Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,980

2 members and 2,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python Moving

I'm going to college in Germany and currently live in the U.S. Is it legal to own a ball python in Germany and how would one move an enclosure and snake there? Do I need to look at possibly selling my snake if I can't take it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If I was set on taking it I would have someone care for it until you get there and have an enclosure setup. Then have them ship it to me.

But I would personally rehome it. So many things could go wrong trying to take it with you.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Snow Balls (11-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    No idea what Germany allows in or requires, nor what shipping would cost. One place I would ask is SYR (Ship Your Reptiles), one of our site sponsors (see ad at left border).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Spicey (11-10-2021)

Thanks
    So, to the best of my knowledge it looks like ball pythons are perfectly legal to own in Germany, but you'll probably have to jump through a few hoops. A lot of EU countries can be kinda difficult for moving pets, especially exotic pets, around.

If I were you, I would first of all check with the German embassy or consulate. Depending on where you're currently located, there may be a consulate close to you; I know there are consulates in some bigger cities. You'll need papers from both the US and Germany saying that it's cool to bring your snake in, so I'd try to get in contact with the embassy (it should be the customs office that handles it, but if you contact the embassy they should be able to point you in the right direction) so you have someone to help with all the paperwork and eliminate the guesswork. Here's a link to the German missions website to help you with finding that contact info.

Some animals can only be brought in through certain entry points, and I'm fairly certain most snakes will fall under that category, so be sure to check where it's legal to bring the snake through at. Depending on where you're moving, you might not be able to just mail it through.

On the simpler side, though, reptiles at least don't require a passport (cats and dogs do, though), and I think all you really need to do is just check with the embassy to get import and export permits issued. For a ball python, that shouldn't be too much of a process. If I were you, I'd get in contact with the German embassy as soon as possible to figure this out since customs stuff can be so complicated. You should be good with a ball python, but you definitely don't want to wind up missing some paperwork on moving day.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to arpowell For This Useful Post:

Bob212 (11-11-2021),Bogertophis (11-11-2021),plateOfFlan (11-10-2021)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Moving

Quote Originally Posted by Bob212 View Post
    I'm going to college in Germany and currently live in the U.S. Is it legal to own a ball python in Germany and how would one move an enclosure and snake there? Do I need to look at possibly selling my snake if I can't take it?
    I know this might be a while in your mind but are you planning to live in Germany for a while? Or just for college? I'd try to get someone to watch your animal for a few years before I go through the customs stuff. If you plan on coming back to the US after college then you and the snake would have to go through the process all over again.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

KMG (11-11-2021)

Thanks
    I believe you can get snakes into Germany but not back into America. If it's only temporary I would find someone to take care of the snake while you're gone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    I know this might be a while in your mind but are you planning to live in Germany for a while? Or just for college? I'd try to get someone to watch your animal for a few years before I go through the customs stuff. If you plan on coming back to the US after college then you and the snake would have to go through the process all over again.

That would be an awful LONG time for anyone to babysit someone else's pet. And meanwhile, they may get very attached to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Erie_herps View Post
    I believe you can get snakes into Germany but not back into America...
    That's a really important thing to check, before you take the snake out of the country. And things could change too- with zoonotic disease potential, who knows what future rules may be put in place even just as a precaution.

That's a very long flight too- not sure I'd put a snake thru that air shipping- things can get held up & let's face it, plenty of people hate snakes & do things deliberately too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That would be an awful LONG time for anyone to babysit someone else's pet. And meanwhile, they may get very attached to it.
    That's true but someone might be willing to do it. Mostly just trying to think/give all the options. Personally my dorm didn't allow pets so my cat that I've raised since birth had to stay with my mother. Now I know a cat is very different than a snake but the concept kinda still applies. I had to do what's best for my animal and me even though I hated being without her. Now if I couldn't find a home for her for college, I probably would have had to re-home her. I was fortunate in that sense. You gotta think about your animal versus your needs. Or at least that's how I look at it. I know it's not ideal but it's an option to consider.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    That's true but someone might be willing to do it. Mostly just trying to think/give all the options. Personally my dorm didn't allow pets so my cat that I've raised since birth had to stay with my mother. Now I know a cat is very different than a snake but the concept kinda still applies. I had to do what's best for my animal and me even though I hated being without her. Now if I couldn't find a home for her for college, I probably would have had to re-home her. I was fortunate in that sense. You gotta think about your animal versus your needs. Or at least that's how I look at it. I know it's not ideal but it's an option to consider.

I know, not every answer works for every person & their pet. I hadn't even thought about whether the OP is planning to live in a dorm- or with roommates- as many ppl hate snakes (or the fact that they eat those 'cute little furry rodents'), which makes it another deal-breaker or risky for the snake (when no one's looking) even if it's technically allowed. Anyway, I hope the OP finds this discussion helpful- it's hard for one person to "think of everything" & foresee the future. Even when something is allowed & legal, it may not be the best option, especially for the animal.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (11-11-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast