Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,847

2 members and 2,845 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Shipping in Canada. Please help

Hey there. So I got a quote but I don't get it. Let's say I'm getting a snake thru reptile express. The quote they gave me has a "base import fee" for $350 plus shipping. But on the website I'm getting it from, it says $150 shipping. I was told reptile express adds all the snakes going out and it is cheaper. So does this mean the following?

Ball python - $400
    Base import fee - $350
    Shipping to Canada $150

Total - $900????
    Last edited by Thrillseeker; 11-21-2021 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks

Re: Shipping in Canada. Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker;[URL="tel:2766218"
    2766218[/URL]] I was told reptile express adds all the snakes going out and it is cheaper.
    I’m not sure what this part means - I imagine you would be paying the breeder for the ball python so that cost wouldn’t be added to Reptile Express’ quote. But yeah the import fee + shipping would be $500 based on what you described.

If you’re in Canada I recommend getting a snake from a Canadian breeder, preferably a local one. Can recommend some good ones if you’re looking. Importing a ball python from another country is super expensive because they are a CITES animal and you need a permit to import them. Shipping is also super expensive even if it’s within Canada because it’s a live animal. It’s also very stressful for the snake and sometimes accidents can happen along the way like the snake getting too cold or warm which may be fatal.

I would say getting a snake from a reptile show or local breeder is preferable, especially if it’s a first snake. That way you can usually see and hold the animal in person before buying it which makes it easier to spot any health issues and see what kind of personality the BP has.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-22-2021),GoingPostal (11-22-2021),plateOfFlan (11-22-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I’m not sure what this part means - I imagine you would be paying the breeder for the ball python so that cost wouldn’t be added to Reptile Express’ quote. But yeah the import fee + shipping would be $500 based on what you described.

If you’re in Canada I recommend getting a snake from a Canadian breeder, preferably a local one. Can recommend some good ones if you’re looking. Importing a ball python from another country is super expensive because they are a CITES animal and you need a permit to import them. Shipping is also super expensive even if it’s within Canada because it’s a live animal. It’s also very stressful for the snake and sometimes accidents can happen along the way like the snake getting too cold or warm which may be fatal.

I would say getting a snake from a reptile show or local breeder is preferable, especially if it’s a first snake. That way you can usually see and hold the animal in person before buying it which makes it easier to spot any health issues and see what kind of personality the BP has.
    Thank you for your reply. The reptile expo here is in September. Definitely not waiting that long so that's not an option. I have a breeder with a good reputation. What I dont get is when I pay him for it as well as the shipping, when will I have to pay for the import fee? When I receive the package? Reptile express says the next shipment will be in May. So do I have to take care of that or will the seller? I just want to be able to do this once so I know for the future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
    Thank you for your reply. The reptile expo here is in September. Definitely not waiting that long so that's not an option. I have a breeder with a good reputation. What I dont get is when I pay him for it as well as the shipping, when will I have to pay for the import fee? When I receive the package? Reptile express says the next shipment will be in May. So do I have to take care of that or will the seller? I just want to be able to do this once so I know for the future.
    I would check with the seller for the exact cost that you will be paying in terms of the ball python, shipping, and import fees, but yes I'm pretty sure you will be expected to pay the import fee as well. Some breeders also require an additional fee for doing all the paperwork...etc. involved with shipping a snake. I would also confirm with the seller who will be responsible for taking care of shipping, although that's usually something the seller does.

If Reptile Express says the next shipment will be in May, then that's when you will be receiving your snake because right now it is a bad time to ship reptiles due to the low temperatures. It's not advisable to ship reptiles in the winter or hottest months of summer because they can easily die from the extreme temperatures.

There are lots of great ball python breeders in Canada and I'd recommend getting one from here instead of another country so you don't have to pay the $350 of import fees and deal with the complications of shipping a snake unless it's a BP for a breeding project that you absolutely must have. If you don't mind saying, which province/area are you in? There is probably a breeder close enough to drive to near you somewhere.

Thanks

I would check with the seller for the exact cost that you will be paying in terms of the ball python, shipping, and import fees, but yes I'm pretty sure you will be expected to pay the import fee as well. Some breeders also require an additional fee for doing all the paperwork...etc. involved with shipping a snake. I would also confirm with the seller who will be responsible for taking care of shipping, although that's usually something the seller does.

If Reptile Express says the next shipment will be in May, then that's when you will be receiving your snake because right now it is a bad time to ship reptiles due to the low temperatures. It's not advisable to ship reptiles in the winter or hottest months of summer because they can easily die from the extreme temperatures.

There are lots of great ball python breeders in Canada and I'd recommend getting one from here instead of another country so you don't have to pay the $350 of import fees and deal with the complications of shipping a snake unless it's a BP for a breeding project that you absolutely must have. If you don't mind saying, which province/area are you in? There is probably a breeder close enough to drive to near you somewhere.
    I'm in BC. I just went thru all the Canadian stores on MorphMarket. Reptile Express said they will be shipping in May and that's when Wilbanks is gonna have their clutches in. So I can put a hold on them and pay until they're ready to ship. My issue is I want a banana mojave and a ghost as they're pets and not breeding projects so I want them to be exactly that and Mike has been keeping in touch and easy to deal with.

Thanks

I'm in BC. I just went thru all the Canadian stores on MorphMarket. Reptile Express said they will be shipping in May and that's when Wilbanks is gonna have their clutches in. So I can put a hold on them and pay until they're ready to ship. My issue is I want a banana mojave and a ghost as they're pets and not breeding projects so I want them to be exactly that and Mike has been keeping in touch and easy to deal with.
    Ah okay I see - if your heart is set on these snakes then go for it! If they ship in May you will receive the snake roughly 3 days after they are shipped. They need to go to Toronto first to enter Canada since that's Reptile Express' designated border crossing point and then they will be flown to BC. Just make sure you've sorted out shipping with the seller and make sure Mike knows you're in Canada.

If you do change your mind about buying from the US a good breeder in BC is Henry Piorun - he's been breeding BPs for a long time, his facility is spotless, and his snakes are hardy and great eaters. He has a lot of snakes listed on his website and he often has many newly hatched ones that aren't showing on the website yet so you could always try asking if he has what you're looking for or visit his facility and see all the snakes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Spicey (11-23-2021)

Thanks

Ah okay I see - if your heart is set on these snakes then go for it! If they ship in May you will receive the snake roughly 3 days after they are shipped. They need to go to Toronto first to enter Canada since that's Reptile Express' designated border crossing point and then they will be flown to BC. Just make sure you've sorted out shipping with the seller and make sure Mike knows you're in Canada.

If you do change your mind about buying from the US a good breeder in BC is Henry Piorun - he's been breeding BPs for a long time, his facility is spotless, and his snakes are hardy and great eaters. He has a lot of snakes listed on his website and he often has many newly hatched ones that aren't showing on the website yet so you could always try asking if he has what you're looking for or visit his facility and see all the snakes.
    Yes. I talked to Mike and he said it's fine and knows I'm in Canada. And I remember talking to Henry like 7 or 8 years ago. I think he's in Mission. Totally forgot. Will check his website right now. Thank you for the replies.

Thanks

Yes. I talked to Mike and he said it's fine and knows I'm in Canada. And I remember talking to Henry like 7 or 8 years ago. I think he's in Mission. Totally forgot. Will check his website right now. Thank you for the replies.
    No problem and good luck with getting your BPs! Hope you find what you're looking for
    Last edited by Luvyna; 11-23-2021 at 03:35 AM.