Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

3 members and 2,834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ball python enclosure help

Hey guys so I'm buying a pvc enclosure and buying a baby ball python this spring. I'm getting a new tank since it has to be ordered a month before and I want to get the Temps and humidity on point before I get the ball python.

I was looking at the 36 x 18 x 12. How hard is it to keep humidity in there compared to a 24 x 12 x 12? I wanted to buy a big one so I wouldn't have to upgrade after. Is there a huge difference in keeping humidity in there if it's that big for a baby ball python? Will the 8 x 12 UTH be enough for that big of an enclosure because that's what I have. Will the snake be able to thermoregulate being that small in a big enclosure?

My question is, is it much more difficult to hold humidity in a 36 x 18 x 12 tank that size compared to a smaller one like the 24 x 12 x 12?

I was going to use my 20 or 40 gallon terrarium I used for my bearded dragon (RIP) but I know glass doesn't hold humidity well so I'm purchasing a pvc enclosure.

PS: I know people say it stresses out the snake if the enclosure is too big but with enough hides, as long as the humidity/temp is fine and there are places to hide, I've heard it's fine.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thrillseeker For This Useful Post:

AutumnVanilla (11-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    In a good PVC cage you should have no problem holding humidity.

Why 12 inches tall though? I find those difficult to get in and clean well. I can either have my arm in or be looking in... But my both. I prefer nothing shorter than 14 inches tall. I'm not a small person though so maybe it will be easier for you.

24*12*12 also seems small to me to use the Ball's entire life. I'd get the larger one.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (11-08-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'd go with a taller enclosure too, if that was me. Even if you're not a large person, 12" tall enclosures are a pain to reach in, as KMG said ^ ^ ^. I had 2 of them & hated them. Also, remember that it's not only the height- a 12" tall enclosure will have a door that will be MUCH shorter than 12" for reaching into. Scraping your arm or banging your elbow gets "old".

I'd say the smaller enclosure (24 x 12 x12) is okay for a hatchling snake while it's young- roughly the first 2 years, but certainly NOT for the life of the snake when it gets to be 3-5' long, as a young to older adult BP.

You're better off planning to change enclosures once the snake grows- most ppl have trouble keeping young BPs in larger homes to start with- they often won't eat, & that's not a good thing.

If you only get the large enclosure now, you could sub-divide it until the snake grows, then later on do a makeover (you'd have to change the heat etc).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-06-2021 at 10:27 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (11-08-2021),Spicey (11-07-2021)

Thanks

Re: Ball python enclosure help

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    In a good PVC cage you should have no problem holding humidity.

Why 12 inches tall though? I find those difficult to get in and clean well. I can either have my arm in or be looking in... But my both. I prefer nothing shorter than 14 inches tall. I'm not a small person though so maybe it will be easier for you.

24*12*12 also seems small to me to use the Ball's entire life. I'd get the larger one.
    24 x 12 x 12 would have been temporary until upgrade. Not for whole life. 12 inches because that's all the guy makes. Someone said it's a pain to clean too. I'm not small either. But I read 12 to 14 for height and anything more is a waste. I really have no choice as the guy makes only 12 inch height for that enclosure. Is cleaning the only con? I can ask him if I can get it custom made. Pretty sure I can.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-06-2021 at 04:52 PM. Reason: language

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd go with a taller enclosure too, if that was me. Even if you're not a large person, 12" tall enclosures are a pain to reach in, as KMG said ^ ^ ^. I had 2 of them & hated them. Also, remember that it's not only the height- a 12" tall enclosure will have a door that will be MUCH shorter than 12" for reaching into. Scraping your arm or banging your elbow gets "old".

I'd say the smaller enclosure (24 x 12 x12) is okay for a hatchling snake while it's young- roughly the first 2 years, but certainly NOT for the life of the snake when it gets to be 3-5' long, as a young to older adult BP.

You're better off planning to change enclosures once the snake grows- most ppl have trouble keeping young BPs in larger homes to start with- they often won't eat, & that's not a good thing.

If you only get the large enclosure now, you could sub-divide it until the snake grows, then later on do a makeover (you'd have to change the heat etc).
    Thank you. That's what I was thinking. Small one now and then upgrade or subdivide the big one.

Is there a big difference in keeping humidity up in the big one compared to the small one? Or just about the same as long as everything is set up properly?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
    24 x 12 x 12 would have been temporary until upgrade. Not for whole life. 12 inches because that's all the guy makes. Someone said it's a pain to clean too. I'm not small either. But I read 12 to 14 for height and anything more is a waste. I really have no choice as the guy makes only 12 inch height for that enclosure. Is cleaning the only con? I can ask him if I can get it custom made. Pretty sure I can.
    Like mentioned above the 12 inches is the entire height of the cage. The door is probably cut into the front and that reduces the opening by a couple inches. It makes it small. Hard to get things in and out at times and even getting the snake in and out.

My preference is no shorter than 14 inches. I don't feel the extra height is a waste at all. Not for me or the snake.

I have some cages on order and getting the taller ones let me get a shelf in some of them for snakes I thought would use it. I think the cages look better and allow me to observe my collection much better.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-06-2021 at 05:02 PM. Reason: edited quoted material for language
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillseeker View Post
    Thank you. That's what I was thinking. Small one now and then upgrade or subdivide the big one.

Is there a big difference in keeping humidity up in the big one compared to the small one? Or just about the same as long as everything is set up properly?
    With proper set-up (humidity-holding substrate & minimal air exchange) either way should be fine. Personally I'd opt for the small one now, because later on it will be handy as a temp. holding area or useful for the next snake. I've subdivided enclosures before too, & that's a certain amount of work so it's secure & safe, & then you have to remove it. I'd just get a larger enclosure in the future.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Like mentioned above the 12 inches is the entire height of the cage. The door is probably cut into the front and that reduces the opening by a couple inches. It makes it small. Hard to get things in and out at times and even getting the snake in and out.

My preference is no shorter than 14 inches. I don't feel the extra height is a waste at all. Not for me or the snake.

I have some cages on order and getting the taller ones let me get a shelf in some of them for snakes I thought would use it. I think the cages look better and allow me to observe my collection much better.
    You're right. The part about taking the snake out got me. I messaged him. If he can make it 14 of even 16, then okay or else I'll go with the small one for now then upgrade. Then use the small one for the next one I get if I do. Thank you for the message. You've been helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    With proper set-up (humidity-holding substrate & minimal air exchange) either way should be fine. Personally I'd opt for the small one now, because later on it will be handy as a temp. holding area or useful for the next snake. I've subdivided enclosures before too, & that's a certain amount of work so it's secure & safe, & then you have to remove it. I'd just get a larger enclosure in the future.
    That's what I'm going to do. Small one now and upgrade later. Thanks.