Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,425

1 members and 2,424 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Hybrid View

Thanks

More Poop (I think) questions

Hey folks,
    So my BP is now just over a year old and is at the 350g mark and has been taking weaned rats. He's eating readily and seems totally happy. He's had two regurgitations in his life, one very early in life when he was ~3 months old and one maybe at 5 months old. Since that time though things have seemingly been good and we've settled into "normal" but I still worry that he'll backslide someday and start puking again...

So today I went to check on him and the first thing I notice is that his tub is soaked, he'd clearly stuffed himself entirely into his water bowl and all the water that was in there was now soaking the floor of his tub. Second thing I notice is next to the water bowl is a wad of fur. He ate 96 hours ago but I honestly haven't checked on him in the interim days; I try and just leave him be after feedings. I pulled the fur wad out and it didn't smell great (Not awful? How does one judge such things...it smelled like a ball of fur that had been inside a snake I guess!) but it was, as far as I could tell, 100% fur. No bones, no skin, nothing recognizable as anything other than fur. The other two times he's regurgitated there was very clearly a partially digested rat...hind legs attached to a "skin suit" or an intact pelt with skin and hair and shape to it...again, nothing like that here.

Some folks seem to have posted that their BPs have pooped out "fur poops" before, and I've certainly seen poops that had some fur mixed in, but this was really just a hairball. The rats he's taking now have substantially more hair than what he used to eat now that he's taking small weaned rats.

If I'm optimistic, I think he plopped himself into his water bowl and, like some BPs, that helped him relax his bowels and he passed this big wad of hair he's been holding onto. If I'm pessimistic, this is another regurgitation. Can a BP get a wad of hair clogged in its stomach and JUST puke up the hair after everything else goes through?

Thoughts? He seems totally fine and chill otherwise.

Thanks

Re: More Poop (I think) questions

And here you go...keep in mind that the entire tub was flooded so this could certainly have been drier when it came out of him...no way to know unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

To me it just looks like he didn’t digest all the fur. I believe they can’t digest it all but I’m sure Boger will be able to correct me on that

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not" -Kurt Cobain

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Balls View Post
    To me it just looks like he didn’t digest all the fur. I believe they can’t digest it all but I’m sure Boger will be able to correct me on that

I agree, especially if you're talking about rat fur- it's thicker & abundant- so it's often seen in their feces- to where it's really obvious. I think the mouse-fur is harder to see (it mixes in better as the texture is much lighter), and to be quite honest, I don't have a reason to go looking for it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (11-11-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree, especially if you're talking about rat fur- it's thicker & abundant- so it's often seen in their feces- to where it's really obvious. I think the mouse-fur is harder to see (it mixes in better as the texture is much lighter), and to be quite honest, I don't have a reason to go looking for it.
    So think he just pooped out a big wad of rat fur and I'm overanxious?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tempo36 View Post
    So think he just pooped out a big wad of rat fur and I'm overanxious?

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

tempo36 (11-11-2021)