Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

1 members and 2,819 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Snake Shed preservation?

I'm a new ball python owner, piebald gene. He's absolutely gorgeous. He wouldn't eat for like 2 weeks and then went all pale on me. Worried I scared him sick. But the baby shed over night! Sadly it didn't go as planned and he had some stuck shed that I was able to remove after a nice soak. I'm wondering, whats your methods of preserving it? I got this nice piece that I want to make into a bracelet or something, since its his first shed here, but if thats not possible any form of preservation will do!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Just a head's up & not knowing where you live, when you save snake sheds, make sure you keep them in something air-tight- like a ziploc bag or a metal container with a snug lid. At least until you've treated them with something to preserve them & make them unpalatable, because in some areas there are moths that will EAT them. I found that out when I lived in the desert & there was almost nothing left of my saved shed, lol.

I've never done it, but I'd imagine you could coat them with something like a clear polyurethane (Varathane, or Minwax polyacrylic, etc) or probably Thomson's water seal, if you have any of those products around. For a while, nail salons were laminating pieces of snake sheds onto people's nails for a unique look- fancy nails are not my "thing", I just read about it- so I have no idea if they're still doing it, but that suggests that clear nail polish would also work. It would be hard to coat a big piece or a whole shed with that though.

If you mess up, don't worry, there should be many more sheds to practice on, & with any luck, you'll get nice whole ones. They're slightly damp when first shed because snakes secrete a little moisture between the old & new skin to facilitate the shedding. Shedding requires good hydration, & so does digestion: therefore, if you notice your snake is "pale" (we usually call it "blue"), they're in shed & it's best NOT to feed them until after they've finished with their shed. FYI- doing so can often result in stuck shed that needs your help to remove & it typically comes off in many pieces. Snakes don't need an exact schedule for feeding- just avoid feeding when in shed. That's why your snake refused food- he instinctively knew better than to eat. Very normal.

When their body secretes the moisture to help them remove the old shed skin, it usually appears for a while that they've already shed- we say they "go clear" because suddenly that cloudy old skin looks like the new skin. (The moisture makes it nearly clear.) Don't be fooled- they always "go clear" shortly before they shed. Just something to know...welcome to the fun of living with snakes. Yours is a pretty little beep (BP) by the way- saw his pic in the other thread.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-13-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanks for all the info! I think i'll try the nail polish method first since that'd prolly be the easiest to get my hands on! I've had some good help with him so far. Lots of first snake ownership worries! I haven't fed him since i noticed the opaqueness but i'll remember to refrain from trying once i see him pre-shed again.

Thanks

Re: Snake Shed preservation?

Also, if you're into jewely, Emily over on Snake Discovery (You Tube) posted a tutorial some time ago about how to make a cabuchon with snake skin, using a kit. You might check that out.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-13-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Snake Shed preservation?

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    Also, if you're into jewely, Emily over on Snake Discovery (You Tube) posted a tutorial some time ago about how to make a cabuchon with snake skin, using a kit. You might check that out.
    I forgot about that -I'm glad you didn't- I remember seeing those, very nice! A nice keepsake for "baby's first shed" & all you need is a little piece.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (11-15-2021)