Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,382

5 members and 2,377 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Guarding poop?

Thanks

Guarding poop?

I got a BP about a month ago, unsexed, and fairly young. I'm pretty sure he's male based on tail shape, but as a first time snake owner, I don't own or feel confident in the use of probes, and am not confident enough to try popping. He hasn't had a problem eating at all so far, being fed once weekly, and always strikes and "strangles" the mice (quotations as I feed him thawed frozen fuzzies, so I'm not sure you can strangle something that's already dead). He pooped for the first time today, which is good, but the odd thing is he seems to be guarding it. He's coiled around it, and doesn't appear to be intending to move. Has anyone else ever experienced this kind of behavior?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I've never heard of a snake guarding their excrement, and I don't think it has anything to do with gender. But all I can think of, since he's still fairly new with you, is that he's just shy about moving away while you're watching him. Have you tried turning out the light & leaving the room? Many snakes rely on their natural camouflage- and any movement when they're out "in the open" can give away their location to predators who would be all too happy to have them for lunch.

BTW,
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-11-2021 at 11:37 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)