Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,674

0 members and 2,674 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Shedding is weird

So I've had my snake since August and he's shed twice for me. First time the shed was in pieces but that was my fault for not noticing he was in shed. Next shed I was having humidity problems, because glass enclosure, but I have a humidity hide that he went in so shed was perfect.

Problem or at least my confusion is I don't know when he's going to shed. He typically looks dull and like he's going to shed for like 2-3 weeks. But I noticed this time that his eyes went blue and it took him 4 days later to actually shed and he did that weird thing some of you mention with the going nice and clear but not actually having shed.

Also I know you're not supposed to feed them when they're in shed but how do figure that out? Do you just stop feeding when they go dull or specifically when their eyes change? I wouldn't think when they go dull because for my young ball python that would be a long time without food for a growing snake.

For the other snakes I've taken care of their eyes go blue and they knew not eat. They kinda did it themselves. Then shed the next day or two.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Shedding is weird

I won’t say that my snake knows not to eat in shed. Some BPs will eat while in shed and some won’t but in my experience, and the experience of a lot of keepers here, it’s better not to feed them once they go into blue. Snakes shed when they shed, there’s not a set schedule for it, so it’s up to you to keep an eye on your animals and catch it. Typically, my guy will go blue and have a complete shed within 7 days, but this isn’t always the case, and sometimes has shed quicker, or taken longer.

Other than the bad sheds you talk about at the beginning of your post it sounds like your describing normal shed cycles that just differ not only snake to snake but shed to shed with the same snake.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-24-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I won’t say that my snake knows not to eat in shed. Some BPs will eat while in shed and some won’t but in my experience, and the experience of a lot of keepers here, it’s better not to feed them once they go into blue. Snakes shed when they shed, there’s not a set schedule for it, so it’s up to you to keep an eye on your animals and catch it. Typically, my guy will go blue and have a complete shed within 7 days, but this isn’t always the case, and sometimes has shed quicker, or taken longer.

Other than the bad sheds you talk about at the beginning of your post it sounds like your describing normal shed cycles that just differ not only snake to snake but shed to shed with the same snake.
    So basically you're saying when the eyes go blue that's typically when you don't feed?

He definitely sheds like a normal snake. It's just the feeding/knowing when he's going to that's got me confused. Yeah the only reason the first shed was meh was because I didn't increase his humidity. It was a complete shed so not horrible just in 3-4 pieces rather than 1 like this time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    So basically you're saying when the eyes go blue that's typically when you don't feed?

He definitely sheds like a normal snake. It's just the feeding/knowing when he's going to that's got me confused. Yeah the only reason the first shed was meh was because I didn't increase his humidity. It was a complete shed so not horrible just in 3-4 pieces rather than 1 like this time.

Correct when any of mine get the cloudy eyes (go blue) I just don't feed until they shed. I did and do this with snakes of all ages. Even younger ones, typically they only miss one feeding so I just pick it back up on the next feeding day.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2021),Homebody (11-24-2021)

Thanks

Correct when any of mine get the cloudy eyes (go blue) I just don't feed until they shed. I did and do this with snakes of all ages. Even younger ones, typically they only miss one feeding so I just pick it back up on the next feeding day.
    Makes sense. Do you worry if you fed them the day or so before then they go blue? I know not much can be done in that situation but just trying to think of all the options. Trying to learn as much as possible. Sorry if I'm being oddly specific or anything like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    Makes sense. Do you worry if you fed them the day or so before then they go blue? I know not much can be done in that situation but just trying to think of all the options. Trying to learn as much as possible. Sorry if I'm being oddly specific or anything like that.

No no bud you're fine this is the place to ask questions! No I don't worry, like you said there isn't much you can do at that point. There have been times when I've fed and the very next morning I saw them in blue and thought "well dang" but it is what it is. I just pay a little more attention when I do my post shed inspection. Even with snakes that I've had for years and have always shed with no issue, I take them out after a shed to check eye caps and tail tips, so if they eat and then immediatly go into blue, I just spend a little extra time checking them to make sure there are no issues after they shed.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2021),Homebody (11-24-2021)

Thanks

No no bud you're fine this is the place to ask questions! No I don't worry, like you said there isn't much you can do at that point. There have been times when I've fed and the very next morning I saw them in blue and thought "well dang" but it is what it is. I just pay a little more attention when I do my post shed inspection. Even with snakes that I've had for years and have always shed with no issue, I take them out after a shed to check eye caps and tail tips, so if they eat and then immediatly go into blue, I just spend a little extra time checking them to make sure there are no issues after they shed.
    Makes sense. So just make sure they shed correctly and try to notice in the future. I definitely love this form because everyone's so open to answering questions.

Also my snake is a piebald and he's got white on most of his neck. Is it normal for white snakes to get really pink on their necks before a shed? Like his other spots are white but the neck just gets pink.

Thanks

In my experience it really doesn’t matter if they’re in shed and eat or not. I feed in shed. If my animals want to eat I will feed them regardless if they are in shed. As long as your husbandry is on point there’s nothing wrong with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-24-2021)