Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,206

0 members and 3,206 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

A chronic collecting issue with the hobby

Some of you have known me long enough to know that, even with a BP and several other animals, I've spent a lot of time here planning and discussing further additions when my financial and logistical background is screaming otherwise. Well, after mulling it over for a few days, I think I'm understanding why I have gotten into the mindset of wanting more snakes when I'm really not ready for it. It involves the internet and the reptile keeping culture attached to it.

I really took a step back and analyzed things and noticed a pattern of what you could call "acquisition syndrome." Wherein it feels like a major driving force of the hobby at large is to continuously get more animals at varying but steady rates. At first you'd think this is primarily just reptile YouTubers who do it for the views but, no. This behavior seems prevalent everywhere. On YouTube, social media, reptile groups, convention goers, even forums including this one; all of them sport a disproportionate number of people who seem to have a compulsive habit of needing to fill an entire room (if not multiple) of JUST reptiles and/or other exotic pets to fulfill whatever "collection quota" they've got in their heads. and I got caught up in it all that easily.

I should stress the difference between having a lot of animals in general and the almost clockwork rate at which the above mentioned seem to amass a host of critters within a given time frame. Namely, the animals feel more like they were acquired in the same vein as how one collects figurines or cards; rapidly and vapidly. In my personal case for example I knew from the start I'd probably want multiple snakes in due time after the circumstances and resources were sufficient, but it quickly got out of hand to me almost auto-planning for half a dozen species when I had barely gotten into a routine with the snake I had just brought home.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2021),Erie_herps (11-09-2021),GoingPostal (11-09-2021),Homebody (11-09-2021),Luvyna (12-11-2021),Mr. Misha (12-11-2021),nikkubus (11-08-2021),plateOfFlan (11-08-2021),WrongPython (11-08-2021)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: A chronic collecting issue with the hobby

A lot of reptiles are relatively easy to care for and provide a high rate of entertainment for their keeper. I think most people follow the logic: if one makes them happy then two might make them *more* happy. The trap of course is that at some point you have diminishing returns. Is it more fun to keep 5 leopard geckos, or 500? Where does it stop being fun-and where does it become work? I think each person has their own threshold...some people are better gauging it than others.
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-11-2021),Hugsplox (11-09-2021),nikkubus (11-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    We often "joke" about snakes & other reptiles being addicting, but it's not a completely frivolous description. Snakes especially are so easy to live with & nice to look at, that it's all too easy to just keep adding "one more", because hey, why not? I'm glad to see you're doing some self-examination, as we ALL should do, to make sure we've considered all the angles before adding yet another long-lived pet. For some people it's cats, or birds, or dogs. But no matter what, all pets deserve the best care, & that includes long-term planning as part of our lives.

That means being able to afford not just their enclosure & food, but also leaving room in your budget for vet care, as well as the time to actually clean & interact with them as needed. It also means making sure that you have a place to live that allows your pets, & that's a big one if you're young & still living "at home", because in the future that's likely to change, & things can get really complicated in a hurry. Renting with pet snakes can be very difficult, & hiding them from a landlord when not allowed is a very bad idea. Being impulsive gets many people in trouble one way or another (not just with pets). There's always lots of temptations being shown here & elsewhere- fair warning- that's just life.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-09-2021),Hugsplox (11-09-2021),nikkubus (11-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Yes, yes, yes to all of the above. Couldn't have expressed it all better myself.

I've run through the same mental exercise as you, Snagrio, and have come to the same conclusions. There are dozens of species and localities I'd really like to keep. I don't think I'd be happy keeping all of them at the same time, though. It can be very hard to resist running out and buying them all when they come up for sale, and doubly hard to turn away a cheap-to-free rehome when offered one by a friend. That being said, it's the best way to stay personally sustainable and enjoy reptiles in the long term. If anything, it makes finally getting that reptile I've been wanting for a while all the sweeter.

For what it's worth: pursuing proper vet care/health screening, building fancy adult enclosures (or at least setting aside the money to do so in the future), and spending a lot of one-on-one time with your herps is definitely helps keep the headcount from getting too large. At least on my end.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2021),Homebody (11-09-2021),nikkubus (11-09-2021)

Thanks

You see the same thing with tarantulas, I was proud of myself for putting on the brakes after 9. It seems like once you've had a new specimen home for a bit and are getting used to taking care of it the itch comes on again - and a lot of people in the hobby will just encourage it "oh you have to get that one! Oh just one more!" How many people have asked a discord or forum "should I get species A or species B?" and been answered with a chorus of "GET EM BOTH!" I've learned just to not ask so I won't be encouraged. It takes a lot of self control to say "I don't have space / expertise / time for this one right now" and anyone who makes the responsible choice should be applauded
    Last edited by plateOfFlan; 11-08-2021 at 10:15 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2021),Homebody (11-09-2021),nikkubus (11-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    You see the same thing with tarantulas, I was proud of myself for putting on the brakes after 9. It seems like once you've had a new specimen home for a bit and are getting used to taking care of it the itch comes on again - and a lot of people in the hobby will just encourage it "oh you have to get that one! Oh just one more!" How many people have asked a discord or forum "should I get species A or species B?" and been answered with a chorus of "GET EM BOTH!" I've learned just to not ask so I won't be encouraged. It takes a lot of self control to say "I don't have space / expertise / time for this one right now" and anyone who makes the responsible choice should be applauded
    It's even worse with T's from what I've seen. When even adults take up so little space, and you have to buy a lot more slings of one species to have a chance for a female or breeding pair because you can't sex them for quite some time... whew, gets out of control fast. They are cheaper to feed, cheaper to house, easier to care for save a few species or personal living situations, so that adds to it. That being said, T's are really, really easy to provide for in large numbers outside a few species unless your home has too harsh of an ambient climate.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    It’s called hoarding. I look at it this way. If a flood is coming can I take all the dogs, snakes an kids with me? If the answer is no, time for a bigger truck!

Sometimes you have to step back an just say no.

Good luck!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2021),GoingPostal (11-09-2021),WrongPython (11-09-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

When I started in this hobby I wanted to breed different morphs/improve on examples of morph and the hobby needed to sustain itself. I understood I wanted a mid to large collection of snakes but planned to only hold back best examples from my babies or acquire new snakes with profit from selling my babies. I know I have an addictive personality so this basic rule I stuck to helped me avoid impulse buying a large quantity of snakes in a short period of time. Granted the initial investment was for an adult pair and 4 juvie females but with my rule I needed to wait an entire year to buy another snake with profit from babies from my adult pair. If not for that those rules I set for myself I would have been straddling a line between hobbyist/hoarder early on.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mdb730 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-09-2021),Homebody (11-09-2021),WrongPython (11-09-2021)

Thanks
    I agree, hoarding is a big issue but if the keeper is still able to care for all of the animals I don't consider buying more an issue. I know that most keepers in the hobby for a long time have a limit, they only have so many enclosures and they stop buying more because they know they shouldn't get more animals. I myself have evaluated my collection and I'm going to keep my leopard gecko collection down to less than 5 adults (for now, I might be able to get more later but I'm in no rush) and look into snakes (since they have less maintenance requirements).

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I think it's very easy to end up with far too many snakes once you get "bitten by the breeding-bug". There's always more to pair in the endless pursuit of new morphs & potential profits. What happens though is that many average snakes are produced ("who knows what traits are hiding?"), & because they're nonetheless very appealing, & because it's hard to sell them off unless wholesaling them "too cheaply", some of them stay behind where they tempt owners to search out their hidden genes by pairing them up & breeding them too. On & on it goes...

Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-09-2021 at 05:18 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (11-09-2021),GoingPostal (11-09-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast