Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,775

2 members and 1,773 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Fire gene in an albino?

I'm wondering if there are any indicators that can help determine whether an albino has fire in it. I purchased an albino pied and learned that the pairing was albino pied fire x albino het pied. I'd like to know if she also has fire in her. Any way to tell besides through breeding?

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    The problem with identifying it is the fire really brightens up the overall colors, not just the golds. When you take away the black background you loose a lot of the way to identify the gene.
    You might be able to take a good guess if the yellows on your snake are staying brighter than a typical albino, but it's pretty difficult to spot on bright white and yellow babies.
    It's also not something to easily photograph, but maybe someone with a good eye and familiarity with the gene can help you out...but if she's a low expression fire the only way to be sure if breeding her out.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 11-23-2021 at 07:11 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (11-23-2021),PythonChris88 (11-23-2021)

Thanks

Re: Fire gene in an albino?

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    The problem with identifying it is the fire really brightens up the overall colors, not just the golds. When you take away the black background you loose a lot of the way to identify the gene.
    You might be able to take a good guess if the yellows on your snake are staying brighter than a typical albino, but it's pretty difficult to spot on bright white and yellow babies.
    It's also not something to easily photograph, but maybe someone with a good eye and familiarity with the gene can help you out...but if she's a low expression fire the only way to be sure if breeding her out.
    Thank you! Yeah, that is pretty much what I figured but I'm hoping someone with more familiarity knows of some subtle indicators that can help identify its presence. She has a lot of orange, almost reddish coloration that doesn't show well in photos, mostly near the borders with white. Here is the ad from the breeder with some photos: https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/725580.

Thanks

Aw, I'm glad you got this girl, I was just admiring her ad awhile back, she's incredibly cute!

eta: could you ask the breeder for pics of the parents to compare? It seems like if they had a fire albino pied on hand to compare they would have been able to spot it if it was present.
    Last edited by plateOfFlan; 11-23-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    Aw, I'm glad you got this girl, I was just admiring her ad awhile back, she's incredibly cute!

eta: could you ask the breeder for pics of the parents to compare? It seems like if they had a fire albino pied on hand to compare they would have been able to spot it if it was present.
    Thank you! She is really sweet, couldn't pass her up. Took a meal right after coming home with me too

I asked him if he thought she had fire and he wasn't sure either. I assume the parent was sold to him as fire albino pied, but maybe he wasn't familiar enough either to tell how/if the fire contributes anything.

I have a male pied het albino that I'll pair with her in a few years. I think the pied het albinos I get should tell me if there is fire in there. If she does have it, half of those should be visually brighter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Fire would be really tough to ID in Albino, but when she gets older, I think it will get slightly easier. Where Albinos tend to pale out a bit, she would probably lose some oranges but still stay pretty bright yellow with Fire.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-23-2021),PythonChris88 (11-24-2021)