Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,149

2 members and 3,147 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Eggs and no pre-lay shed?

I have a hognose who is just a pet and has laid infertile eggs for two years now. Last year, it was entirely unexpected and I found the eggs while cleaning. She did shed within 1-2 months before that but I’m not sure when the eggs were laid. She had been exploring a ton but she also just got moved into a new cage so I didn’t think anything of it. I am really bad at telling when a snake looks like they have eggs, I’ve seen some people post about how wide their snake looks and I really couldn’t tell even with it pointed out to me. I’m guessing it’s even less obvious with infertile eggs.

This year, I was more aware and checked on her frequently. I actually just did a photoshoot with her less than a month ago and didn’t see any difference in her size. Today when I opened her cage she launched out trying to bite me even though I just fed her a few days ago, and she is usually shy about eating. I cleaned her cage and there were the eggs again. This time I know she hasn’t shed for a few months, so it was also pretty unexpected. Unless I’m completely confused about pre-lay sheds and they only happen when they’re actually gravid?

If so, how can I tell next year so I can make sure to give her an egg box? And any ways to get her to not do this? I really don’t want her to get egg bound. I have RHP’s now and her temps stay consistent year round. Should I change that? I have other male snakes but no other hogs.

Also, I did try to feel her belly today and didn’t feel any eggs still inside. The eggs in her cage are all dried up and solid, so should I be in the clear for egg binding?

Thanks
    Also, she is 5 years old. She used to “brumate” herself every year but never laid eggs. Weirdly the two years she didn’t do that and kept eating are also when she laid the eggs.