Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,512

1 members and 1,511 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Do scratches on snakes dissapear with shedding?

I have noticed my bp has gotten some very small scratches on his belly. They seem like very mild cuts of the scales. But not deep at all. Looks kinda like a scratch you get from your cat. They are so small I am not sure a camera could pick it up. Some are a little pinkish/red but not bloody or anything. I have to assume he got them from something of my decor. I have used sandpaper on all of my decor very thoroughly until I myself couldn't have cut my fingers by pressing hard on the surface but he managed to do it.
    So I AGAIN sanded every edges for a long time even more so I hope this time its fine.
    Do snakes heal good? Are mild scratches ok since they would get them in the wild or should I do more?

Thanks

Re: Do scratches on snakes dissapear with shedding?

Pics would help if the scales are splitting or discolored could be something else. Make sure your substrate isn't too damp. If it is just a scratch should heal up after a shed or two. You can use antibiotic ointment if it looks bad or gets worse just make sure it's NOT the one with pain killer or a betadine soak just use some warm water and add betadine until it's tea colored. I've use both these on snakes that rub their chins. I would put him on paper towel as substrate until it's healed up.

Thanks

Yeah I have betadine but it's really very mild. I was just worried because I thought I sanded everything to be safe. I am bot that worried about the scratches that much since tgey seem to be more superficial Most of them just visiable in the scales. But of course I would want them gone if its troublesome for him. Wouldn't want an infection.
    I can try to make a photo next time I get him out. But honestly just with the bear eye you have to get really close to see it because tgeir so small.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    Yeah I have betadine but it's really very mild. I was just worried because I thought I sanded everything to be safe. I am bot that worried about the scratches that much since tgey seem to be more superficial Most of them just visiable in the scales. But of course I would want them gone if its troublesome for him. Wouldn't want an infection.
    I can try to make a photo next time I get him out. But honestly just with the bear eye you have to get really close to see it because tgeir so small.
    Germs don't need much room to enter a body, just saying. So if the skin is broken, it's safer to do a mild treatment (Betadine or Vetericyn, etc) & easier than worrying about it.

Oh, & for a few scratches, I would NOT soak the snake. Just dilute some Betadine (if using that) & use a Q-tip to wipe it on the scratches, & hold him briefly while it dries. Soaking the snake is over-kill & stressful.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-04-2021 at 02:55 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (11-04-2021)

Thanks
    Lots of good advice above and in general as long as you provide proper husbandry, keep the scratches clean, and provide good conditions for healing, snakes are remarkably good at recovering from injuries. Vetericyn is great as suggested above. A minor cut or scratch will most likely disappear completely after a shed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I wonder if they are scratches or just creases in the belly scales. Some snakes have them and some don't.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Well they have to be self inflicted since he didn't have them two weeks ago. Always had a spotless belly.
    He fed recently so after his resting time I can examin him again and see if it's better or worse.

Thanks

so the betadine does not need to be washed off?
    I honestly don't know which percentage my betadine has. I just searched betadine and bought the bedatine solution with povidine iodine, but theres no percentage on the bottle so I am a little unsure about the dilution.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CakeLike View Post
    so the betadine does not need to be washed off?
    I honestly don't know which percentage my betadine has. I just searched betadine and bought the bedatine solution with povidine iodine, but theres no percentage on the bottle so I am a little unsure about the dilution.
    I agree with bogertophis probably best not to soak if it is minor only would do this if there is a large area that you want to treat. When preparing a soak I just add some to water until it's tea colored. It's just like using it on a cut on yourself doesn't need to be washed off can just dip a q tip in it and just apply to the affected area. The triple antibiotic works very well also and doesn't need to be washed off either just dab on q tip and apply. Again though check to make sure it doesn't have a pain killer in the ingredients. One with pain killer is an absolute no no for snakes. The triple antibiotic ointment has been my go to for some time now for any injuries.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sp0420 View Post
    I agree with bogertophis probably best not to soak if it is minor only would do this if there is a large area that you want to treat. When preparing a soak I just add some to water until it's tea colored. It's just like using it on a cut on yourself doesn't need to be washed off can just dip a q tip in it and just apply to the affected area. The triple antibiotic works very well also and doesn't need to be washed off either just dab on q tip and apply. Again though check to make sure it doesn't have a pain killer in the ingredients. One with pain killer is an absolute no no for snakes. The triple antibiotic ointment has been my go to for some time now for any injuries.

A little of either "triple antiseptic ointment" (it's not "antibiotic" & that's not the same thing, though a common misnomer) or Neosporin (not pain relief formula) are both safe to use topically on snakes, but just bear in mind that they're petroleum-jelly (aka "Vaseline") based and they WILL mess up your snake's skin & future sheds if more than a tiny amount is used. That's why Vetericyn ointment is better- it's water-based & made FOR use on reptiles.

And btw, Betadine is the trade name for povidone-iodine- so using the generic is fine- same thing-it's made for humans but safe also for snakes- just should be diluted. Does not need to be washed off.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-05-2021 at 02:12 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast