Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,864

0 members and 2,864 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Citron Suntiger Reticulated python....

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, you have time to really design what you want, what will be safe for the animal, & sturdy for many years to come. And able to be moved, for sure.

As I thought about the greenhouse you thought about buying, I just remembered how metal sheds always are too- on the inside, where people can't/won't reach, there's always sharp edges exposed. They don't finish such things because it saves money- if they want to sell their product, the cost has to be competitive with other similar things on the market.

You weren't wrong to "think outside the box" for something you could easily repurpose for a snake home, but you always have to be on guard so you don't overlook design flaws- things that don't matter when products are used as intended, but things that can be very unsafe for your (our) purposes in keeping animals.
    I really was thinking about the shape of the structure and the room I want to provide her as an adult. Retics are smart and enjoy having choices of height and swimming at times. I almost want to buy a tub shower combo and put a top and shower doors on it and repurpose that but IDK...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Team Slytherin (12-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm glad you're here "brain-storming" this project- the discussion is bound to help others doing similar projects.

I'll toss in another idea: When I think of the weight & hassle (to water-proof & keep in that way) of building with wood, I'm wondering what else might be used instead? Mind you, I'm not a builder, but I was wondering about the strength of those vinyl fence posts if used as a framework- they'd be easy enough to drill & attach things to. Just a thought...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Freedom-Com...k-Post/4009495
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I'm glad you're here "brain-storming" this project- the discussion is bound to help others doing similar projects.

I'll toss in another idea: When I think of the weight & hassle (to water-proof & keep in that way) of building with wood, I'm wondering what else might be used instead? Mind you, I'm not a builder, but I was wondering about the strength of those vinyl fence posts if used as a framework- they'd be easy enough to drill & attach things to. Just a thought...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Freedom-Com...k-Post/4009495
    I do think they should be strong enough for frame work. Most of my weight will be glass I am sure. I want to put something besides plate glass. Rainbow flopped against plate glass that was 1/2 inch thick when she was trying to eat and broke it. Might go acrylic that is 1inch thick for Stacy. I could put a plastic tub in for the water and that would be light weight so then lining the walls in a way that I could disassemble and yet put shelves and other features in for her. She will have a garden of plants also If I build what I want. Vines and all. Her tree will be fake but should be visually appealing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I do think they should be strong enough for frame work. Most of my weight will be glass I am sure. I want to put something besides plate glass. Rainbow flopped against plate glass that was 1/2 inch thick when she was trying to eat and broke it. Might go acrylic that is 1inch thick for Stacy. I could put a plastic tub in for the water and that would be light weight so then lining the walls in a way that I could disassemble and yet put shelves and other features in for her. She will have a garden of plants also If I build what I want. Vines and all. Her tree will be fake but should be visually appealing.
    My hunch is they'd be strong enough too, but I'd want to see them in person & research a bit more. It's just something I thought of- there might be something else that you could use also?

Acrylic rather than plate glass sounds like a good choice too. Same for the fake tree- I've seen some really nice ones- Have fun brain-storming all this.

Thanks

My hunch is they'd be strong enough too, but I'd want to see them in person & research a bit more. It's just something I thought of- there might be something else that you could use also?

Acrylic rather than plate glass sounds like a good choice too. Same for the fake tree- I've seen some really nice ones- Have fun brain-storming all this.
    I am... and thinking about building her a hot water heater with PVC pipe and a fish tank heater with a pump for circulation. It worked really well for Rainbow and warm water helps with humidity also.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I am... and thinking about building her a hot water heater with PVC pipe and a fish tank heater with a pump for circulation. It worked really well for Rainbow and warm water helps with humidity also.
    In other words, her own "spa"? Great idea! And I see no reason why not?

Thanks

In other words, her own "spa"? Great idea! And I see no reason why not?
    Hope her own tropical paradise.

Thanks

She is doing great. She is so calm when being handed aldo.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2021)

Thanks
    Her eyes really stand out! Hope she stays calm.

Thanks

Her eyes really stand out! Hope she stays calm.
    So do I. I was really lucky with Rainbow. I am working with Stacy almost daily.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast