Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 315

0 members and 315 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 72,051
Threads: 246,070
Posts: 2,549,645
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, AK/AZ
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User Snagrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 436 Times in 235 Posts

    Strange telescoping behavior

    So, my BP lives in the basement, and as such it's usually pretty dim with just few overhead lights on most of the time. I've noticed that whenever I pass under those lights while he's with me, he cranes straight upwards towards them. He's perfectly healthy and never exhibits this behavior otherwise so it's rather odd.

    My guess is he thinks that it's an opening of a tunnel to the "surface" and he's trying to reach it to scout out the area?

    Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

    nikkubus (11-23-2021)

  3. #2
    BPnet Veteran Luvyna's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-06-2019
    Posts
    769
    Thanks
    1,114
    Thanked 710 Times in 435 Posts
    Hmm interesting observation! Maybe he's attracted to the heat produced by the lights?

    By BP does something similar but under different circumstances - when it's dark in a room and I'm holding him he starts bizarrely reaching straight up for the ceiling and sometimes goes up so far that he falls backward a bit. He also doesn't do that behaviour in any other situation and I'm still trying to figure out the reason why.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (11-23-2021),nikkubus (11-23-2021)

  5. #3
    BPnet Veteran nikkubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-20-2018
    Posts
    982
    Thanks
    1,765
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    I'm not sure the reasoning, but I see mine telescoping at night more than any other time so I presume it's some kind of hunting instinct.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

  6. #4
    Registered User Snagrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 436 Times in 235 Posts

    Re: Strange telescoping behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Hmm interesting observation! Maybe he's attracted to the heat produced by the lights?

    By BP does something similar but under different circumstances - when it's dark in a room and I'm holding him he starts bizarrely reaching straight up for the ceiling and sometimes goes up so far that he falls backward a bit. He also doesn't do that behaviour in any other situation and I'm still trying to figure out the reason why.
    Maybe? Since the heat pits would pick up the heat signature? Then again you don't typically see them reaching up towards bulbs shining into their enclosures.

    You mentioning the craning in darkness made me remember he does that too, though again, usually when passing by isolated lighting.

    No matter what angle I try to approach it, I can't really think of a real answer. Hunting? Privacy? Curiosity?

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

    nikkubus (11-23-2021)

  8. #5
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,181
    Thanks
    22,096
    Thanked 14,195 Times in 8,881 Posts

    Re: Strange telescoping behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Maybe? Since the heat pits would pick up the heat signature? Then again you don't typically see them reaching up towards bulbs shining into their enclosures...
    I'd tend to favor the heat explanation, but I'm not sure how little heat they can detect though? Maybe it's also instinctive to seek out the light (sun) for warmth, even if they aren't quite feeling it. Perhaps he's trying to tell you he's ready for a day of basking on the beach in the Bahamas?

    Maybe they do the same thing in their enclosures but only at first (& you didn't notice?), & then they get used to that light so it doesn't entice their curiosity.

    Either that or he's been doing some deep reading about the afterlife & being drawn into the light...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-23-2021 at 11:22 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

    Hugsplox (11-24-2021),Luvyna (11-24-2021),nikkubus (11-23-2021)

  10. #6
    Registered User Snagrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    586
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 436 Times in 235 Posts

    Re: Strange telescoping behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Maybe they do the same thing in their enclosures but only at first (& you didn't notice?), & then they get used to that light so it doesn't entice their curiosity.
    If he did, it would've had to have been very brief. Each time he's moved to a new enclosure the "exploration period" has gotten consistently shorter. When I first got him he slithered around scoping out every nook and cranny for a few days. Then when he moved to the tub he gave a little cursory look around for a day if even that much. And finally when he moved into his T10 he didn't even really explore at all and went straight to the first hide he could find in mere minutes.

    I didn't know snakes could have diminishing returns and have an "I'm done with this..." attitude about moving but he sure taught me.

  11. #7
    Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,181
    Thanks
    22,096
    Thanked 14,195 Times in 8,881 Posts

    Re: Strange telescoping behavior

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    ... And finally when he moved into his T10 he didn't even really explore at all and went straight to the first hide he could find in mere minutes.

    I didn't know snakes could have diminishing returns and have an "I'm done with this..." attitude about moving but he sure taught me.
    He was probably mumbling under his breath "Here we go again!"
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1