 at 07:25 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-28-2021),GoingPostal (11-29-2021),Homebody (11-29-2021),nikkubus (11-28-2021),TedBundytheSandBoa (11-28-2021)

Thanks

I had not thought about it that way. But I'll consider it now for sure.
    We've gone to the expo once, to just look around. I know there was hand sanitizer at every station, though we didn't handle anything other than a tegu that day. But it does make total sense that diseases and parasites would be easily transmitted within that space. A very crowded space. With lots of people-sounds so unfun and peopley now. I know a lot of people in the Facebook groups struggle with mites a lot and I just don't wanna.
    I've also learned of several reputable online breeders to check out when we are snake shopping, also. I don't know what the name dropping policies are on the forum.... I like to see what I'm buying, however. And I know buying and shipping animals has it's negative aspects too. Scares me a little.
    Maybe as I learn more and meet more BP people, I'll find a rescue or a breeder in my area and it'll be a really good experience when the time comes. I gotta be 100 with the one I have now before I bring another one in so maybe next year sometime.
    We have taken on a few special needs pets that we couldn't leave behind at the big box pet stores over the years as adoptions and not purchases. Our stunted bearded dragon is actually thriving. She'll be 7 years old soon. But I know the pet shops get a bad rep (the dragon is also very far away from both snakes)

The boa is on a different feeding schedule because she eats every 12-14 days now and has her own tongs/thawing bowl/food/and she (we just learned he is a she because she's huge...) came to us with her separate eating container. We quickly figured out that she's very aggressive during feedings otherwise-I dislike the movement during feedings but it's what she's used to and she's older and crankier than our other pets so she seems stuck in her ways. We typically put the feeding container down in her enclosure and let her come out on her own rather than moving her with our hands. Eats and sheds like a pro. She'll be 10 this year I believe.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TedBundytheSandBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Actually they didn't say the KSB is in another room, just that the snakes aren't out at the same time.

Before getting another critter read this: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...antine-process

I agree with what was said above about expos. Some are really good and the promoters go out of their way to attract vendors who go to great lengths to provide quality animals, while others will let anyone get a table. Definitely look at the list of vendors beforehand to see who is attending and do some research on them - or even ask here - because there are some vendors who are so bad I won't even go to an expo if they are there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2021),TedBundytheSandBoa (11-28-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Actually they didn't say the KSB is in another room, just that the snakes aren't out at the same time...
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBundytheSandBoa View Post
    ...The sand boa is in a completely different room and they're never out at the same time
    Is this a test?

Thanks

Wow. I'll definitely do my homework and ask questions before we go.

KSB is in a different room She lives in my teenager's room of doom as it's her pet. She takes remarkable care of the snake, actually. It's been impressive.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TedBundytheSandBoa For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2021),Spicey (12-05-2021)

Thanks

I just wanted to tell you guys that the baby has been left alone since eating a small rat pink last Tuesday and just had a nice snakey poo so I think we are pretty much good to go! Thanks again!
    Last edited by TedBundytheSandBoa; 12-05-2021 at 08:52 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TedBundytheSandBoa For This Useful Post:

Bleh (12-06-2021),Bogertophis (12-05-2021),dakski (12-06-2021),nikkubus (12-06-2021)

Thanks
    Wonderful news! Thanks for updating us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12