Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 614

5 members and 609 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 72,053
Threads: 246,070
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, AK/AZ
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,199 Times in 8,885 Posts

Re: What do you do when they get flu?

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilsoul View Post
    yes ok thanks, yes I try to clean well all cage, and for me is strange because some are with IR and others no, and thy are in the same conditions. for this, I asked, to try to underdtans where I can find the problem o I have to try to be more alert. babys and subadult are ok, but adults get flu, and not all, for this I have doubts ..

today I will punctured them, I will follow them to see if the get well. I use paper as sustract and when they pee I clean... i prefer paper to clean fast and avoid mites.

Thanks for advice.
    It sounds like they're catching this RI (btw it's called a "respiratory infection" or RI for short, not the flu) from each other. It's contagious, so any healthy ones should have been kept well-separated from any sick ones, but it may be too late- it sounds like they may all be exposed? That makes it much harder to treat.

It's much easier to keep snakes healthy than it is to get them well again, sorry to say. That's why we stress quarantining any new snakes from each other, until you're sure they're healthy.

For your information- an RI can kill a snake, because they cannot cough as we do. They can die from the mucus in their throat & lung- it's serious & basically they "drown".

RI sometimes improves with slight rise in warmth, & also most vets recommend slightly higher humidity too, but most likely you'll need the right antibiotics (& luck) to get them well- sorry to say.

Antibiotics- each are only effective against certain pathogens- and antibiotics have side effects, so giving them on a hunch is risky to the snakes. As bcr229 already mentioned, they're not given orally to snakes- they're just not effective that way because snakes are cold-blooded & don't eat all the time. Also, antibiotics are hard on the snake's liver & kidneys- it's best not to try to feed them during antibiotic treatment, even IF they're willing to eat. (most won't)

The best way is to test (lab work) to be sure what specific antibiotic is needed for exactly what pathogen your snakes are sick from. An "RI" is not just one single pathogen, unfortunately- more than one thing can cause an RI in snakes. And if your snakes have (or had) mites, keep in mind that they are thought to be disease vectors that can cause RI and worse.

One more thing- antibiotics are normally given multiple times at specific intervals to fight an infection. It can be over a period of weeks- and if you stop before the full course is given, it creates "resistant" bacteria, which will not respond & need a different antibiotic, or may not be treatable at all. That's why lab work is really essential before giving antibiotics- not guesswork. I wish you luck- you're going to need it.

Keep in mind that antibiotics destroy not only the intended pathogens, but also the "good bacteria" that every creature has in their gut that helps them digest food. After a course of antibiotics, many have trouble digesting food because their "gut biome" was damaged by the drugs used to make them well. They might regurgitate their meals or have diarrhea- neither of which helps them recover & be healthy again. What can help their digestion- but only AFTER a course of antibiotics- is to add some probiotics to their food. I would NOT advise using those designed for humans or other animals though- I'd assume that a snake's gut biome is not the same.

There are a few products made for snakes/reptiles (or for birds, in a pinch) if you can get them- either Nutribac or Bene-bac. NEVER give those WHILE a snake is receiving antibiotics, ONLY AFTERWARDS. These products are usually powdered, & as I recall, don't dissolve very well. When I've given them, I put them in the mouth of the dead rodent I'm feeding to the snake. That way the snake will never notice them. If you try to dust the powder onto a damp rodent, it mostly falls off, & can also make the snake refuse the food because "it smells different". And snakes often lose their appetite (don't feel well) when they have an RI & are on antibiotics anyway, plus BPs can be fussy eaters anyway, so I think it's best to hide the probiotic powder in the rodent's oral cavity (mouth).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-16-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reptilsoul (11-17-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12