Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,008

2 members and 3,006 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

New addition: 0.1 Mahogany - start of a longer term project.

Just wanted to show you my newest addition.

Been looking for a good example of a mahogany for a while and here she finally is... wanted a single gene but can live with this one being possible het clown!

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'll probably forget by the time you've read this...

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bleh For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-15-2021),AutumnVanilla (11-15-2021),Bogertophis (11-13-2021),nikkubus (11-13-2021),Spicey (11-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I those deep rich colors!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bleh (11-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    She is lovely! Single gene females, especially when the gene is a really nice one, aren't a bad thing. It's males you really have to be pickier about (when breeding, otherwise all that matters is you love how they look!)
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Re: New addition: 0.1 Mahogany - start of a longer term project.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    She is lovely! Single gene females, especially when the gene is a really nice one, aren't a bad thing. It's males you really have to be pickier about (when breeding, otherwise all that matters is you love how they look!)
    Yeah, will be pursuing a 1.0 single gene mahogany next year as well. Took me ages and a number of enquiries to source this lovely lady, I'll be applying the level enthusiasm for the male too.

The primary goal is to produce a Suma for my own collection in a few years time. Who knows how many clutches of slugs / producing only normals / mahoganies that may take? But that's my initial target.

After that, I've got time to decide! Line breed siblings from different clutches for more Suma's? Saw an image of an absolutely stunning Banana Suma the other day as well, so there are options!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    Yeah, will be pursuing a 1.0 single gene mahogany next year as well. Took me ages and a number of enquiries to source this lovely lady, I'll be applying the level enthusiasm for the male too.

The primary goal is to produce a Suma for my own collection in a few years time. Who knows how many clutches of slugs / producing only normals / mahoganies that may take? But that's my initial target.

After that, I've got time to decide! Line breed siblings from different clutches for more Suma's? Saw an image of an absolutely stunning Banana Suma the other day as well, so there are options!
    Suma x Banana =
    1/2 Banana Mahogany
    1/2 Mahogany
    and then you are having to go another generation at least to hit Banana Suma

You would be better of starting with a Banana Mahogany male than just Mahogany male. Really think this through what your end goal is before you start and you will save a lot of money and time. If there is anything you want in super form or any recessive you are wanting, it's best if your prize male you breed has it though over having things you only need one copy of. So if you are trying to hit Banana Mahogany Clown for example, I would choose Clown Mahogany male > Banana Mahogany. You have more time to pick a male than a female because females need a lot longer to mature, and the longer you give your female to get nice and big, the more eggs you will get the first year.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-15-2021),Bleh (11-14-2021),Bogertophis (11-14-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Really think this through what your end goal is before you start and you will save a lot of money and time.
    Always eager to learn from those with experience and will hang on your every word with my considerations moving forward.

My primary objective is to create a Suma for my personal collection. My further assumption was it may be possible to breed the Suma with a Banana and get a Banana Mahogany which could then be put back to the Suma for better odds of a Banana Suma?? But this was just a two minute consideration. Plans can change and this may not happen, but the Suma will. This is my plan and has been for a while now

Thanks
    Yep, you can do that, it's just extra steps and more pairs to accomplish the same thing. Seems like a small thing right now, but if you ever get remotely serious about breeding, you are going to have males stacking up that you aren't using more than once if you aren't clever about what you buy and hold back.

If you go Banana Mahogany x Mahogany you have a chance to hit Suma and Banana Suma without any other holdbacks. Plus the Banana Mahogany can go to other females too to shoot for different things, and you get twice as many possibilities from it vs a Mahogany. The more genes you can squeeze in on your males you buy the better, and females you can be a lot less selective about because with the right male, even a Normal female can make some awesome babies. Of course, the same goes the other way around if it's 1.1, but 1.6 makes a bunch of cool stuff, 6.1 does you no more good than 1.1. Make sense?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bleh (11-21-2021)