Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,989

1 members and 2,988 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Re: Ongoing health issues within BP collection

Quote Originally Posted by Josleggett View Post
    Also, although some bacteria strains are stubborn to treatment, you would expect some resolve through all the past treatments/medication action taken. I wouldn't like to push more than seven courses of antibiotics for 40 snakes and would expect that to knock the back out of any diagnosis!
    Unfortunately, while antibiotics can kill off nasty bacteria, they also kill off helpful bacteria, and can cause pretty bad imbalances, so probiotics are often needed to help things go back to where they should be. It can take humans and other mammals months to recover fully from the use of antibiotics, I imagine for reptiles it's far longer. I think it's a good sign that the symptoms have at least lessened some and would hope that the product you ordered will help them return to full health faster.

A virus is always a possibility, but I would assume with the rigorous amount of testing you had done that they would at least have identified there is one present, even if it's not a recognised strain.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (11-22-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Unfortunately, while antibiotics can kill off nasty bacteria, they also kill off helpful bacteria, and can cause pretty bad imbalances, so probiotics are often needed to help things go back to where they should be. It can take humans and other mammals months to recover fully from the use of antibiotics, I imagine for reptiles it's far longer. I think it's a good sign that the symptoms have at least lessened some and would hope that the product you ordered will help them return to full health faster.
    Speaking from experience, this is truer than a lot of people realize. My daughter is prone to ear infections so unfortunately is on a course of antibiotics every few months. They do their job, but also leave some digestive issues that probiotics do a great job of taking care of. While I have no experience with the symptoms you’re describing, I will say that I’ve seen antibiotics help issues like this, but then leave what appear to be minor digestive issues after. Probiotics, as suggested, have helped balance out the gut and correct those left-over issues.

Edit: I wanna add that I'm not recommending treatment for reptiles based off human medical treatment lol, just offering an opinion based on my limited knowledge of the subject.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 11-22-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Josleggett View Post
    ...Probiotics are on the way now I have ran the antibiotics...
    I'm curious & hopeful that probiotics will help your snakes a great deal. One thing to keep in mind is that all this time, their poor digestion (after multiple courses of antibiotics*) has made some of their essential nutrition unavailable- it's impossible to say to what extent. *I honestly can't remember anyone's snakes needing or having 7 courses of antibiotics- always far less. Such drugs take a tremendous toll on the snake's body- on their liver & kidney & stomach- as does the long-term poor nutrition that results from them. If a creature of any kind cannot digest their food properly, how can they possibly regain their health? I'd also feed smaller prey while adding the probiotics, to help ensure their best digestion. Easy does it- be patient.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (11-23-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12