Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,259

1 members and 3,258 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Question Shredded Paper as Substrate?

Can you use shredded paper as a substrate? I work in an office that shreds a lot of paper and I was wondering if I could use it as a substrate. Like newspaper only more dynamic. The paper is primarily white copy paper printed on using inkjet printers. Thanks.

Thanks
    I've seen it in photos so I think it's okay. I've heard of it a couple times but I don't remember if it's good or bad. I would experiment and see if the ink bleeds off when wet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Sure. I use it ALL the time for my snakes- I shred all my clean business papers in my own shredder- & mix it with some Carefresh for my snakes.

Carefresh is "heavier" these days so the paper shreds add "lightness & fluff"- & recycles my papers too. But don't use Carefresh for BPs- it's hygroscopic & BPs need humidity.

Paper shreds are neutral with respect to humidity, so for a snake that needs humidity, you'll need a GOOD humid hide, IF you use paper shreds. You would NOT want to mix paper shreds with any kind of damp substrate. Damp paper shreds will not be a good idea- I'm keeping mostly colubrids- they do fine with dry substrates. Many snakes love a chance to just burrow into a big box of paper shreds too- like "play time".

The only concern I'd have is about the health safety of the ink being used- is there any odor? If there is, I'd skip it.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-12-2021 at 12:14 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (11-12-2021),Homebody (11-12-2021),nikkubus (11-12-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Yep, I agree with Bogertophis. I'd check how the ink is, but other thank that your big concern is humidity.

Personally I wouldn't use it with a BP even with a humid hide because you might have mold issues, where coco bark style products are pretty good with not molding unless you really overdo it with humidity. Great for snakes that like a drier climate though!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-12-2021),Erie_herps (11-12-2021),Homebody (11-12-2021)

Thanks

Re: Shredded Paper as Substrate?

Thanks all. I'm between snakes right now but I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Thanks all. I'm between snakes right now but I'll keep it in mind.
    As I recall, you were thinking about a small Aussie python? FYI, I line my spotted python's tank with a layer of paper towel (makes for easy clean up- just roll it all up), then put a mix of paper shreds & Carefresh over that- about 1" deep, & of course, she has a large humid hide with moss or orchid bark inside, which she needs & obviously enjoys. I have never used a damp substrate for her entire tank, as most ppl do with their BPs.

As far as printer ink being toxic- to the best of my knowledge, some years back newspapers switched to harmless soy-based ink. It's safe to shred & use. (I just don't get physical newspapers any more.) I can't speak for your work printers, but I shred & use copies from my home inkjet printer (as well as clean business papers from elsewhere)- I don't notice any sort of smell to the ink- it seems to be safe, & I've been using it for years- most always mixed as I described above. I also shred clean brown paper bags & brown craft paper, as it's absorbent. (I exclude any slick paper as it's NOT absorbent.) All of my snakes are housed in glass tanks with screen tops, with good air-flow, so any minor odors would dissipate pretty well, but anything I notice first (ANY sort of chemical odor) would NOT be used.

Shredded paper is a similar texture to aspen shreds, but it's also free. One other advantage for using paper shreds is that there's a lot of air spaces in it (assuming it stays dry), unlike many of the semi-moist coco-bark substrates which are quite dense. It's an advantage for me because I use UTH on all my tanks, & the heat rises much easier thru loose substrates like paper shreds or aspen flakes, whereas dense ones tend to "insulate" the cage floor & prevent heat from rising. I see posts all the time about how the heat from UTH doesn't raise the ambient temperature in enclosures, but part of the reason likely has to do with the choice (and depth!) of substrate.

So it all depends on what you're keeping- me, I'm a colubrid person with few exceptions now, & my exceptions are fine with it anyway. (I also have a desert rosy boa- no need for damp substrate there either.) Taking the best care of snakes means thinking about the needs of whatever species you're keeping- it's not "one product fits all".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-13-2021 at 08:03 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (11-14-2021),Homebody (11-14-2021),nikkubus (11-13-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As I recall, you were thinking about a small Aussie python? FYI, I line my spotted python's tank with a layer of paper towel (makes for easy clean up- just roll it all up), then put a mix of paper shreds & Carefresh over that- about 1" deep, & of course, she has a large humid hide with moss or orchid bark inside, which she needs & obviously enjoys. I have never used a damp substrate for her entire tank, as most ppl do with their BPs.

As far as printer ink being toxic- to the best of my knowledge, some years back newspapers switched to harmless soy-based ink. It's safe to shred & use. (I just don't get physical newspapers any more.) I can't speak for your work printers, but I shred & use copies from my home inkjet printer (as well as clean business papers from elsewhere)- I don't notice any sort of smell to the ink- it seems to be safe, & I've been using it for years- most always mixed as I described above. I also shred clean brown paper bags & brown craft paper, as it's absorbent. (I exclude any slick paper as it's NOT absorbent.) All of my snakes are housed in glass tanks with screen tops, with good air-flow, so any minor odors would dissipate pretty well, but anything I notice first (ANY sort of chemical odor) would NOT be used.

Shredded paper is a similar texture to aspen shreds, but it's also free. One other advantage for using paper shreds is that there's a lot of air spaces in it (assuming it stays dry), unlike many of the semi-moist coco-bark substrates which are quite dense. It's an advantage for me because I use UTH on all my tanks, & the heat rises much easier thru loose substrates like paper shreds or aspen flakes, whereas dense ones tend to "insulate" the cage floor & prevent heat from rising. I see posts all the time about how the heat from UTH doesn't raise the ambient temperature in enclosures, but part of the reason likely has to do with the choice (and depth!) of substrate.

So it all depends on what you're keeping- me, I'm a colubrid person with few exceptions now, & my exceptions are fine with it anyway. (I also have a desert rosy boa- no need for damp substrate there either.) Taking the best care of snakes means thinking about the needs of whatever species you're keeping- it's not "one product fits all".
    Yeah, right now, I'm thinking Children's python, most likely a hatchling. I planned to use newspaper as the substrate with a humid hide; just as I did with my ball python. I saw the bags of shredded paper in my office and thought it looked like aspen. I thought a hatchling would have a ball burrowing through it. I hadn't considered it's ability to trap heat from a UTH. That's a bonus. Sounds like you have a lot of experience keeping different species on it, so I'll feel comfortable giving it a try. Thanks.

Thanks
    Hatchling snakes LOVE to burrow in paper shreds. Fyi, I've raised many hatchlings (of various kinds including rat snakes & rosy boas, etc) & I have often kept them for a while in paper shreds- at first, it was hand-shredded & fluffed paper towels, but it all works. (I didn't always have a paper shredder.) They feel hidden, yet can move around easily; give them a good 2" depth & they'll be ecstatic- also, brave enough to feed well. You can put some in hides also. Carefresh used to have a somewhat different texture- softer, that held together- & when I used that for my neonate rosy boas, they dug soft tunnels that stayed in place for the most part, like an ant farm, lol. Be sure you get permission to run off with the office shreds- you wouldn't want them to think you're piecing them together for illegal purposes- if anything, reassure them they'll be even more "secure" once they're full of snake poo...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-15-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Be sure you get permission to run off with the office shreds- you wouldn't want them to think you're piecing them together for illegal purposes- if anything, reassure them they'll be even more "secure" once they're full of snake poo...
    Fortunately for me, my boss's daughter has two corn snakes. So, I'm sure he'll understand; probably grab a bag for her.
    Last edited by Homebody; 11-15-2021 at 10:29 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2021)