Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

0 members and 3,144 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Should I pair them this season or not?

Ok so I've been waiting almost three years for this girl and over a year for this pairing in general.

Super enchi clown butter female 29 months old and 1495 grams empty taking a nice sized medium rat once a week like a champ.

Spotnose leopard clown male. He is 13 months and 543 grams empty taking a nice sized small once a week.

Also was considering a super pastel fire yb pinstripe with him. She's 1425 empty also taking a medium weekly. Don't know the exact date she was hatched but she's from 2019 so at least two years old.

I've been back and forth thinking about trying to pair them this season. Weighing the pros/cons from the limited experience that I have breeding so far and just from what I've heard in general.

I think I've made my decision (to wait) but was just looking for opinions from more experienced breeders. What are the pros/cons in your opinion? And if these were your animals would you try to pair this season or wait until next season?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I've bred some kinds of snakes, never BPs, but I'd never breed female snakes that are that young- I think it's best to make sure the female's body is mature enough-usually 3-4 years at least, IMO- the outcome is better & worth waiting for. Breeding too soon negatively impacts the female's growth, & you'll have many years to regret that decision.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-17-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (11-18-2021),nikkubus (11-17-2021),sp0420 (11-18-2021)

Thanks

Re: Should I pair them this season or not?

If both have good body condition and are feeding regularly they should have no issues, they will definitely be around 1800g by the time they lay if they are consistent feeders. I would probably hold off on the 2019 female though. I’m in the same boat currently, I have a female I picked up in March of 2020 who was already 300g so I assumed she was a late 2019 and she’s at 1462g as of now but isn’t the most consistent feeder so I pulled her from breeding until she’s eating consistently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

Lord Sorril (11-18-2021),nikkubus (11-17-2021),sp0420 (11-18-2021)

Thanks

To add on to what I said, is your male producing sperm plugs? I know they’re not actually “sperm plugs” for anyone who is gonna correct me but I use that general term because that’s how I learned when I started breeding

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (11-17-2021),sp0420 (11-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Those females should have no problem putting on a good deal of weight between now and the time they start fasting unless you started your season really early. The 2019 may slug out though, so it's probably better in the long run to give her an extra year.

The male is really iffy though. There is a good chance that after the first pairing he goes off food for a while, and if he does, you probably should not continue trying to breed him. If he goes on a fast now and stops breeding, he will be fine, but if you continue breeding he will expend all that extra energy and it's really risky.

If it were me, if you haven't already started conditioning them, I would just start your season several months late to give all three of them a bit more time if you are really anxious to start and don't want to wait a whole year. Another 100-200 grams would make a huge difference for your male.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-17-2021),Snow Balls (11-17-2021),sp0420 (11-18-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    If it were me, if you haven't already started conditioning them, I would just start your season several months late to give all three of them a bit more time if you are really anxious to start and don't want to wait a whole year. Another 100-200 grams would make a huge difference for your male.
    My male we were talking about the other day who’s about 600g and almost a year old isn’t interested in any female I’ve put him with even though the females are interested in him. I popped him when I got home from work today and turns out he isn’t even producing sperm plugs yet! Now I feel bad for all the extra stress I put on him. Definitely check your young males before you pair!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow Balls For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (11-18-2021),sp0420 (11-18-2021)

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the opinions those are pretty much exactly the reasons I decided to wait. I'm more concerned about the male going off food after I had a male go off for almost 9 months last year. Also the females slugging out was of concern. These two females and this male are some of the most important pairings I have planned as far as breeding out my collection for future breeding stock. The hets that can come from the super pastel fire yb pin and the combos from that enchi have got me super anxious lol.

I still might see where they are at in a few months and try them but again these are super important for me so I may just wait. Either way when I do start pairing them I'll definitely post some pics of the locks.

He is producing plugs however I had a first year male last year not lock any of the females I paired him with even though all the females were interested. This year he's been locking all the females like a champ. He was producing plugs for sure. Even tried adding another males shed and every other trick I could think of so don't feel too bad sometimes they are just not experienced or need that extra year from my experience.

Thanks again for opinions/advice everyone much appreciated!

Sean

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-18-2021)