Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

1 members and 2,857 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help! Mystery eggs ID and general advice?

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I would consider the source, and take absolutely no offence on that basis alone. He is in no position to be calling anyone else stupid. While if you want to get technical, a Mojave IS a "het Mojave" because het means they have one copy of a gene, you certainly can't have a BP with a hidden recessive Mojave gene, and practically nobody calls a Mojave a "het Mojave". He sounds like he either has no clue what he is talking about, or pretending not to in order to rip people off, or both.
    Also bought a banana 'clown' female from him about a week after I got Hendrix only for it not to be a clown. Pretty much just took advantage of us as we hadn't kept the species before and took his word on good faith. Pretty embarrassing now.

Sent from my Note 9P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    For the babies leave them until they come out on their own. Personally I don't think ball python eggs should be cut but if you do decide to cut them (in the future if you breed) wait until 24 hours after the first pip or until the second pip. If you're considering buying a snake you can use Morphmarket and look at snakes with the same genes to see if they look similar (to verify the genetics). You can also start a new thread on here for identification help. Often snakes are identified correctly but unfortunately you still sometimes end up with people who try to rip you off.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erie_herps For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-11-2021),bcr229 (11-10-2021),Bogertophis (12-03-2021),GoingPostal (11-14-2021),marigoldmenagerie (11-10-2021),nikkubus (11-10-2021)

Thanks

Hey guys, it's been a few days. I have been very concerned about my babies. Their whites have changed, some of them clouding or even yellowing.

I have been checking on them twice a day, and I have this awful feeling they're not doing well. A couple are staying belly up. I had a check just now and poked them gently, and less responded than last time.

Also, there is a distinct 'damp' smell. It's quite musty and smells like my dad's old basement apartment (idk if that helps?) so I wonder if that's mould?

My questions are;

1) How can I verify health and being 'alive'?
    2) Is there a smell associated with dead fetuses? (I have only smelt damp smell, no sulphur like with dead mammals)
    3) Is there a way I can tell how much longer they will be? (I am very worried)
    4) What does a yellowing white mean?
    5) What does a clouding white mean?
    6) How can I spot mould on a cut egg? Does it start on the shell or on the white?

Thanks in advance!

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

I see you have a lot of concerns, but, have very limited options at this point. Make sure temp. and humidity are in the proper range, and only open the incubator once/day for a quick peek. Dehydration is an issue with cut eggs and a damp paper towel (distilled water) should be covering them and preventing you from 'poking' the exposed embryos. Along those lines: movement inside the egg does not guarantee a successful hatch. There are a lot of things that can go wrong in the late stages of incubation and development...this is the point where you will see the ultimate result of any issue you had during the entire process.

As for dead eggs: Use your best judgement. Sometimes it is obvious, sometimes it is not. Even if I am 95% certain an egg is dead I will continue to incubate it until I am 100%-there is nothing to lose-and something to gain. Win or lose-it is a learning experience...Best of luck!
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-14-2021),Bogertophis (11-13-2021),marigoldmenagerie (11-14-2021),nikkubus (11-13-2021),Skyrivers (11-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Bad smell doesn't happen as fast with eggs going bad as you might expect, but they can get quite stinky when they do start smelling. I don't normally cut until I get a pip, so I have limited experience with what goes on in this time frame. They won't always respond to touch, so that isn't much of a negative indication. Belly up is not a good sign though.

I agree with Lord Sorril, the best thing you can do is bug them as little as possible to preserve humidity, heat, and reduce contaminants being introduced.

If they don't end up making it, or some don't, don't beat yourself up. It can be really tough to get everything right, and you went into this whole situation without planning for it and did your best. Hopefully they do make it though! I'm crossing my fingers for you.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-14-2021),Bogertophis (11-13-2021),marigoldmenagerie (11-14-2021),plateOfFlan (11-14-2021)

Thanks

Hello, it's been a while! I definitely cut the eggs far too early as the first baby didn't emerge until Nov 30!!! I couldn't believe how far off I was.

One baby did unfortunately pass in the time I was waiting.

Baby number one came on Nov 30
    Baby number two came Dec 1
    Baby number three came Dec 2
    Baby number four has his head out, but hasn't emerged yet.

Of the ones that have emerged, it looks like two normals and a pastel, but a couple of them have really scrambled patterning so I'll be back with pics once theyve shed.

I have just now moved the three that have hatched into a communal bin with a nice dark hide and damp paper towels.

I had a question though-

The three that have come out have been absorbing up their umbilicus but I notice where theyre healing there is vermiculite from the incubator stuck to the wound. I tried gently wiping with warm water but it didn't come off. Is this something to worry about or should it be ok?

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    It should come off with their first shed. Just make sure to keep things nice and clean and good humidity. You don't want egg goop laying around and molding.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (12-05-2021),Bogertophis (12-03-2021),Lord Sorril (12-03-2021),marigoldmenagerie (12-03-2021)

Thanks

Thanks again! The final baby emerged this afternoon, but remaining in the egg after he detached his umbilicus was this mass. Is this the yolk sac? And if so, do I need to take extra measures to keep him healthy considering he hasn't had his yolk?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Yes, that is unabsorbed yolk.

Some hatchlings are developed/large enough where a detached yolk is not an issue. Depending upon the body condition/size of the hatchling you will have to make a decision whether or not to wait for the natural feeding response to kick in...or jump-start it immediately after first shed by assist/force feeding before they run out of nutrients.
    *.* TNTC

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Alicia (12-05-2021),Bogertophis (12-05-2021),marigoldmenagerie (12-05-2021),nikkubus (12-05-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Yes, that is unabsorbed yolk.

Some hatchlings are developed/large enough where a detached yolk is not an issue. Depending upon the body condition/size of the hatchling you will have to make a decision whether or not to wait for the natural feeding response to kick in...or jump-start it immediately after first shed by assist/force feeding before they run out of nutrients.
    He seems just as big as his siblings. Weighs the same, only 2 grams less. Should I worry?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast