Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,069

1 members and 3,068 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Come to think of it, all of my animals have potential prejudice against them.

The fish were already explained with the weight and potential water damage, my bird for noise and mess (even though he's very quiet most of the time but most people will immediately think noisy whenever a bird is mentioned) and snakes are just hated on principle no matter what. Sigh...

I don't know why I'm worrying about this now when it'll be some time before such events will occur but, it's dawning on me just how difficult it will be to keep my "family" together in the future...

Thanks
    ...Sorry, I had a little emotional breakdown again.

I don't know why I get so worked up over things that aren't going to happen until years later, my brain is just really dumb like that sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: A chronic collecting issue with the hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Come to think of it, all of my animals have potential prejudice against them.

The fish were already explained with the weight and potential water damage, my bird for noise and mess (even though he's very quiet most of the time but most people will immediately think noisy whenever a bird is mentioned) and snakes are just hated on principle no matter what. Sigh...

I don't know why I'm worrying about this now when it'll be some time before such events will occur but, it's dawning on me just how difficult it will be to keep my "family" together in the future...
    You're "worrying about this now" because that's what responsible adults have to do- plan for what's important in their life. When renting or leasing a place- you can't blame a landlord for trying to protect against damages. So many renters are careless about damages &/or lie about having pets. When you have pets, plan for "security- damage- & cleaning deposits" being required, & hope they'll be open-minded enough to work with you.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

WrongPython (12-11-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

I agree with Boger here: thinking about these sorts of things now and planning ahead is the right thing to do when dealing with long-lived animals such as reptiles. This is particularly true if you're just starting out and thinking of how (or if) you'd like to expand your menagerie.

From personal experience, I'd say you might be pleasantly surprised how some landlords are viewing pet snakes nowadays. Once they learn they live in a box, don't free-roam the house, and don't make a stink, they're typically happy to let you keep them. Bonus points if they see door locks and safety regulators like Herpstats.

Things are definitely different on the avian and large scale aquatics front. Small birds are typically tolerated, but large birds such as parrots may be a no-go. Most apartment buildings also wouldn't allow a tank such as your 125 gallon -- most only allow tanks up to 30 gallons or so. It's also incredibly annoying to move a tank any larger than that, so I wouldn't recommend keeping a tank that large going if you think you'll be moving around a lot. There's a reason why I've only kept betta fish for the past few years.

In addition to thinking about landlords, don't forget to think about exotic ownership laws in the places you may move. More than a few towns have "no snakes over six feet" rules, and more and more states are starting to place restrictions on native species possession as a result of rampant poaching. For example: I've been seriously thinking of getting a cornsnake as of late, so I've done a little forward research into native reptile ownership laws in the states I may move to in the future. Many states restrict the ownership of wild-type and dark-eyed corns while allowing albinos/amels to be kept at-large. So, as long as the corn in question is an amel or amel combo, I'd be okay.

Long story short: it's good to plan for the future, but don't overly fret about it. You probably won't be forced to live animal-less, but you will probably face some constraints in terms of the types of animals you can keep.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-12-2021),Bogertophis (12-12-2021)

Thanks

It's definitely good to think about this stuff. I agree with the others you'll be kinda surprised what will be an issue and what won't be. When I moved, I couldn't bring my cat with me. A snake or reptile is perfectly fine but no cats. Thankfully my family doesn't mind taking care of her until I have a place that allows cats but I was shocked that out of all animals a really common one is excluded. Although I know the damages cats can make so it does make sense from a landlord perspective. Just try not to stress overly about it. Make sure you have a place for your animals to go even if it's without you. Do what's best for you and your animals.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neko_snake For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-12-2021),WrongPython (12-12-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neko_snake View Post
    It's definitely good to think about this stuff. I agree with the others you'll be kinda surprised what will be an issue and what won't be. When I moved, I couldn't bring my cat with me. A snake or reptile is perfectly fine but no cats. Thankfully my family doesn't mind taking care of her until I have a place that allows cats but I was shocked that out of all animals a really common one is excluded. Although I know the damages cats can make so it does make sense from a landlord perspective. Just try not to stress overly about it. Make sure you have a place for your animals to go even if it's without you. Do what's best for you and your animals.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Which pets are excluded often comes down to the prior bad experiences those landlords (& their insurance companies) have faced in the past- that determines how open-minded they'll be.

As far as cats, when I was in college, I once lived in an apartment where someone was feeding a stray cat that wasn't allowed as a pet. As a result, the entire building got infested with fleas in the carpet, and had to be fumigated- talk about miserable, & probably costly. If everyone was responsible with the animals they keep...but sadly, they just aren't, so rules get made for all. Hang in there.

Thanks
    I think my odds of getting to keep my aquarium may be higher than initially supposed. The land around where I live is pretty flat, so most apartment complexes (assuming you don't go too urban) are ground level. There's still the water damage concern of course, but the fact of being on the ground (so should the worst happen it's only my slot that gets ruined) should theoretically work in my favor. That and I'd imagine the weight wouldn't be as much of a problem since it wouldn't be straining supports or anything.
    Last edited by Snagrio; 12-12-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    I think my odds of getting to keep my aquarium may be higher than initially supposed. The land around where I live is pretty flat, so most apartment complexes (assuming you don't go too urban) are ground level. There's still the water damage concern of course, but the fact of being on the ground (so should the worst happen it's only my slot that gets ruined) should theoretically work in my favor. That and I'd imagine the weight wouldn't be as much of a problem since it wouldn't be straining supports or anything.
    That should help & I hope you're right.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

After loosing a large collection to a wreck last year, I have decided to focus my collection on specific species. Ones that are a focus for me that I enjoy. I like BPs but I love other species more. I have one retic and a GTP and I think a carpet would round out the collection completely to where I have some of the more exotics that I want and not to many to care for. I enjoy the challenge of retics. There intelligent and powerful animals. GTPs are a new one for me but is another challenge species to build trust with. Carpets are amazing and love their patterns.

I am more focused on learning and studying them than collecting them this time. I am a biologist at heart.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2021),Erie_herps (12-14-2021),Hugsplox (12-21-2021)

Thanks

A weird thing I've noticed now that people know I have snakes is that people who want snakes but can't keep them currently keep trying to pressure me into buying more snakes, I guess so they can live vicariously? I keep repeating I don't want anymore animals, let alone more snakes, but I've had people suggest I get a hognose, a false water cobra, an African house snake, a baby burm ... despite me not having interest in any of those or space for them (no offense to any of these species, just not for me and I don't have room!), I think these are snakes they want themselves. I also know some impulse-purchasers who are out of room and also urge me to get snakes they want, it's pretty annoying.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-17-2021),Erie_herps (12-22-2021),Hugsplox (12-21-2021),Mr. Misha (12-17-2021),Spicey (12-17-2021)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123