Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,976

2 members and 2,974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question I accidentally dropped my baby corn snake, help??

I dropped my corn snake yesterday morning.
    He's 7 months old and really healthy. No problems with shedding or feeding, a happy and sturdy guy in general.

I was handling him away from his viv for the first time to get used to it (since I always handle him over it to ensure safety). He decided to take a leap of faith and smacked onto my wooden floor from maybe 3-4 feet (120 cm or so, a little below chest). It wasn't a big thud and he's small but I panicked so much! I didnt see if he fell upside down or head first since my heart just plummeted.

I immediately grabbed him off so he wouldnt escape. I held him for a bit to examine and after his initial shock he started moving a little around on my hand again with tongue flickering. There wasnt any visible damage and I let him back to his terrarium. He seemed to move just fine if not a bit frantic.

Now hes been hiding all yesterday and morning and I'm worried. Hes poked his head out once so Im guessing he hasnt broken his neck or anything. Can corns break their bones from this fall? Any head injuries or internal damage possible? Can they be traumatized and will this affect future handling sessions? Could he see me as a potential threat now?? Im going to feed him today and im so worried he'll pass on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    From now on handle him over a bed or something. Ouch! Yes, he could have broken bones or internal injuries- no way to know, but I'd let him rest & probably not feed him yet, for a few more days at least, just in case. I don't think he "blames you" but for sure that was quite a shock to his tiny body. Most of the time, snakes are okay, but falls can kill them too, it just depends on how they land, how far they fell, & how hard the surface was they fell on. I sure hope he's okay- you said he's been hiding- that probably means he's not feeling so great, so take the hint & let him rest.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (11-17-2021)

Thanks
    Hey, needless to say, if you see any sign of internal bleeding- like when he defecates, either bright red blood from his vent or black (that can be digested blood)- get him to a qualified herp vet A.S.A.P.- If you need to find one, this may help: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-17-2021 at 01:45 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (11-17-2021)

Thanks

Re: I accidentally dropped my baby corn snake, help??

Thank you! Yes in hindsight I should've just kept holding him over his enclosure or the bed. That was stupid of me. I just got too cocky since he's always so calm.

If he has damage, how would I go about transporting him to the vet? Are broken bones etc. something that can be healed? I love him and I feel so bad about what happened.
    Also Im sorry for my spelling mistakes, Im on mobile and English isn't my native.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nathalie View Post
    Thank you! Yes in hindsight I should've just kept holding him over his enclosure or the bed. That was stupid of me. I just got too cocky since he's always so calm.

If he has damage, how would I go about transporting him to the vet? Are broken bones etc. something that can be healed? I love him and I feel so bad about what happened.
    Also Im sorry for my spelling mistakes, Im on mobile and English isn't my native.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much
    Your English is just fine- I'd never have guessed & no apology needed.

Safest way to transport a snake for any reason is: gently put the snake in a small cloth bag (a pillow case will work, just make sure there's no holes) & if you crumple a paper towel or two & include them in the bag, it will help cushion him & give him something to hang onto. Secure the cloth bag by first using a twist tie (wire)- tightly twisted several inches from the open end of the bag. Then fold that end of the bag over on itself & tightly wrap with a sturdy rubber band. (It's easy to open & close the bag this way, & it's virtually escape-proof.) Then gently place the bagged snake into a small ice chest/styro-foam box-or insulated lunch box- this keeps him from excess heat or cold, & protects him on the trip. If it's not a short trip, open briefly now & then for a bit of fresh air.

Broken bones- mostly a vet can't do anything about them- they take time to heal- but it helps to verify, & avoid any handling- a broken bone can push inward & puncture their vital organs. You can tell when a snake has broken ribs by closely watching them move- when they bend a certain way, those ribs will look odd, pushed inward ("concave"). Or if they aren't moving normally, that's a pretty big clue.

I'm not seeing your snake & online is no way to evaluate anyway, but if he's just resting & moving okay, he's probably alright but needs a few days of rest. Unless something really seems "off", I would not run to the vet with him. I'd imagine the fall mostly knocked "the wind" out of him- I'd let him rest for a few days- no handling, just observe him. I hope he's okay- & he probably is.

Thanks

Hey, if anyone wants to know, he's completely fine now.
    He's back to his happy, explorative self. I fed him on Thursday with no problems after he was moving around again. Both of us got out with just a scare.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nathalie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-21-2021),Charles8088 (11-21-2021),dakski (11-21-2021),Spicey (11-21-2021)

Thanks

He's back to his happy, explorative self. I fed him on Thursday with no problems after he was moving around again. Both of us got out with just a scare.
    Good to hear!
    0.1 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
    0.1 BEL Ball (Luna)
    0.1 Sunglow Boa (Pippi Longsnake)
    0.1 Woma Python (Uma)

WANT LIST
    - Mangrove Snake

- Russian Rat Snake
    - Eastern Indigo
    - Black Milk Snake
    - False Water Cobra
    - Rhino Rat Snake
    - Thai Bamboo Rat Snake
    - Western Hognose
    - Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Yes, of course we want to know- I'm very happy that he's okay.