Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,908

1 members and 2,907 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

HVAC system and humidity

Other than not running your AC, is there any way to stop your hvac system from sucking the humidity out of the air? My snake room is as enclosed as you can get, just wondering if there’s a way to keep up the humidity in my room when the AC kicks on. I live in Southern California so the humidity already isnt that great and it’s still mid to upper 80s where I’m at. I’m thinking about blocking off the vent that’s in my room but I’m curious to see if anyone has any suggestions other than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    You could get a humidifier. I've had a couple over the years. Now days they have wifi and can be controlled with your phone. Between that a wifi thermometer and a wifi thermostat you can monitor and change things from pretty much anywhere.

I have these thermometers and they've been great. I keep one in my bedroom, one for the living area, and one in the snake room.

Limited-time deal: Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer, Wireless Digital Indoor Temperature Gauge Humidity Monitor with App Alerts, for Home, Greenhouse, Basement, Pets, 3 Sensors and 1 Gateway (Supports 2.4G WiFi) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834SNGQW...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (11-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Post Re: HVAC system and humidity

Do you have central air? I had that in my old house and there's a way to add a "sponge/filter" to some systems. It was cylindrical and the air movement caused it to spin and put moisture in the air. It can be a pain as you have to keep it clean or replace it. You also have to make sure it's kept damp (I think there was a reservoir in mine, but not 100% sure now). It can also be a little noisy.

Having said that, it was fairly inexpensive if I recall and went into a small cutout the HVAC company made in the main air duct coming off the main fan for the system. You can use with heat or AC (I live in CT).

I feel your struggles and suffer from dryer weather in the winter as well here and have to work harder to make sure the reptiles are all taken care of.

I had to add a misting system for my Rhacos, but everyone else does okay, with the occasional mist when in shed. I am sure you thought of a misting system and it's complexity and/or cost is prohibitive given the number of animals you have or type of enclosures.

Good luck and keep us posted. I am sure others suffer from the same problem.
    Last edited by dakski; 11-23-2021 at 06:03 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-23-2021),Hugsplox (11-23-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: HVAC system and humidity

KMG’s suggestion for a humidifier is probably the way that I would go for a quick and inexpensive fix. I do use a smaller one in my daughter’s room at night, and it keeps her room right around 55%. Typically, my house is sitting somewhere in the low 40s so that’s a pretty good increase for just a little money. Sometimes during the winter when the heat sucks all my humidity out I'll move it into the snake room for a few hours during the day and it sorts my issue out for me.

Daski mentioned making some alterations to your HVAC, which is a great idea too if you want to help keep the humidity in your whole house at a higher level. As a matter of fact, Snake Discovery, who’s one of my favorite family-friendly youtubers, installed a system like this in their “zoo.” Instead of having to worry about individual enclosures they’re able to just control the humidity in their entire building from one panel.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 11-23-2021 at 09:14 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-23-2021),dakski (11-23-2021),Snow Balls (11-23-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    You could get a humidifier. I've had a couple over the years. Now days they have wifi and can be controlled with your phone. Between that a wifi thermometer and a wifi thermostat you can monitor and change things from pretty much anywhere.

I have these thermometers and they've been great. I keep one in my bedroom, one for the living area, and one in the snake room.

Limited-time deal: Govee WiFi Thermometer Hygrometer, Wireless Digital Indoor Temperature Gauge Humidity Monitor with App Alerts, for Home, Greenhouse, Basement, Pets, 3 Sensors and 1 Gateway (Supports 2.4G WiFi) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834SNGQW...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    I actually have a humidifier coming in sometime tomorrow, I don't know how well it will be able to keep up with the AC but my room is only 140ish square feet so hopefully it wont be an issue. A WIFI humidifier would've been great though, I didn't realize they had those. I might have to invest in that in the near future. I also have a sensor push so I'm already able to monitor my temps from anywhere.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Do you have central air? I had that in my old house and there's a way to add a "sponge/filter" to some systems. It was cylindrical and the air movement caused it to spin and put moisture in the air. It can be a pain as you have to keep it clean or replace it. You also have to make sure it's kept damp (I think there was a reservoir in mine, but not 100% sure now). It can also be a little noisy.

Having said that, it was fairly inexpensive if I recall and went into a small cutout the HVAC company made in the main air duct coming off the main fan for the system. You can use with heat or AC (I live in CT).

I feel your struggles and suffer from dryer weather in the winter as well here and have to work harder to make sure the reptiles are all taken care of.

I had to add a misting system for my Rhacos, but everyone else does okay, with the occasional mist when in shed. I am sure you thought of a misting system and it's complexity and/or cost is prohibitive given the number of animals you have or type of enclosures.

Good luck and keep us posted. I am sure others suffer from the same problem.
    I do have central air, I doubt I will be able to make any changes to the system itself. I live in a condo and I doubt my landlord would allow it, he doesn't even know about me keeping and breeding BPs . Do you know if blocking off the vent in the room like I mentioned earlier would provide any help at all? I already sealed off the bottom of the door so no air or humidity escapes. I'm just looking for cheap options that I can get rid of when I eventually leave this place and get my own house that I can do whatever I want to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    KMG’s suggestion for a humidifier is probably the way that I would go for a quick and inexpensive fix. I do use a smaller one in my daughter’s room at night, and it keeps her room right around 55%. Typically, my house is sitting somewhere in the low 40s so that’s a pretty good increase for just a little money. Sometimes during the winter when the heat sucks all my humidity out I'll move it into the snake room for a few hours during the day and it sorts my issue out for me.
    I had a humidifier once (cold mist) that I used filtered water with and it still left nasty white dust everywhere in my room. After doing further research I found out that ultrasonic humidifiers don't produce the white dust so I went ahead and ordered one of those and hopefully it works out for me

Thanks

I'd personally go for a portable humidifier, myself. There was a whole-house humidifier (Aprilaire) attached to our furnace when we bought our house, and when we had the ducts serviced, the tech mentioned that humidifiers like that can cause mold problems in the ducts. I'm not sure if the one we've got even functions any more, but I use a room humidifier in any case.
    Last edited by Spicey; 11-23-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy