Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,879

1 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What do you do when they get flu?

Hi, this year I donīt know why, but I get with flu one of my regius. all of them are at the same temp. but almost 4 are with problem breathing and some bubbles. and the most of them stil are eating without problems,.. I gave some antibiotic. " Vibracina" through mouth, but didnt get well, I am thinking of using other antibiotic but this time punctured. I puto the temp over 32 - 33š C. what can I do more?.
    Thanks

PD: forget to carry to vet, cos I am from spain and here are ilegal. I have some knowledge. about vet.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: What do you do when they get flu?

Snakes don't do well with oral antibiotics. They need to be injected. Dosage is based on weight.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2021),Reptilsoul (11-14-2021),Skyrivers (11-15-2021)

Thanks

yes ok, this week I will do it , cos oral yes I don't like, is slow and seems dont take effect. thanks so much. what antibiotic do you use usually?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Sounds like respiratory infections to me. I would examine your husbandry because something seems off. If it's not fixed the issue will not go away, even with medicine. Or return if it does clear up.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Reptilsoul (11-15-2021),Skyrivers (11-15-2021)

Thanks

how do they get the respiratory infections?. is about bit air, or humidity? they have his bowl of water, and when they are going to change the skin, I increase the humidity. what can I do more?... thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilsoul View Post
    how do they get the respiratory infections?. is about bit air, or humidity? they have his bowl of water, and when they are going to change the skin, I increase the humidity. what can I do more?... thanks!
    Sounds like your need to start searching and reading.

Yes, a respiratory infection (RI) usually comes from a combination of poor humidity, temperatures, and stagnant air.

The cages should be vented for air flow, the temps should be (air) around 75f and a a hotspot of 85f. That's what I shoot for. Humidity needs to be 45-55% and can be boosted to 70% for a shed.

If you do not have a good thermometer and hygrometer you need one ASAP. RI does not clear up on its own and they will most likely need medication. Without it they have a slim chance of surviving.
    KMG

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-15-2021),Skyrivers (11-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reptilsoul View Post
    how do they get the respiratory infections? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    ... a respiratory infection (RI) usually comes from a combination of poor humidity, temperatures, and stagnant air...
    And from dirty cages or air-borne pathogens. Just like humans don't "catch colds & flu from cold air", snakes don't acquire an RI (respiratory infection) from just "iffy" temperatures & humidity.

In the case of snakes- for those that brumate (snooze for the winter at lower temperatures), they ARE at risk from any pathogens they might be harboring prior to brumation, even IF they appear to be perfectly healthy. That's why brumation is best only done when necessary for breeding (cooling promotes fertility), because it's not without risks- now & then, snakes wake up sick after their winter sleep, & more rarely, a few may not wake up at all. So just remember that really cool temperatures shuts off a snake's immune system. I have brumated snakes in the past, when I bred some- I never had any problems, but it's always a possibility.

The warmth & humidity in a snake's cage (especially BPs because they require warmer temperatures & because the air-flow is usually restricted) promotes the survival of "germs"- various pathogens (bacteria & viruses) that also hang around and multiply in enclosures that aren't kept clean enough. This includes the substrate, the water bowl, all furnishings, & the physical enclosure itself. If the enclosure is made of wood, for example, that wood can absorb & then continue to supply pathogens. Pathogens may also be shared from other animals etc, via the air in the room. (This is why we quarantine new pets.)

Just like us, the more you can reduce the number of pathogens, the less likely that a healthy & well-cared for snake will get sick. But when they're kept "24-7" in a dirty cage, it wears down their immune system. Their body may be able to fend off some germs, but not a bunch of them that are "permanent party" in their homes. BTW (Reptilsoul), I'm not suggesting your cages actually are dirty- that's just one possibility. Also, snakes that are stressed (excessive handling, especially when newly acquired) may have less efficient functioning of their immune system.

Don't forget that when snakes are shipped to us (owned or bred by someone else first) they bring all that previous exposure with them, so if they aren't given quality time to "settle in" (so their immune system is up & running better) they're more likely to get sick, even IF you've kept them clean. Just like us, stress matters.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-15-2021 at 02:52 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-15-2021),Luvyna (11-15-2021),Reptilsoul (11-16-2021),Skyrivers (11-15-2021)

Thanks

yes ok thanks, yes I try to clean well all cage, and for me is strange because some are with IR and others no, and thy are in the same conditions. for this, I asked, to try to underdtans where I can find the problem o I have to try to be more alert. babys and subadult are ok, but adults get flu, and not all, for this I have doubts ..

today I will punctured them, I will follow them to see if the get well. I use paper as sustract and when they pee I clean... i prefer paper to clean fast and avoid mites.

Thanks for advice.

Thanks
    Where are you that they're illegal? I'm just curious.
    KMG

Thanks

in Spain, are ilegal, goverment think they can invade the territory XD.... now where I live, in the morning are 2šC...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptilsoul For This Useful Post:

KMG (11-16-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast